Political Islam is turning Egypt into Afghanistan

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Sad. Islam was a tragedy for Egypt. The Khemetics and the Ptolemaic Greeks did so much for not only their local civilization, but for the world. Then the Coptics. Three great cultures destroyed by the invading Arab hordes, who defaced the great pyramids for their mosques and military forts, who ransacked and destroyed the Christian churches, and corrupted the history of one of the greatest nations to have ever existed. :(

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh the horror. Women who cover their hair. The humanity! Women who cover their face. *swoons* But what really gets me, hijabis and niqabis participating in the political process. They might get their modesty cooties all over the election. Who knows what mayhem will result? *faints*

Veil as Resistance - a photographic essay of Muslim women and social change in Egypt

It would be just as easy to find a ton of pictures of brightly dressed hijabi women that crowd streets all over egypt. Some of my most brightly colored and flambouyent (yet modest) outfits come from Egypt.

But I guess the niqab plays with people's minds more. Shouldn't people be enthused that women participate in the political process, no matter how they dress?

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Osel said:
Sad. Islam was a tragedy for Egypt. The Khemetics and the Ptolemaic Greeks did so much for not only their local civilization, but for the world. Then the Coptics. Three great cultures destroyed by the invading Arab hordes, who defaced the great pyramids for their mosques and military forts, who ransacked and destroyed the Christian churches, and corrupted the history of one of the greatest nations to have ever existed. :(

I'm reading a great book right now - "Cairo, A Cultural History" by Andrew Beattie. In it, he describes the evolution of Umm al Dunya, from Pharonic Memphis to modern day al Qahara. Far from destroying egyptian culture, he describes how each sucessive group built upon the foundation of the previous. The egypt of today is just as egyptian as egypts of the past.

Also worth noting is that pharonic dynasties destroyed temples, tombs and entire cities of their predisessors. Most tombs were looted long before muslims ruled egypt. Coptic churches were built often built on top of pagan temples. Heck, they even appropriated the tree of Atum, claiming it was the tree under which Jesus' family rested while they were in Egypt. And it wasn't the muslims who took the relics of Saint Mark to Venice in 829.

All in all, I highly recommend this book. As a frequent visitor to Cairo, I learned a ton of new information that I look forward to using on my next visit.

Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Look at our country. Church and State now mix together. We have no right to be self-righteous on the issue since we are no better. It's very hypocritical when there are Christians give a whole holier than thou critism of Islam being involved in politics in mid east countries but a lot of them need to seriously look in the mirror and what they are trying to do here in my country which I as well weep for.

Osel said:

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittlePinky82 said:
Look at our country. Church and State now mix together. We have no right to be self-righteous on the issue since we are no better. It's very hypocritical when there are Christians give a whole holier than thou critism of Islam being involved in politics in mid east countries but a lot of them need to seriously look in the mirror and what they are trying to do here in my country which I as well weep for.
:yawn:

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittlePinky82 said:
So do you want to live a religious theocracy ?
Sure, why not? What does that have to do with the US though? The US isn't a religious theocracy. Far from it. It is hard to believe anyone could in all seriousness make a comparison to the religion problems of Egypt and the US. I guess I was wrong though.

LittlePinky82 said:
Don't learn and look at what's going on it's going to be too late. First the come for the gays.....
You make me sleepy. :yawn:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Far from it? I don't think so. If you're not upset you're just not paying attention. Now when judges are up for nomination of the highest court of the land guess what he/she has to tell plays a factor? Their religion which the founding fathers didn't want to play a factor. Why else did Bush keep going on and on about Harriet Miers and her religion for her nomination? Why else did he have James Dobson come out and go "wink wink, nudge nudge"? Give me a break. What about not having gay marriage? Roe V Wade? Wake up and look around you. The Germans didn't know what was going on either and look what happened to them. As I said: first they came for the gay people..... And hey when it does happen don't say I didn't warn you. It's your own fault for "being sleepy".

Letalis said:
Sure, why not? What does that have to do with the US though? The US isn't a religious theocracy. Far from it. It is hard to believe anyone could in all seriousness make a comparison to the religion problems of Egypt and the US. I guess I was wrong though.

You make me sleepy. :yawn:

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittlePinky82 said:
Far from it? I don't think so. If you're not upset you're just not paying attention. Now when judges are up for nomination of the highest court of the land guess what he/she has to tell plays a factor? Their religion which the founding fathers didn't want to play a factor.
They didn't? I had no idea. They expected the American people to vote contrary to their religious values? Hmm...interesting. I always thought that was a silly liberal innovation.

LittlePinky82 said:
Why else did Bush keep going on and on about Harriet Miers and her religion for her nomination? Why else did he have James Dobson come out and go "wink wink, nudge nudge"?
What about it?

LittlePinky82 said:
As I said: first they came for the gay people..... And hey when it does happen don't say I didn't warn you. It's your own fault for "being sleepy".
They're coming for the gay people?

Take out your tinfoil hats everyone.

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
LittlePinky82 said:
You think everybody in Egypt does? I didn't know you were a national spokesman for Egypt and all their citizen's.

i am not a national spokesman for Egypt , i just ask God to protect my nation
( the coptic nation ) we have millions of martyrs since our church founded in about 62 AD. ( the church of Alexandria ) till now to preserve the faith and the real christianty

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

LittlePinky82

Nov 26, 2005
Tennessee
✟950.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Uh yeah. Remember the big hubub last year with the Jews when Jerry Falwell had stickers going around that said to vote for your moral values and vote republican? Remember last year when many people said that Bush "won" (stole) the last election because of "moral values"? Please give me a break. Playing ignorant won't buy it with me.

Letalis said:
They didn't? I had no idea. They expected the American people to vote contrary to their religious values? Hmm...interesting. I always thought that was a silly liberal innovation.

What about it?

They're coming for the gay people?

Take out your tinfoil hats everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
LittlePinky82 said:
Uh yeah. Remember the big hubub last year with the Jews when Jerry Falwell had stickers going around that said to vote for your moral values and vote republican? Remember last year when many people said that Bush "won" (stole) the last election because of "moral values"? Please give me a break. Playing ignorant won't buy it with me.

If people think moral issues made a difference in the 2004 election, then we should really give a lot of credit to: Canada, Massachusetts, San Francisco and other places that were so timely in reminding people of one more issue that could affect our nation's future.

In a June 1996 interview in the gay and lesbian magazine The Advocate, Clinton said: " I remain opposed to same-sex marriage. I believe marriage is an institution for the union of a man and a woman. This has been my long-standing position, and it is not being reviewed or reconsidered."

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
copticorthodoxy said:
i am not a national spokesman for Egypt , i just ask God to protect my nation
( the coptic nation ) we have millions of martyrs since our church founded in about 62 AD. ( the church of Alexandria ) till now to preserve the faith and the real christianty

I've met some coptics that were from Egypt and they seemed to be deeply devoted to their religion. One even had a tatoo of a special cross.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Muslim Brotherhood supports Coptic Candidates

"The Muslim Brotherhood has supported non-Muslim candidates for parliament," Issam El-Aryan told IslamOnline.net's online radio Tuesday, November 22.

"The Copts are our partners and enjoy as equal rights and duties as Muslims and have the right to run for parliamentary polls and ministerial and public posts."

Keep in mind that Mubarak's party still controls the vast majority of seats in pariliament, that the country has been under emergency law since the early 1980s and opposition parties will not be able to accomplish anything because the NDP still controls all the strings.

Also, Muslim Brotherhood supporters are being beaten and killed during this election, so it's not like they're coming out on top here either.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Anyone have some more info on the Muslim Brotherhood party? I just read the news briefs and they are something of an oddity. Pro-Islamic theocracy but supporting non-Muslim candidates, condemnations of the use of violence, pro-democratic elections. I am no great fan of theocracy, mostly because of the historical examples of them are usually not pretty, but I would take a benign theocracy over and oppressive secular government in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0