Poll: Do you partake in the "dark joy"?

Do I partake in the "Dark Joy" of gossip?

• Yes, I admit that I do.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I try not to. But intend to listen to gossip.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have no patience for gossip.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • When is a conversation gossip anyway?

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is human nature to want yo know a secret, or something remarkable that is little known. We look for sensational headlines, we buy tabloids, and we watch TMZ, becsuse "insider" knowledge makes us feel either a part of something or superior to it. Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we as Pope Francis puts it, partake in the dark joy of gossip.

More-
http://aleteia.org/blogs/the-daily-catch/daily-poll-do-you-partake-in-the-dark-joy/

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I gossip once in awhile on accident. When I realize I'm doing it, I silently pray for mercy and stop. I'm almost always aware of gossip, though. Amy does it a lot and I'll interrupt her and tell her that I don't want to hear it.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I watched TMZ once. It was terrible. I didn't know who 99% of the people they were talking about were (since I don't have TV), and when I saw how they acted, I realized I wasn't missing out. I guess they were going for a 'wacky and fun' atmosphere on the show, but it came off to me as tasteless, petty, and irritating. If that's gossip, count me out!

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I watched TMZ once. It was terrible. I didn't know who 99% of the people they were talking about were (since I don't have TV), and when I saw how they acted, I realized I wasn't missing out. I guess they were going for a 'wacky and fun' atmosphere on the show, but it came off to me as tasteless, petty, and irritating. If that's gossip, count me out!

I don't care at all about celebrity gossip, and I haven't heard of most current entertainers. I do quite often find myself gossiping about the physical attributes of ladyfolk with my buddies though.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't care at all about celebrity gossip, and I haven't heard of most current entertainers. I do quite often find myself gossiping about the physical attributes of ladyfolk with my buddies though.
Hmmm, we do this too, so if that counts as gossip, I guess I gossip more than I thought. I'd call it lust though. My friends and I have one simple word for attractive females: "Would." And we know exactly what that means. Pervs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
It is human nature to want yo know a secret, or something remarkable that is little known. We look for sensational headlines, we buy tabloids, and we watch TMZ, becsuse "insider" knowledge makes us feel either a part of something or superior to it. Perhaps we should ask ourselves if we as Pope Francis puts it, partake in the dark joy of gossip.

More-
http://aleteia.org/blogs/the-daily-catch/daily-poll-do-you-partake-in-the-dark-joy/

I don't gossip. Nasty, destructive stuff. I have been on the receiving end and it was vicious.

I try to make a rule of never saying anything about anyone that I would not say in front of them. It is not easy to keep, but I do my best.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't gossip. Nasty, destructive stuff. I have been on the receiving end and it was vicious.

I try to make a rule of never saying anything about anyone that I would not say in front of them. It is not easy to keep, but I do my best.
I don't think anyone can not gossip forever. We all do it sometimes without even realizing it.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Oh definitely! Very, very wise!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always thought it meant to do harm to another by smearing them. Or spreading things true or untrue to ruin their reputation. As someone here said previously, if you can't say to them, you should probably not say it.

I think there is a difference when you are looking to address a concern for no other reason than resolution.
I'm not really sure I know exactly what gossip is.

I probably don't do it though. I'd guess I'm not social enough to.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gossip is hard to define. "I heard from a guy on the radio who claimed to have insider knowledge that the Giants are going to go after so-and-so with their first round pick." is gossip. I'm not sure that's sinfull though.
I feel same. It is hard to define but I think it is the intent behind the 'gossip' that makes it sinful.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0