Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As it stands, I try to only attend the TLM and Byzantine Liturgy. However, I will gladly attend a reverent offering of the Novus Ordo. In fact, tonight I will be at Georgia's oldest Catholic parish for what will be a fine celebration of the NO.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, there is. It's called a territorial parish and the old code of canon law used to require you to register in it only. If you ask a local parish, they'll be able to tell you the boundaries.
I will not look it up, but the new code does not invalidate anything in the old code unless it is expressly written in the new code.

So if it is in the old code and the new code does not address it, then you are correct.

But it won't stop me from Parish shopping when things go sour.

Also, I have asked two different Parish Priests about boundarys in Sacramento, both stated there were none.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is the "registering" as a paraishioner that everyone keeps talking about all over OBOB?

If you are a member of a parish you register as parishioner with the parish. The parish has records of who is in their parish for reporting reasons, etc.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no such thing as Parish borders.
No, there are clear borders of diocesis and parishes.
If you life in a place, you belong to a parish and to a diocesis
Notes:
- to live means simply stay in a place for at least 30 days, no mater what is written on your identity card
- you are anyway free to attend the Mass where you want. You shall go to your parish only for certain sacraments that the parish priest have to keep record, like marriage (they ususlly give you the ok to go where you prefer)
- to register in a parish is only a kindness, not a mandatory act

If you are a member of a parish you register as parishioner with the parish. The parish has records of who is in their parish for reporting reasons, etc.

That is a US use only.
(I'm not registered in any parish)
And anyway it is simply a kindness with the parish, not a mandatory act

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I think my situation would stay the same. We already have two Sunday TLMs in my diocese (each at the extreme ends of the diocese--my diocese is pretty big). People come from far and wide to the TLM and we just about fill a small chapel. People can't usually travel that far for daily Masses.

That being said, if hypothetically I had the option of going to a TLM every day, I probably would almost every time.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
If the Motu Proprio (here the papal document that allow the Old Rite TLM Masses) is issued, you:

- will attend only TLM Masses
- will attend most of the times TLM Masses, but sometime also NO Masses
- will attend anyway your parish Mass, whichever rite it is
- other (please explain)
I guess that I'm a TLM supporter? I think that both should be reasonably offered and of course anyone can attend either.

The Church needs to carefully instruct the faithful in the TLM, it's language and prayers and at first the celebrants need to say the Mass very slowly so that the newer people to it can follow along without getting lost

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I will not look it up, but the new code does not invalidate anything in the old code unless it is expressly written in the new code.

So if it is in the old code and the new code does not address it, then you are correct.

But it won't stop me from Parish shopping when things go sour.

Also, I have asked two different Parish Priests about boundarys in Sacramento, both stated there were none.
By the current cannon code you are assigned a parish by your location. The pastor of that parish is responiblie for your pastoral care. That being said you have the right to attend mass at any parish. Some bishops and deioices interupt this stricktly still to this day for example the Dicoices of Arligton, others don't.

Canon 107—§1. Each person acquires a proper pastor and ordinary through both domicile and quasi-domicile.
§2. The proper pastor or ordinary of a transient is the pastor or ordinary of the place in which the transient is actually staying.
§3. The proper pastor of one who has only a diocesan domicile or quasi-domicile is the pastor of the place in which such a person is actually staying.

Canon 102—§1. Domicile is acquired by residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese, which either is joined with the intention of remaining there permanently unless called away, or has been protracted for five complete years.
§2. Quasi-domicile is acquired by residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese which either is joined with the intention of remaining there at least three months, unless called away, or has in fact been protracted for three months.
§3. A domicile or quasi-domicile within the territory of a parish is called parochial; in the territory of a diocese, even though not in a particular parish, it is called diocesan.

Canon 518—As a general rule a parish is to be territorial, that is it embraces all the Christian faithful within a certain territory; whenever it is judged useful, however, personal parishes are to be established based upon rite, language, the nationality of the Christian faithful within some territory or some other determining factor.

Can. 515 ß1 A parish is a certain community of Christ's faithful stably established within a particular Church, whose pastoral care, under the authority of the diocesan Bishop, is entrusted to a parish priest as its proper pastor.
ß2 The diocesan Bishop alone can establish, suppress or alter parishes. He is not to establish, suppress or notably alter them unless he has consulted the council of priests.
ß3 A lawfully established parish has juridical personality by virtue of the law itself.

http://www.catholicherald.com/saunde...s/ws011115.htm
http://www.st-joseph-foundation.org/cfd15-6b.htm

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
By the current cannon code you are assigned a parish by your location. The pastor of that parish is responiblie for your pastoral care. That being said you have the right to attend mass at any parish. Some bishops and deioices interupt this stricktly still to this day for example the Dicoices of Arligton, others don't.

Canon 107—§1. Each person acquires a proper pastor and ordinary through both domicile and quasi-domicile.
§2. The proper pastor or ordinary of a transient is the pastor or ordinary of the place in which the transient is actually staying.
§3. The proper pastor of one who has only a diocesan domicile or quasi-domicile is the pastor of the place in which such a person is actually staying.

Canon 102—§1. Domicile is acquired by residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese, which either is joined with the intention of remaining there permanently unless called away, or has been protracted for five complete years.
§2. Quasi-domicile is acquired by residence within the territory of a certain parish or at least of a diocese which either is joined with the intention of remaining there at least three months, unless called away, or has in fact been protracted for three months.
§3. A domicile or quasi-domicile within the territory of a parish is called parochial; in the territory of a diocese, even though not in a particular parish, it is called diocesan.

Canon 518—As a general rule a parish is to be territorial, that is it embraces all the Christian faithful within a certain territory; whenever it is judged useful, however, personal parishes are to be established based upon rite, language, the nationality of the Christian faithful within some territory or some other determining factor.

Can. 515 ß1 A parish is a certain community of Christ's faithful stably established within a particular Church, whose pastoral care, under the authority of the diocesan Bishop, is entrusted to a parish priest as its proper pastor.
ß2 The diocesan Bishop alone can establish, suppress or alter parishes. He is not to establish, suppress or notably alter them unless he has consulted the council of priests.
ß3 A lawfully established parish has juridical personality by virtue of the law itself.

http://www.catholicherald.com/saunde...s/ws011115.htm
[URL="http://www.st-joseph-foundation.org/cfd15-6b.htm"]http://www.st-joseph-foundation.org/cfd15-6b.htm[/URL]

I used to understand it this way too, but for some years, priests in the different parishes out my way have said that it isn't like that anymore. They have said that it's perfectly okay to register in a parish not where the person lives--perhaps the person's children belong to a parish school of a neighboring parish; or perhaps the programs of a neighboring parish better suit the person; or perhaps a wedding is desired in a certain church building (not the territorial parish building); or perhaps there has been a split of a parish where the person is just one block off remaining to worship with family and friends; and so on.) One MUST register though--it's a reporting thing about the Sacraments (even if one receives them in a different parish than the one he/she is registered in) and it's of course the burial thing. And of course, it's a matter of where to send the collection envelopes. I've even heard on the Catholic radio (out my way) that when a particular parish isn't following the Magisterium, a person has a right to up and register in another--taking his envelope donation with him/her! Now, belonging to a certain diocese still seems to be tied to where a person lives.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Church needs to carefully instruct the faithful in the TLM, it's language and prayers and at first the celebrants need to say the Mass very slowly so that the newer people to it can follow along without getting lost

:amen: 'Cos I know I'd be one of the "lost" ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.