On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thought folks might be interested to know that Peter, amongst other apostles, was married.

NPNF2-01. Eusebius Pamphilius: Church History, Life of Constantine, Oration in Praise of Constantine | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Chapter XXX.—The Apostles that were Married.
1. Clement, indeed, whose words we have just quoted, after the above-mentioned facts gives a statement, on account of those who rejected marriage, of the apostles that had wives.847847 A chapter intervenes between the quotation given by Eusebius just above and the one which follows. In it Clement had referred to two classes of heretics,—without giving their names,—one of which encouraged all sorts of license, while the other taught celibacy. Having in that place refuted the former class, he devotes the chapter from which the following quotation is taken to a refutation of the latter, deducing against them the fact that some of the apostles were married. Clement here, as in his Quis dives salvetur (quoted in chap. 23), shows his good common sense which led him to avoid the extreme of asceticism as well as that of license. He was in this an exception to most of the Fathers of his own and subsequent ages, who in their reaction from the licentiousness of the times advised and often encouraged by their own example the most rigid asceticism, and thus laid the foundation for monasticism. 162“Or will they,” says he,848848 Strom.III. 6. “reject even the apostles? For Peter849849 Peter was married, as we know from Matt. viii. 14 (cf. 1 Cor. ix. 5). Tradition also tells us of a daughter, St. Petronilla. She is first called St. Peter’s daughter in the Apocryphal Acts of SS. Nereus and Achilles, which give a legendary account of her life and death. In the Christian cemetery of Flavia Domitilla was buried an Aurelia Petronilla filia dulcissima, and Petronilla being taken as a diminutive of Petrus, she was assumed to have been a daughter of Peter. It is probable that this was the origin of the popular tradition. Petronilla is not, however, a diminutive of Petrus, and it is probable that this woman was one of the Aurelian gens and a relative of Flavia Domitilla. Compare the article Petronilla in the Dict. of Christ. Biog. Petronilla has played a prominent rôle in art. The immense painting by Guercino in the Palace of the Conservators in Rome attracts the attention of all visitors. and Philip850850 It is probable that Clement here confounds Philip the evangelist with Philip the apostle. See the next chapter, note 6.
Philip the evangelist, according to Acts xxi. 9, had four daughters who were virgins. Clement (assuming that he is speaking of the same Philip) is the only one to tell us that they afterward married, and he tells us nothing about their husbands. Polycrates in the next chapter states that two of them at least remained virgins. If so, Clement’s statement can apply at most only to the other two. Whether his report is correct as respects them we cannot tell. begat children; and Philip also gave his daughters in marriage. And Paul does not hesitate, in one of his epistles, to greet his wife,851851 The passage to which Clement here refers and which he quotes in this connection is 1 Cor. ix. 5; but this by no means proves that Paul was married, and 1 Cor. vii. 8 seems to imply the opposite, though the words might be used if he were a widower. The words of Philip. iv. 3 are often quoted as addressed to his wife, but there is no authority for such a reference. Clement is the only Father who reports that Paul was married; many of them expressly deny it; e.g. Tertullian, Hilary, Epiphanius, Jerome, &c. The authority of these later Fathers is of course of little account. But Clement’s conclusion is based solely upon exegetical grounds, and therefore is no argument for the truth of the report. whom he did not take about with him, that he might not be inconvenienced in his ministry.”
2. And since we have mentioned this subject it is not improper to subjoin another account which is given by the same author and which is worth reading. In the seventh book of his Stromata he writes as follows:852852 Strom.VII. 11. Clement, so far as we know, is the only one to relate this story, but he bases it upon tradition, and although its truth cannot be proved, there is nothing intrinsically improbable in it. “They say, accordingly, that when the blessed Peter saw his own wife led out to die, he rejoiced because of her summons and her return home, and called to her very encouragingly and comfortingly, addressing her by name, and saying, ‘Oh thou, remember the Lord.’ Such was the marriage of the blessed, and their perfect disposition toward those dearest to them.” This account being in keeping with the subject in hand, I have related here in its proper place.

Thoughts? Comments?

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts? Comments?
progress.gif
http://www.christianforums.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=51902769

Is there a point to this? Was there a dispute about it? I have always assumed by the fact that since Jesus healed his mother-in-law, that it was pretty obvious that Peter had a wife. Unless there is some other way to get a mother-in-law.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Peter was married.

So were bishops and presbyters in the early church - note I Tim and Titus.

There's nothing wrong with marriage - neither is there anything wrong with celibacy (note St. Paul). It depends on what one is called to.

The broad practice of episcopal celibacy began once bishops had broad control of important resources (to build churches, do charitable works, etc) because the empire didn't want bishops passing that wealth on to children. Succession crises within the church seemed... ill advised... and celibacy worked as a solution.

In the West (not as often in the East), celibacy for priests was recommended on more cultic reasons - the idea that celibacy made the eucharist more pure... thankfully, the modern RCC has abandoned that reasoning in favor of the more reasonible (imho) idea of a celibate being able to dedicate more time to a parish; having a clarity of focus and vocation.

Anywho, my two cents.

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How can one dedicate any more time without a wife that with a wife?

I'm all for married priests. My priest is married. It's just common sense though that a celibate monk is going to have more time to focus on things than a guy with a wife and 5 or 6 small children. That doesn't mean that it is better.... just that he will have more time.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How can one dedicate any more time without a wife that with a wife?
if you have a wife and kids, they are your first concern,
1st Corinthians 7:32-33
I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord. But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

I'm all for married priests. My priest is married. It's just common sense though that a celibate monk is going to have more time to focus on things than a guy with a wife and 5 or 6 small children. That doesn't mean that it is better.... just that he will have more time.
One has to have the gift of singleness as Paul had in order to stay that way.. It should not be forced upon any man who wants to be a Pastor.. If they do not have this gift we have seen what has happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One has to have the gift of singleness as Paul had in order to stay that way.. It should not be forced upon any man who wants to be a Pastor.. If they do not have this gift we have seen what has happened.

I agree. Our priest can be married. But to be honest, I don't think anyone is forcing people to become Catholic priests either.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
what happens?
celibacy is the normal discipline of the latin rite of the Catholic Church, I think it is a helpful thing, no one is forced to be a priest, so it is not like the Church is forcing people to be single, there are many many many important roles for the laity

Upvote 0

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri, the show me state!
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1st Corinthians 7:32-33
I should like you to be free of anxieties. An unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord. But a married man is anxious about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,

Maybe reading up the passage some will help.

1Co 7:25 Now concerning the betrothed, I have no command from the Lord, but I give my judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy.
1Co 7:26 I think that in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is.
1Co 7:27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
1Co 7:28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.
1Co 7:29 This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none,
1Co 7:30 and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods,
1Co 7:31 and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.
1Co 7:32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord.
1Co 7:33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife,
1Co 7:34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband.

This is a classic example of Paul giving opinion and stating that is his opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thought folks might be interested to know that Peter, amongst other apostles, was married.

Thoughts? Comments?
Is this supposed to be a new revelation? Most people know this already. Most of the Apostles were married.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand the point that you are trying to make but I am married with a child but they are not my first concern. God is always first.

There was a time when I didn't do that but when God taught me the nature of faith and I put all things below him, he then made these things more important, to me, than they were before. Its funny how things work when you follow God's plan.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No they probably are not forcing them to become priests but if one feels they are called to be a Pastor then these man made rules bring a strong hold to this man.:) Which we have seen because of passions that cannot be controlled has lead to much pain to those whom they are to be a example to.
These passions are not confined to celibate priests. Though problems occurring in other faiths are not as publicized as much as in the Catholic Church, they have occurred in every major Christian Church.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
May as well make my first post back a pre-emptive one, before the inevitable "forced celibacy is wrong wrong wrong" kind of post that will be put out there.

1) falsehood: Catholics (or anyone else who practice priestly celibacy) never claimed that Peter, or the other Apostles were celibate. Where it states that they were married, that would be stupid. Where it's silent, that would be presumptuous. Latin rite celibacy is not based on some supposed notion that "what's good for Peter is good for us."

2) falsehood: doing away with a celibate priesthood would not lower cases of sexual abuses/misdemeanours. Clergy in non-celibate rites have commited the same crimes. If Marriage were a cure all for sexual misconduct, it would be readily shown with evidence, but it is not. More than half of married men are adulterers. Marriage quite obviously does not cure sexual sin.

3)nobody forces someone to be celibate. They place the requirement to be a latin rite priest pretty clearly, it's not like you don't have a choice. want to be an LR priests? ok, they pratice celibacy. don't want to wear uniforms? ok, don't join the army. don't want to sell cookies? ok, don't join the girl guides. see the pattern?

4) sex, in and of itself, is not the most important thing in the world. (gasp! I can't believe he said that!) Celibacy is not a curse, it is not an impossible hardship, it is a discipline. We should admire those who chose to live by their chosen diciplines, so few of us do. (if you don't believe me, try and stay on your diet... or NOT have that cigarette.... or spend one day not saying or thinking something ill of another person, etcetera etcetera.)

all that being said, I think the Catholic Church would see an increase in priests if Latin Rite did not have celibacy as a discipline. I would say that I "disagree" with the practice, in that I think it is self limiting to a degree. That does not mean that I think ill of it whatsoever.

at least, not anymore.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe reading up the passage some will help.

1Co 7:25 Now concerning the betrothed, I have no command from the Lord, but I give my judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy.
1Co 7:26 I think that in view of the present distress it is good for a person to remain as he is.
1Co 7:27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
1Co 7:28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.
1Co 7:29 This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none,
1Co 7:30 and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods,
1Co 7:31 and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.
1Co 7:32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord.
1Co 7:33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife,
1Co 7:34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband.

This is a classic example of Paul giving opinion and stating that is his opinion.

it is the opinion of St.Paul, and we are respecting his opinion, it is not set in stone that no priest can be married, it is just a tradition of the West, one that we, and St.Paul, seem to like

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1) falsehood: Catholics (or anyone else who practice priestly celibacy) never claimed that Peter, or the other Apostles were celibate.

A good post but as to the above, the Apostle Paul states he was celibate and John is traditionally believed to have been as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.