St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A pharmacy owner and 2 pharmacists are suing Washington state over a regualtion requiring them to sell EC. The law has an opt out provision if a co-worker can fill the prescription during the same visit.

I guess their objection only applies to prescriptions written for minors, since Plan B is now OTC for adults.

But I believe the bulk of the data shows that EC blocks ovulation. AFAIK, there is no consistent evidence that it causes abortions. Are these pharmacists morally opposed to any kind of contraceptive that inhibits ovulation?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19998286/

SeraphymCrashing

Jun 21, 2007
✟16,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Frankly I don't think there should be a law requiring pharmacists to sell the pill, as long as the pharmacies are free to fire their workers for not doing their jobs (A pharmacy shouldn't be forced to carry a product they object to as well, but they should have to list the drugs they don't carry in plain obvious site).

There are also plenty of cases of pharmacists being opposed to birth control pills as well. Some people are just can't stand others acting in ways they find reprehensible, even if its a personal choice. Frankly I find such attitudes disgusting, but I don't know that we need a law to get around them.

I think a good solution would be to include 1 or 2 EC pills with regular birth control, since its OTC it wouldn't matter, and if virtually every women who was taking the pill had EC it would be much easier to find quickly.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Well if you're someone who believes "sperm" is a "life" that should be valued, then yes with that line of thinking, it's an abortion. Though. it can't be an abortion, because in order for it to be an abortion the woman has to be pregnant.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Frankly I don't think there should be a law requiring pharmacists to sell the pill, as long as the pharmacies are free to fire their workers for not doing their jobs (A pharmacy shouldn't be forced to carry a product they object to as well, but they should have to list the drugs they don't carry in plain obvious site).

There are also plenty of cases of pharmacists being opposed to birth control pills as well. Some people are just can't stand others acting in ways they find reprehensible, even if its a personal choice. Frankly I find such attitudes disgusting, but I don't know that we need a law to get around them.

I think a good solution would be to include 1 or 2 EC pills with regular birth control, since its OTC it wouldn't matter, and if virtually every women who was taking the pill had EC it would be much easier to find quickly.

You raised an interesting point, I've heard stories about young women being denied birth control because the pharmacist was not only morally opposed to it, but implied women who use birth control are "[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]." Something like this happened to a friend of mine. In this sense, it does come down to being about being against people's choices about their own sex lives. Yes, those attitudes are quite disgusting.

Upvote 0

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe in requiring pharmacies to carry certain types of drugs UNLESS it's the only one around (because then it becomes a matter of access to legal drugs). I'd rather that pharmacies be allowed to fire those that won't sell certain products in their stores. If a pharmacy has plan B, and they hire a guy who won't sell it, the pharmacy should be allowed to fire the guy. If a pharmacist wants to avoid the issue of selling questions they find morally questionable, they should be allowed to work at a store that does not carry it.

Pharmacists are hired to ensure that the drugs taken are safe for the patient and the prescription are given legally. If they have issues with the types of drugs they sell, they should be given the option of working for a drug store that does not carry such questionable drugs. I just think it's a slippery slope when pharmacists can make ethical decisions which they were not hired to make.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that when you choose to run a pharmacy that you have an obligation to serve that public service of filling prescriptions when given. I similarly feel that doctors are obligated to inform patients of all options even if he is personally opposed to some of those options.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Pharmacies are not obligated to stock or dispense any
medicine. As any other business, they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone they choose. They choose what medicines to stock, usually by cost effective reasons. (exp>stocking a $20 a pill medicine no one regularly buys is waste of money and space.)

A pharmacist is obligated to do what is best for their customers, including not filling a prescription that is wrong dose, or has side effects with other medicines.
And if the Pharmacists opinion is that the morning after pill is not in the best interest of the patient, he can't despense it.

I was not aware of the morning after pill being otc.
Of course, I am not looking for it.

Upvote 0

mayfly

Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They are free to find another career if they can't do their jobs.
The Weldon Amendment passed by a coalition of Republicans and Democrats in the Republican controlled-senate days and signed by the President mandates that healthcare employees be allowed to opt out of any medical activity that violates their consciences. There may also be a constitutional issue too.

The rub is whether this law applies to over the counter sales and to clerks in a drug store. If the court so holds, then the pharmacy clerks are protected as are the pharmacists, doctors, and nurses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A pharmacist is obligated to do what is best for their customers, including not filling a prescription that is wrong dose, or has side effects with other medicines.
And if the Pharmacists opinion is that the morning after pill is not in the best interest of the patient, he can't despense it.
The problem is that that decision is not being arrived at for reasons that involve the health and safety of the customer but rather the personal beliefs of the pharmacist.
If you cant handle being a pharmacist, choose another career.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The problem is that that decision is not being arrived at for reasons that involve the health and safety of the customer but rather the personal beliefs of the pharmacist.
If you cant handle being a pharmacist, choose another career.
In their opinion, they are.

I fully support, professionals be allowed to follow their beliefs.
I think being OTC will render this mute, except for the pharmacy owner, the person that orders the medicine.

I don't support the pharmacists that object to comon
birthcontrol. They entered the field knowing they would have to dispense these meds.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, sorry. If it is prescribed, a pharmacy should be required to fill it. A pharmacy should then be able to decide whether every employee is allowed to fill it, or if an employee may personally refuse to fill it so long as someone working there does fill it. Allowing them to pick and choose will set a dangerous precedent in health care. Also, even small delays hurts the effectiveness of the morning after pill. And in many rural areas there may only be one pharmacy nearby, putting everyone there at the mercy of that single pharmacy.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
No, sorry. If it is prescribed, a pharmacy should be required to fill it. A pharmacy should then be able to decide whether every employee is allowed to fill it, or if an employee may personally refuse to fill it so long as someone working there does fill it. Allowing them to pick and choose will set a dangerous precedent in health care. Also, even small delays hurts the effectiveness of the morning after pill. And in many rural areas there may only be one pharmacy nearby, putting everyone there at the mercy of that single pharmacy.

This argument is the correct one to focus on. If a person lives in a city and runs into a bizarroland Walgreens that wont stock EC, they can walk a few blocks to a CVS or RiteAid or SavOn or whatever. If you live in a really small town or even *gasp* on a farm, your options are not nearly so extensive. Should a person be expected to travel a long distance from their home in order to follow their doctor's orders? No, a person should be able to easily follow doctor's orders.

Think about that, your prescription is an essential part of your doctor's orders. For a pharmacist to put themselves between a patient and their doctor's care is unconscionable. How would you feel if someone stood in your way for medicine your doctor ordered you to take? Perhaps the patient is being prescribed EC due to cancer treatments that would make pregnancy dangerous and cruel to any possible offspring. Thalidomide, for instance, is a cancer treatment that results in terrible birth defects and a LOT of miscarriages. A doctor might, for instance, insist that a young cancer patient take birth control pills and keep a store of EC, just in case, to prevent any chance of pregnancy.

Should a morally domineering pharmacist place themselves before the doctor and paternalistically deny a patient care that a doctor has ordered? No. A doctor knows better than a pharmacist and should be deferred to. For instance: an oncologist decides that a patient's advanced cancer requires experimental treatment and comes up with a perhaps life saving combination of cancer drugs. A pharmacist, checking their database, sees that those drugs can have dangerous, unpredictable side-effects. Once the pharmacist checks with the doctor to make sure there was not a simple typo that accounts for the oddity, the phamacist should defer to the doctor's assesment of potential risks and benefits. Why? Because the doctor is a doctor of medicine and the pharmacist is not. It is that simple.

The medical system is built on one fundamental unit: the doctor. Everything else, hospitals, nurses, insurance companies, drug manufacturers, pharmacies, all of them exist to allow a doctor's knowledge and expertise to be put to optimal use to save people's lives. The second we forget that is the second that people who DO NOT KNOW what they are doing take charge over life and death decisions. In short, pharmacists must get out of their profession if they are unwilling to do their job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What does this have to do with abortion?
The morning after pill is reffered to as the abortion pill.
It prevents the implanting of a fertilized egg, but no one knows if there ever was one to start with.

If the embryo never implants, the fetus was not viable.
So nothing was killed. So it really isn't an abortion.

Phamacists should never fill prescriptions without question. And if a Pharmacist can't decide morally for themselves, then you are silencing one part of the safety of patience.

This isn't a big problem. Most people live near more then one pharmacy. The few pharmacists that won't dispence the pill are a small minority. So 2 in a small town would be extreme odds.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
doctors dont have to kill babies either. I hope the pharmacists win. abortion should be against the law.

Puh-lease, don't be ridiculous, the "morning after pill" is not an abortion pill. Because sperms aren't babies! In order for it to be an abortion, the woman has to be pregnant.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
People often confuse "the morning after" pill with RU-486, which actually IS an abortion pill. Anything taken the day of or "the morning after" is simply run of the mill BC that works first to prevent ovulation, second to prevent fertilization, and third to prevent implantation. There never is or will be a pregnancy.

Upvote 0