Please list ALL biblical aspects of Christmas, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where in the bible is Christmas?

Where did Christmas come from?

Where did Jesus say to celebrate his birthday?

Why was the date December 25th chosen to celebrate Jesus?

Where is black friday in the bible?

When did God or Jesus say shop til you drop for gifts you cant afford or go into debt for these gifts in honor of Jesus?

Where does giving come from?
The wise men brought gifts for Jesus who was the king and it is customary to brings gifts for a king. They DIDNT bring gifts for each other.

Where is 12 days of Christmas in the bible and where are its origins?

Where is mistletoe in the bible?

Where is a Christmas tree in the bible?

Where is Santa Clause in the bible?

Where is flying reindeer in the bible?

Christmas is NOT biblical, its just a tradition of man that has the name Jesus slapped on top of all the original pagan origins that are still going on. We should be giving, helping others and telling others bout Jesus 365 days a year.

While many still try to keep Christmas as holy as possible, lets not also be blind to the fact of where this holiday truly came from, its origins, and much of the pagan origins that are still being practiced. It was only a couple of hundred years ago it was banned in the US.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

-----

Heaven itself celebrated the great thing God has done. So should we. How we do it is less important, you don't have to have a tree or all that stuff, but we should celebrate it.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Gospel of Luke.

The birth of Jesus.

He didn't, but Wise Men and shepherds celebrated it first time around. Angels too.

Because it was 9 months after the date at which people believed the Annunciation had taken place.

When did God or Jesus say shop til you drop for gifts you cant afford or go into debt for these gifts in honor of Jesus?

Nothing to do with Christmas.

Santa Claus is derived from St. Nicholas, an ancient Christian pastor with a reputation for giving gifts to poor children. He used to have his own day, on December 6.

Christmas is NOT biblical, its just a tradition of man that has the name Jesus slapped on top of all the original pagan origins that are still going on

Rubbish. There are no pagan origins.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

"But the angel said to [the shepherds], 'Do not be afraid! See, I bring you a great and joyous gospel which is for all people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest! And peace on earth among men with whom He is pleased.' When the angels had gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds began saying to one another, 'Let us go straight to Bethlehem then, and see this thing that has happened with the Lord has made known to us.'" - Luke 2:10-15

An extension of the earlier Feast of Theophany, also called Epiphany.

Around the same place He said to gather the Scriptures together into a unified Canon and to trust them as the infallible written word of God.

Because it is precisely nine months after the traditional day understood as when He was conceived, March 25th. It was a general opinion among many that Jesus, being perfect, had a totally perfect life and thus died on the same day He was conceived. March 25th is the traditional date of the crucifixion, thus it was when many opined that He had been conceived. Which is why March 25th is celebrated as the Feast of the Annunciation. Nine months from March 25th is December 25th.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, an American civil holiday. Black Friday is a cultural phenomenon birthed from American consumerism, having nothing neither to do with the American civil holiday of Thanksgiving, and even less to do with the Christian Feast of the Nativity. As such this question is about as meaningful as asking "Where is Pauly Shore in the Bible?"

I thought we were talking about Christmas. If you want to start a completely unrelated topic about American consumerism, then you may want to do that, but you opened this topic to talk about Christmas.

You may want to make up your mind.

The wise men brought gifts for Jesus who was the king and it is customary to brings gifts for a king. They DIDNT bring gifts for each other.
Well, giving as a general principle--kindness and generosity--is advocated in Scripture. I don't know why you'd have a problem with people being nice to one another.

The specific custom of giving gifts on Christmas is most likely a result of the infusion of St. Nicolas Day customs into Christmas during the 19th century. Similar to the hanging of stockings, which was originally a Dutch custom of children leaving their shoes out on the night before St. Nicolas Day (December 6th).

The Feast Day of the Nativity (Christmas) is December 25th. But like many other parts of the Christian Calendar, Christmas is a liturgical season, known as Christmastide, which begins on the Feast of the Nativity and lasts until Epiphany on January 6th, also called Theophany in the Christian East. Similarly Eastertide and Pentecost are seasons of the Church year in addition to specific Feast Days. Christmastide lasts twelve days because that's how many days there are from the Feast of the Nativity until the Feast of the Epiphany.

You can find all these in the same place where the Bible tells us that there is a definitive Biblical Canon and spells out which books are properly Scripture.

Christmas is NOT biblical, its just a tradition of man that has the name Jesus slapped on top of all the original pagan origins that are still going on. We should be giving, helping others and telling others bout Jesus 365 days a year.

While many still try to keep Christmas as holy as possible, lets not also be blind to the fact of where this holiday truly came from, its origins, and much of the pagan origins that are still being practiced. It was only a couple of hundred years ago it was banned in the US.
Your opinion is noted and rejected.

I plan on doing what the faithful shepherds did when they heard the angelic evangel about the birth of the Christ Child--I will go to worship and adore Him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Since I personally think all anti-Christmas threads in GT should ideally be boycotted or at least derailed, I'll interrupt this one with a joke:

There's these two kids who are friends, one Christian, one Jewish. It's mid-December, and they're curious about each other's traditions. Jewish kid asks the Christian "How does your family celebrate Christmas?" Christian kid goes on to talk about the decorations, and the food, and the shopping and the wrapping and giving of gifts and all that. Then he asks the Jewish kid how his family celebrates Christmas. Jewish kid says "My family owns the big retail store downtown. Every Christmas day we gather around the cash register and sing 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus'".

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When I posted I hadn't yet seen Chesterton's or Radagast's posts. Yet we apparently were all thinking the same thing concerning the angelic appearance in Luke's Gospel.

I'm glad to be in good like-minded company.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I posted I hadn't yet seen Chesterton's or Radagast's posts. Yet we apparently were all thinking the same thing concerning the angelic appearance in Luke's Gospel.

I'm glad to be in good like-minded company.

:)

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

-----

Heaven itself celebrated the great thing God has done. So should we. How we do it is less important, you don't have to have a tree or all that stuff, but we should celebrate it.

This is the Feast of Tabernacles you are describing here. They were on their way to Jerusalem for the Feast.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel of Luke.

The birth of Jesus.

He didn't, but Wise Men and shepherds celebrated it first time around. Angels too.

Because it was 9 months after the date at which people believed the Annunciation had taken place.

Santa Claus is derived from St. Nicholas, an ancient Christian pastor with a reputation for giving gifts to poor children. He used to have his own day, on December 6.

You might want to go do some actual research because you are wrong on much of this.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"But the angel said to [the shepherds], 'Do not be afraid! See, I bring you a great and joyous gospel which is for all people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest! And peace on earth among men with whom He is pleased.' When the angels had gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds began saying to one another, 'Let us go straight to Bethlehem then, and see this thing that has happened with the Lord has made known to us.'" - Luke 2:10-15

An extension of the earlier Feast of Theophany, also called Epiphany.

Around the same place He said to gather the Scriptures together into a unified Canon and to trust them as the infallible written word of God.

Because it is precisely nine months after the traditional day understood as when He was conceived, March 25th. It was a general opinion among many that Jesus, being perfect, had a totally perfect life and thus died on the same day He was conceived. March 25th is the traditional date of the crucifixion, thus it was when many opined that He had been conceived. Which is why March 25th is celebrated as the Feast of the Annunciation. Nine months from March 25th is December 25th.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, an American civil holiday. Black Friday is a cultural phenomenon birthed from American consumerism, having nothing neither to do with the American civil holiday of Thanksgiving, and even less to do with the Christian Feast of the Nativity. As such this question is about as meaningful as asking "Where is Pauly Shore in the Bible?"

I thought we were talking about Christmas. If you want to start a completely unrelated topic about American consumerism, then you may want to do that, but you opened this topic to talk about Christmas.

You may want to make up your mind.

Well, giving as a general principle--kindness and generosity--is advocated in Scripture. I don't know why you'd have a problem with people being nice to one another.

The specific custom of giving gifts on Christmas is most likely a result of the infusion of St. Nicolas Day customs into Christmas during the 19th century. Similar to the hanging of stockings, which was originally a Dutch custom of children leaving their shoes out on the night before St. Nicolas Day (December 6th).

The Feast Day of the Nativity (Christmas) is December 25th. But like many other parts of the Christian Calendar, Christmas is a liturgical season, known as Christmastide, which begins on the Feast of the Nativity and lasts until Epiphany on January 6th, also called Theophany in the Christian East. Similarly Eastertide and Pentecost are seasons of the Church year in addition to specific Feast Days. Christmastide lasts twelve days because that's how many days there are from the Feast of the Nativity until the Feast of the Epiphany.

You can find all these in the same place where the Bible tells us that there is a definitive Biblical Canon and spells out which books are properly Scripture.

Your opinion is noted and rejected.

I plan on doing what the faithful shepherds did when they heard the angelic evangel about the birth of the Christ Child--I will go to worship and adore Him.

-CryptoLutheran

A Lot of your answers seem to be based on answers you find on most Catholic websites and not the actual origins of how Christmas came about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Via Cassian

Fuga mundi (flight from the world)
Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Gospel of Luke.

The birth of Jesus.

LOL, I love this post because its theology and history are correct and pithy. It even uses the correct hermeneutical term, "Rubbish," when answering the claim about pagan origins. BUT the main reason I like this post is that I laughed out loud when I read it, and I had just read a thread where someone asked who had laughed today -- I had not, but can now answer YES! Thanks.

And, I can remember when I believed all of what the original poster said. So, I see myself in all of his questions. It is easy to be led to those conclusions in today's culture. Keep on seeking the truth, it is a personal journey. :thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I personally think all anti-Christmas threads in GT should ideally be boycotted or at least derailed, I'll interrupt this one with a joke:

There's these two kids who are friends, one Christian, one Jewish. It's mid-December, and they're curious about each other's traditions. Jewish kid asks the Christian "How does your family celebrate Christmas?" Christian kid goes on to talk about the decorations, and the food, and the shopping and the wrapping and giving of gifts and all that. Then he asks the Jewish kid how his family celebrates Christmas. Jewish kid says "My family owns the big retail store downtown. Every Christmas day we gather around the cash register and sing 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus'".

Whats wrong, is finding out that Christmas came from paganism and not the bible really bothering you. It is what it is and the truth. Im not saying give up Christmas, just know it origins and why you do what you do and that its not based on anything biblical, but just something the RCC passed along and can be easily proven too.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A Lot of your answers seem to be based on answers you find on most Catholic websites and not the actual origins of how Christmas came about.

So my answers don't come from anti-Christian websites that lack any credibility?

I'm okay with that. I like to deal with credible, documented history, not revisionist fairy tales invented by fraudulent hucksters who don't do anything but peddle made-up garbage by such clowns as Alexander Hislop.

I prefer reality over fiction. I prefer truth over error.

-CryptoLuthearn

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's some more biblical reasons other than what others have already listed. I'll just link to a page of scripture verses here: What Does the Bible Say About Holy Communion?

You see, a holy day, especially a feast day in the Church is where one participates in the worship of Christ and partakes of the eucharist.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whats wrong, is finding out that Christmas came from paganism and not the bible really bothering you. It is what it is and the truth. Im not saying give up Christmas, just know it origins and why you do what you do and that its not based on anything biblical, but just something the RCC passed along and can be easily proven too.

I've never done one before, so I went to one of those make-a-meme sites to find some funny .gif response. But even that is more trouble than your post is worth. It's so loaded and so wrong on so many levels and in so many directions, here's a picture of an okapi: That's all.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So my answers don't come from anti-Christian websites that lack any credibility?

I'm okay with that. I like to deal with credible, documented history, not revisionist fairy tales invented by fraudulent hucksters

I agree. I hate lies about history, just as I hate lies about anything else. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

St Luke 2:1-20

Christ's birth.

Where did Jesus say not to? And what excuse is there to not celebrate the birth of the Lord and Savior of all Creation?

Because it was already being celebrated between that day and January 6th inclusive all over Christendom and it was finalized since it was exactly 9 months (normal gestation) from the Feast of the Annunciation, which predates it.

Fallacy of False Equivalence between the religious celebration and the secular.

See the immediate above.

Oh, and I've never gone into such debt.

God.

It is still gift-giving.

See one of my earlier paragraphs.

Same fallacy as above.

Same fallacy as above.

A combination of same fallacy as above along with the fact that it is merely a English translation of St. Nicolas from Dutch.

Same fallacy as above.

Sorry, but as a historian, I know your opinion is dead wrong, and my post already gives the Scripture for the Feast of the Nativity of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is used every time that feast is celebrated.

[quyote]While many still try to keep Christmas as holy as possible, lets not also be blind to the fact of where this holiday truly came from, its origins, and much of the pagan origins that are still being practiced. It was only a couple of hundred years ago it was banned in the US.[/quote]

Sorry; your ideas are wrong. I'm a real historian; the idea of it coming from Pagan roots is conspiracy theorist and bogus, bunk history. It predates Dies Natalis Solis Invicti in the historical record, it was 2 days later than the last day of the celebration of Saturnia, and the finalization of the date was, according to the historical record, based on the Feast of the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary by St. Gabriel the Archangels of the Lord Jesus Christ. Christmas trees have their root in German Christmas plays, and was a part of Christian celebration of the time.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No lies here, I have told the actual Truth about how Christmas came along and you just refuse to admit it or are in shock. Christmas came from Pagan origins and the RCC came along and made some tweeks, slapped the name Jesus on top and we have been celebrating it ever since. Going to a RCC or Catholic website that starts at certain dates and ignores everything before it, can make you feel better about it, but its still not the truth about the origins.
Do NON BIASED research and you will find out.

I still go to church on Christmas sometimes, go to Christmas plays and banquets to fellowship with my church members, but Im also not blind to the origins of the Holiday anymore either.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No lies here, I have told the actual Truth about how Christmas came along and you just refuse to admit it or are in shock.

Sorry; the actual historical record proves your opinions to be bunk.

Christmas came from Pagan origins and the RCC came along and made some tweeks, slapped the name Jesus on top and we have been celebrating it ever since.

Sorry; but again, ACTUAL WRITTEN RECORD has leading Christians basing the date after the Annunciation.

Going to a RCC or Catholic website that starts at certain dates and ignores everything before it, can make you feel better about it, but its still not the truth about the origins.
Do NON BIASED research and you will find out.

I'm a real historian with a real peer-reviewed degree, and I know for a God-given fact that my view is right.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No lies here, I have told the actual Truth about how Christmas came along and you just refuse to admit it or are in shock.

In shock, really? How can we be shocked by a Puritan heresy over 200 years old, as if we hadn't heard it before?

Okay maybe it's not heresy, but just plain legalistic silliness from people who don't really understand their alleged faith.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.