Poll: Fewer than half think U.S. will win in Iraq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
More than half say country should speed up withdrawal.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Thursday indicated fewer than half of Americans believe the United States will win the Iraq war, and 55 percent of those surveyed said it should speed up withdrawal plans.

Only 21 percent said the United States definitely would win the war in Iraq, which began when a U.S.-led coalition invaded in 2003 to topple Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. Another 22 percent said they thought the United States probably would win.

Twenty percent of respondents said the United States was capable of winning in Iraq -- but probably would not. And 34 percent said they considered the war unwinnable.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/22/iraq.poll/index.html

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
CHARLES H said:
the one thing you forget. they chose to serve. nobody made them, and they knew full well the risks.

...therefore it's morally right to throw their lives away in a war we have little chance of winning?

It takes more than fortitude to win a war. Especially a foreign invasion against an entrenched guerilla resistance. We have almost no chance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CHARLES H

May 16, 2005
TEXAS
✟9,861.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
pantsman52 said:
Don't answer my question with a question. You said that they sometimes die for their country. Why are they dying in Iraq then?

because they were ordered to fight. and to their credit they did a great job at as well. now answer my question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pantsman52

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
CHARLES H said:
because they were ordered to fight. and to their credit they did a great job at as well. now answer my question.

Stop beating around the bush. You said that they are dying for our country. Yes, they are ordered to fight, but exactly how are they dying for their country by going to a broken dictators country on shady and unsubstantial claims of WMD's and using a pre-emptive doctrine with highly dangerous implications?

Upvote 0

CHARLES H

May 16, 2005
TEXAS
✟9,861.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
pantsman52 said:
Stop beating around the bush. You said that they are dying for our country. Yes, they are ordered to fight, but exactly how are they dying for their country by going to a broken dictators country on shady and unsubstantial claims of WMD's and using a pre-emptive doctrine with highly dangerous implications?

c'mon bro. i have already indicated i did'nt want to discuss the politics part of it. i did not skirt the question. i answered the one poised to me. perhaps you should have asked whats the reason behind why they were sent. you still have'nt answered my question.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
CHARLES H said:
ain't freedom great. it's great that we all have an opinion.

Freedom is great. And the Iraqis have spoken. They have decided to replace their dictator with radical Islamic clerics who want to trample on women's rights and who belong to the same group as those clerics in charge in Iran.

In the meantime the Taliban is gaining ground again in Afghanistan.

The Iraqis have spoken. And now Americans are starting to speak. And they're wondering whether it is worth hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives to replace one radical regime with another, or whether it just contributes to instability in the region?

Is there a single person out there who believes, even a little bit, that the elected representatives in Iraq would even talk the talk on being pro-American if we weren't occupying their country?

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
CHARLES H said:
the one thing you forget. they chose to serve. nobody made them, and they knew full well the risks.

I didn't choose to go fight in a war that was unnecessary and going to be very costly, one I correctly predicted would turn into a giant quagmire.

You in the military? Any kids over there? Barb and Jenna aren't in the desert, how about yours?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.