New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you look back over this thread you wont find anywhere where I said all police officers are bad. What I sometimes ask is: why does that vast majority of good police officers seem unable to stop that tiny minority from doing all those bad things? :scratch:
tulc(is curious about things)

The problem is that police are a closed group, where they feel most people can't relate to the pressure of their jobs. While police work is not the most dangerous profession, it is by no means safe (ranks 16th in fatalities on the job), and it has the unique position of having a significant number of its fatalities come from being murdered. When you have to rely on your fellow officers to back you up in life and death situations, you develop a comradery that makes it difficult to turn in your coworkers for misdeeds (unless those misdeeds directly put your officers at risk). This insulates most bad cops from being caught or convicted (the "blue wall" you may hear of).

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Under what circumstances?
Generally:

"he reached for my gun/tazer"
"he went for a weapon*" *no weapons actually found
They actually went for/had a weapon

Another problem that causes higher incidents in our country is due to the 2nd amendment. So many suspects have guns, and that understandably makes cops a bit edgier, and raises the odds of them having to confront armed suspects. This is one of the costs of the right to bear arms.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Generally:

Another problem that causes higher incidents in our country is due to the 2nd amendment. So many suspects have guns, and that understandably makes cops a bit edgier, and raises the odds of them having to confront armed suspects. This is one of the costs of the right to bear arms.

Yes I value the 2nd amendment but I do not own nor carry a weapon. People, just like during Prohibition, will get firearms no matter what. The danger is in undermining the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution. As for the policemen/women, I think they get a bad rap because of a few rotten apples.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes I value the 2nd amendment but I do not own nor carry a weapon. People, just like during Prohibition, will get firearms no matter what. The danger is in undermining the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution. As for the policemen/women, I think they get a bad rap because of a few rotten apples.
Actually they won't get guns the vast majority of the time, this has been shown in countries where they have banned guns from the general populace. Black market weapons become so expensive that common crooks can't really afford them. Organized crime will have them, but they aren't the ones breaking into your house.

I generally support the 2nd amendment for the purpose of protecting against foreign incursions and to a lesser degree domestic threats.

Upvote 0

Cactus Jack

Jul 12, 2011
somewhere
✟17,259.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Generally:

If they cannot do their job without taking the lives of others...if they cannot do their job effectively because they are (as I have seen) literally scared of what the other person may be carrying...then perhaps they need to find another career. You cannot justify being a doctor if the sight of blood makes you vomit.

I was working on a speech earlier that I will be making in a week, and it covers this subject. Here's a snippet-

Cactus Jack said:
“The need to keep a firm boundary between the military and the police is paramount; the military is here to fight the enemies of the state and the police are to serve and protect the people of the state.

When the military accepts both roles they become unable, or perhaps “simply incompetent” is a better description, to tell the difference between both the enemies of the state and the people; and often times the weaker and the most unarmed of the two, the people of the state, become victims of both the enemies of the state and of the state itself. Thus defeating the purpose of the military to begin with because when push comes to shove, under those conditions the people of the state can clearly defend themselves and their nation from the enemies of the state far better by themselves than when they must fight against both their known enemies and the very same force enlisted to protect them in the beginning.

If you look at it from another angle, you will see this clearly explains the absolute need for the core principles defined in the US Constitution, such as the most important Amendment– the right to keep and bear arms.” – Cactus Jack
I have not done a grammar check on it yet.

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tulc's stat is as worthless as Obama at Coast Guard on the climate this week. The thing that needs to be clear and specific is not.

As Baltimore implodes, notice that none of the first 25 homicides are police. Amongst blacks, police did kill 96 in acts of arrest or related work. 6-9K black men died at the hands of each other.

If there is not turmoil in the black population, the Democratic party will lose about 10% of its voting power.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tulc's stat is as worthless as Obama at Coast Guard on the climate this week. The thing that needs to be clear and specific is not.

As Baltimore implodes, notice that none of the first 25 homicides are police. Amongst blacks, police did kill 96 in acts of arrest or related work. 6-9K black men died at the hands of each other.

If there is not turmoil in the black population, the Democratic party will lose about 10% of its voting power.

That's easy to fix: start a thread that explains why we shouldn't be aware of how many people are killed by police on a daily basis. For instance they killed 9 people yesterday. :sigh:
tulc(will look forward to seeing your thread) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
US police have killed 446 people in 2015
http://www.killedbypolice.net/
tulc(9 people just today!) :eek:

I went to the link you provided. As the article said, there is neither justification or non-justification for the killings by the police. The link doesn't really provide the source for this report. I always consider the source of something very important. Or perhaps once again I simply did not see it. The topic of the link however tends to be derogatory and slanted towards police impropriety.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to the link you provided. As the article said, there is neither justification or non-justification for the killings by the police. The link doesn't really provide the source for this report. I always consider the source of something very important. Or perhaps once again I simply did not see it. The topic of the link however tends to be derogatory and slanted towards police impropriety.

The articles are (for the most part) the basic facts as reported by the various police departments to news organizations in the area where the deaths take place, they're usually just a little bit after when the person(s) have died. Think of them as news bulletins then full on researched articles. They usually give enough info to do more in depth research into the story behind the persons death if something catches your eye. I really haven't detected an anti-police bias in the ones I've read. :wave:
tulc(thanks you for the interest you've shown) :)

Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where are the statistics of police killed, innocent people killed by thugs, rapists, etc. I'd like to see those here.

You can always start threads to discuss those subjects. :wave:
tulc(encourages you to do so) :)

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It doesn't matter what the reason is, if a cop EVER kills someone, something went wrong. It is not a cops job to kill people, that is a result from from improper actions taken, training, staffing, or equipment. Note that only the first part is actually in the control of the police. We have to properly train, fund and equip our police if we want them to do their job right. Underfunded cops will have to resort to lethal violence more often, no matter how good they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.