Pierced Ears

karen_trustlord

May 7, 2004
✟1,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
August 24, 2005
Pierced Ears

Psalm 40:5-8 Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.
Then I said, "Here I am, I have come— it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."

Look at verse 6 - "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced ..." Some versions used pierced and some use opened. Either way, I didn't get the connection - what do offerings have to do with pierced ears?

Looking in the concordance:
Exodus 21:5-6 , the law controlling slaves when slavery was a fact among the Israelites. There was a time limit of six years. After that, the slave was to go free. Then comes verse five; "But if the slave declares, 'I love my master ... and do not want to go free', then his master must take him before the judges ... and pierce his ear ... then he will be his servant for life." The pierced ear became a symbol (sign) of permanent possession. After that there would never be any doubt as to whose he was and whom he served.

So it seems that the psalmist is saying in effect that the Lord does not desire our gifts and services. He desires us. He desires us to commit ourselves whole heartedly to Him because we love him and want to belong to Him.

He in turn would have us desire Him, not just His gifts or what He can do for us. Our gifts to Him, and His to us, follow love. For without love, all gifts are meaningless.

Here we are, Lord, help us each desire to do Your will; write your law within each heart. Help us each love You with our whole hearts.