razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From my experience most people do have a pretty good understanding of what God is; creator of the Universe and all that is in it, all good, all powerful, etc. I think your description of “God is God” is a very appropriate description because the term “God” has specific connotations attached to that title. And most people agree on those connotations.

This dismisses Crypto's point, which also agrees with G-d's first revealed name: I am that I am. Even if people did agree on the connotations, (which I dispute) and even if people were right, that wouldn't add up to "a pretty good understanding of what God is."

A great deal of Scripture is there mainly for the reason of stripping us from our false conceptions. This is a point Fire has brought out, and it's valid

(quote)That's a good starting point. Christianity refers to apophatic or negative theology. It is theology by negation. We do not say what God is, but rather what God is not. Because it is impossible to say what God is.[

I hear plenty of Christians describe what he is; all powerful, all knowing, creator of the Universe, The Alpha and Omega, I believe one bible verse even describes him as “love”

See what I mean, you're dismissing what he's saying? You might prefer a different term, that's ok. Muslims call Him by 99 Names, Jews can't pronounce His Name, this is a common theme that we need to respect our place relative to His.

Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟9,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read through all twenty-some pages but the last few seem to reflect that the original question is still within the realm of discussion. It's funny how many times that in threads this long, the subject of the OP is long lost by this time.

Anyway, in regards to an analogy for the Trinity, water seems as good as any. Plain H2O. It exists in three states...water, ice, and steam. Each state exhibits distinct and observable characteristics, and each serves different purposes in terms of how men relate to it, yet, in the end, and all together, it's the same stuff...H2O. Similarly, God has distinct characteristics which are ascribed to His three different existences/personages. God the Father is the author of creation, the supreme and sovereign authority to whom we all will ultimately answer to. God the Son is the personification of love, who assumed human form for the sole purpose of sacrificing His life for us so that we might have life; the example for us all. God the Holy Spirit is our Comforter, the still small voice that guides the consciences of those who love Him. Each personage acts differently in their relationship to men, but all act in concert to complete the harmony that is God, and to draw us into that harmony.

I know that's a rather simplistic comparison but I hope it shows how three can be one and one can be three.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This dismisses Crypto's point, which also agrees with G-d's first revealed name: I am that I am. Even if people did agree on the connotations, (which I dispute) and even if people were right, that wouldn't add up to "a pretty good understanding of what God is."

A great deal of Scripture is there mainly for the reason of stripping us from our false conceptions. This is a point Fire has brought out, and it's valid

See what I mean, you're dismissing what he's saying? You might prefer a different term, that's ok. Muslims call Him by 99 Names, Jews can't pronounce His Name, this is a common theme that we need to respect our place relative to His.
Okay I see what you are saying. I wasn't dismissing what he said, I just disagreed with what he said and I explained why; which is probably why I didn't respond to him initially (untill you asked me to) because I didn't think he answerd my question and what he said didn't make sense to me.

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read through all twenty-some pages but the last few seem to reflect that the original question is still within the realm of discussion. It's funny how many times that in threads this long, the subject of the OP is long lost by this time.

Anyway, in regards to an analogy for the Trinity, water seems as good as any. Plain H2O. It exists in three states...water, ice, and steam. Each state exhibits distinct and observable characteristics, and each serves different purposes in terms of how men relate to it, yet, in the end, and all together, it's the same stuff...H2O. Similarly, God has distinct characteristics which are ascribed to His three different existences/personages. God the Father is the author of creation, the supreme and sovereign authority to whom we all will ultimately answer to. God the Son is the personification of love, who assumed human form for the sole purpose of sacrificing His life for us so that we might have life; the example for us all. God the Holy Spirit is our Comforter, the still small voice that guides the consciences of those who love Him. Each personage acts differently in their relationship to men, but all act in concert to complete the harmony that is God, and to draw us into that harmony.

I know that's a rather simplistic comparison but I hope it shows how three can be one and one can be three.
If I’m not mistaken, I believe the “water analogy” was brought up before; along with the egg analogy, the 3 branches of the USA Government, and others. Water is not one; water consists of lots of drops, and even though each drop can change according to temperature, they can only be 1 at any given time, not 3 at the same time. Ice water, and steam do have the same ingredients, but that doesn’t make them the same; they are different just like me and my brother who are made up of the same ingredients are not the same.

Ken

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The egg analogy was addressed by the early Church and found lacking. they also commented on every illustration in nature they could conceive of, with the same conclusion. I don't remember if they also referred to water, but I suspect not, since they didn't have temperature control

Upvote 0

daviddub

Aug 8, 2009
✟15,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Time; like gallons, inches, or math does not have an actual existence; it is just a measuring system humans came up with to measure one moment to the next. God has an actual existence; right?

Ken

Uhhh...
Time and math are unlike gallons and inches. Time and math are both immaterial realities.

Time:
We came up with words to refer to time, and its increments (which increments may be arbitrary), but the distinction between past, present, and future is not man-made, rather man-acknowledged.

Math:
We also came up with words/symbols to refer to quantities and their various relationships; these symbols and words are human conventions indeed. However, the quantities to which they refer are neither man-made, nor can they be altered by men. For instance, you and I may use a different word or number to refer to the quantity of letters in my post. However, there is a particular quantity herein which is what it is, regardless of whether we use the number “4” or “364” to refer to it. So again, we may change the symbols by which we refer to quantities, but the quantities are what they are. They are hardly man-made.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize several people have asked for an explanation of the Trinity, but the answers given doesn’t quite make sense to me and because I can’t respond on those threads I have to start my own. So here is my questions:
*Is Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit the same God with 3 nicknames? if so how could one be the son and the other the father?
*Are they each a fraction of a God and only when together they are a complete God? (kinda like the "egg white, yolk, and shell" explanation I've heard before
*Or are they each 3 separate Gods? (Polytheism)
If something different please explain

Ken

The term Trinity is not the best one because it emphasizes the three persons but not the unity within the Trinity. The German word Dreieinigkeit (three – oneness) better expresses the concept. The Trinity is composed of three united Persons without separate existence so completely united as to form one God. The divine nature subsists in three distinctions-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Chafer, Systematic Theology).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Uhhh...
Time and math are unlike gallons and inches. Time and math are both immaterial realities.

Time:
We came up with words to refer to time, and its increments (which increments may be arbitrary), but the distinction between past, present, and future is not man-made, rather man-acknowledged.

Math:
We also came up with words/symbols to refer to quantities and their various relationships; these symbols and words are human conventions indeed. However, the quantities to which they refer are neither man-made, nor can they be altered by men. For instance, you and I may use a different word or number to refer to the quantity of letters in my post. However, there is a particular quantity herein which is what it is, regardless of whether we use the number “4” or “364” to refer to it. So again, we may change the symbols by which we refer to quantities, but the quantities are what they are. They are hardly man-made.
My point was; time does not physically exist; it does not occupy space, thus it does not occupy the same space that my body does.

Ken

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if God is not a part of the physical world, how can you say he is everywhere?

K

GOOD QUESTION! Perhaps we (Christians) need to re-think using that statement as an answer, or as a way of addressing anything. Claiming "He is everywhere" certainly lends itself towards thinking along pantheistic lines, which is clearly NOT the intent of Scripture.

You have engaged me more than enough to know I do NOT normally resort to "it's a mystery." This is the first time (that I can remember) where you will see me say I do not know. And I truly think we are up against the edge of what can be known. Which does not say there isn't a good way of going forward with your question here, but at the moment I don't have something I would consider good ...

There are mysteries that remain, and that (IMHO) is part of what makes life interesting. Calvinism seems to explain everything to our rational mind, but I find it filled with errors; likewise Islam. I try to avoid making things up, but if the Lord leads me onto something good I'll try to address this.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
GOOD QUESTION! Perhaps we (Christians) need to re-think using that statement as an answer, or as a way of addressing anything. Claiming "He is everywhere" certainly lends itself towards thinking along pantheistic lines, which is clearly NOT the intent of Scripture.

You have engaged me more than enough to know I do NOT normally resort to "it's a mystery." This is the first time (that I can remember) where you will see me say I do not know. And I truly think we are up against the edge of what can be known. Which does not say there isn't a good way of going forward with your question here, but at the moment I don't have something I would consider good ...

There are mysteries that remain, and that (IMHO) is part of what makes life interesting. Calvinism seems to explain everything to our rational mind, but I find it filled with errors; likewise Islam. I try to avoid making things up, but if the Lord leads me onto something good I'll try to address this.
Thank-you. I appreciate your candid response.

Ken

Upvote 0