Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is the basic beliefs of the Pilgrim Holiness denomination? I think they are very conservative but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm this? I looked for an official denomination site but can't find one. From what I understand, they shun most technology like cable television. Can anyone confirm this as well? I'm curious about them. Thanks!

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I can tell, the pilgrim holiness church merged with the Wesleyan Methodist Church and became together the Wesleyan church (1968). other than Holiness churches with the name "Pilgrim," I am unaware that any still exist as a denomination

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
herev said:
they may be around Holly, and I'm just not aware of it--but I have spent a lot of time researching those in the Wesleyan family--and I can't find any that still are around. If you find one, let me know--I'd be very interested
Oh ok. I am pretty sure we have a Pilgrim Holiness church in our town. Not sure if it's Pilgrim Holiness or not. And then there is an independent church which I believe closely relates itself with Pilgrim Holiness.

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey holly,

The Pilgrim Holiness church does still exist. Mostly they are found in the Southern states. In fact, there are quite a few here near my town as well. You might find one or two in the northern states, but it's probably rare. Their beliefs basically fall in line with that of most Holiness churches. They are ultra conservative. Most believe that women should not cut their hair, have to wear long dresses, no makeup, and watching tv is not acceptable. Their only source is basically studying the Bible. They do however allow their children to attend public schools.

They are somewhat related to the Wesleyan church with the same beliefs, but are much more conservative and extremely strict. They broke off in the 1900's because they felt that the true Wesleyan belief (like Methodist, etc.) were too liberal. Therefore they desired a more strict church and brached off on their own, but still kept the general Wesleyan doctrine.

Hope this helps you hon. God bless you! :hug:

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cool, thanks for sharing with all of us
VAGal said:
Hey holly,

The Pilgrim Holiness church does still exist. Mostly they are found in the Southern states. In fact, there are quite a few here near my town as well. You might find one or two in the northern states, but it's probably rare. Their beliefs basically fall in line with that of most Holiness churches. They are ultra conservative. Most believe that women should not cut their hair, have to wear long dresses, no makeup, and watching tv is not acceptable. Their only source is basically studying the Bible. They do however allow their children to attend public schools.

They are somewhat related to the Wesleyan church with the same beliefs, but are much more conservative and extremely strict. They broke off in the 1900's because they felt that the true Wesleyan belief (like Methodist, etc.) were too liberal. Therefore they desired a more strict church and brached off on their own, but still kept the general Wesleyan doctrine.

Hope this helps you hon. God bless you! :hug:

Upvote 0

Joshua Howard

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Happiness
Jan 13, 2004
Tacoma, WA
✟7,951.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have a very small one not far from here, up on Washington State (South of Seattle) where I live. It is a very small church, and my Mom used to be a part of it. While they are a holiness church, they are quite dead and legalistic -- My church has standards much like theirs (i.e., No TV, etc.), but we differ greatly in that for the most part me and my church body consider standards to be a compliment to the faith, whereas the Pilgrim Holiness church and others like it seem to think that standards and rules are the essence of Christianity. I do not know enough to judge the entire denomination or any group of churches, but that nevertheless is my experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maid Marie

Zechariah 4:6
Nov 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
✟19,068.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Going through old posts here....

The Pilgrim Holiness and the Wesleyan Methodists joined in 1968 to form The Wesleyan Church. But, some of the congregations in both groups didn't join in the merger. I believe it was because they viewed this new denomination as being too worldly. So you will find pockets of both groups floating around. The town in northern PA that I grew up in had a Wesleyan Methodist church in it. I visited it once - before I realized the difference between Wesleyan Methodist and The Wesleyan Church. Nothing personal....but it freaked me out...cuz while it had similar roots as my CotN, the external stuff was so different that I was like a fish out of water.

I know that in PA and Upstate NY one can find several churches of both groups.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
There wasn't a lot of good information about these guys on the net, here is what I managed to pull off of Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Pilgrim Holiness Church is a religious denomination associated with the holiness movement that split from the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1897. It was first organized in Cincinnati, Ohio with Martin Wells Knapp (a Methodist) and Seth C. Rees (a Quaker) as the founders and later became the Pilgrim Holiness Church that merged with the Wesleyan Methodists in 1968 to formulate the Wesleyan Church.
Today, a group of Pilgrim Holiness churches still exist from the secession of the merger in 1968. However, this group of people are not associated with the Wesleyan Church today but align themselves with the Conservative Holiness Movement.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.