Please help – looking for inspirational reading that is orthodox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican

Lastnight, the GF and I went to Barnes and Nobles. She commented that one of the differences between us is the section of Christian books we were in: Me – in the section with Chesterton and Kalistos Ware. She in the Christian inspirational section. Surely someone in the last 2,000 years has written something she would enjoy reading that isn’t ridiculous Joel Osteen, TD Jakes sort of Gnostic psychobabble

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
gtsecc said:
tell me why please/
I skimmed one of his books, and I thought it was great.

He's a mixed bag- the Prodigal Son one is good but some of his other stuff is wacky.

I would recommend This Tremendous Lover, but its very Eucharistic and sacramental, so she may not like that. What about Total Abandonment to Divine Providence (Cassaude)? Would she read something like a selection of meditations from St. Therese? Or Merton Wisdom of the Desert?

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
gtsecc said:
Henri Nouwen also, don't you think?

Yes, he is very good. I have read a few of his books, and they helped me sustain faith through a very trying period of my life. They are mainly focused on sorrow and suffering, and how such things that could be seen as negative are, when joined to Christ's suffering, an opportunity for growth and love.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

gtsecc said:
tell me why please/
I skimmed one of his books, and I thought it was great.
I have found him to be unpredictible, and at times seriously theologically unsound. I guess emotively he is probably alright...but it's just not my cup of tea. I don't want to buy a book written by a priest whose picture is plastered on the back not wearing his clerics. I am probably just a cleical garb bigot, though.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
RoseofLima said:
I have found him to be unpredictible, and at times seriously theologically unsound. I guess emotively he is probably alright...but it's just not my cup of tea. I don't want to buy a book written by a priest whose picture is plastered on the back not wearing his clerics. I am probably just a cleical garb bigot, though.
Oh yeah - could barf when they don't wear their collars and do the buddy thing - but, this is for the GF, and she goes to a non-denominational parish. I need help easing her into the fact that we have a personal relationship with Christ AND corporate one, not instead of one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
gtsecc said:
Oh yeah - could barf when they don't wear their collars and do the buddy thing - but, this is for the GF, and she goes to a non-denominational parish. I need help easing her into the fact that we have a personal relationship with Christ AND corporate one, not instead of one.
9242.jpg
http://www.scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=28

This was written by an Anglican priest who converted in 1904. His father was the Acrhbishop of Canterbury. His name is Robert Hugh Benson.

I t should erase any doubts that we don;t understand a relationship with Christ on the most personal and intimate level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gave my mom a copy of Dale Ahlquist's G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense last month. After reading the first 6 chapters, she said to me, "I don't see how anyone could read this book and not become a Catholic."

She was raised Congregationalist. Do not recall her ever going to church. Bought her the book because the day she was released from the hospital after near fatal congestive heart failure, she had a religious experience . She had seen a line from Julian of Norwich in, of all things, a mystery novel. "All shall be well and all manner of things shall be well" stuck with her and during her experience, she knew it was absolutely true. Chesterton, who she heard of but never read, is now filling her in on the faith. Doing a good job of it too. I have Chesterton quoted to me every time I see her. Ahlquist is a good introduction. I tried Orthodoxy first but she had trouble with it until she read Ahlquist. Now she is reading Orthodoxy and wants me to get her Heretics. And of course the Father Brown series. She wants all of those.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.