Person Reared Protestant Approaching Death

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay, an older female friend has cancer and is approaching death. Stage 4 cancer her relatives told me. I'm not sure what type of cancer it is.

She has a good "heart," and in that terms she is a good person. But she has had her struggles and obstacles in life, and due to her addictions she has lived a life of sin.

What is the best way, in the advice of people of The Ancient Way, in helping her eternal soul transition to the next world, that God may be merciful and grant her eternal salvation? She can't confess her sins to an Orthodox or Catholic Priest, no? What if she does the regular Protestant confessing on her own to God?

I would be happy if she achieves the eternal bliss of heaven. And maybe when she is there she can make appeals to God on my behalf.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I were in her position, and since you are asking for an Orthodox point of view, I would ask for an Orthodox priest to visit. And plan to spend some time.

I am pretty sure that there is a possibility that a priest could talk to her, and if she wishes, might possibly be willing to baptize and chrismate her, let her receive the Eucharist, and allow her the sacrament of confession/absolution.

It's not really a belief in a "Last Rites - get this done" kind of process. It may very well be that instead the priest would find it best to just talk to her and offer her counsel. I'm not sure what he would do. But if I were in her shoes, I would seek to talk to one and ask for his help.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
well yah, since she's not Orthodox or Catholic she can't confess and receive absolution, but if she was willing I'm sure she could still talk to a priest and find some advice and consolation. And certainly it would be a good thing for her to confess her sins before God in humility. May God have mercy upon her!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the only thing I can add is to remember, and to remind her that she is going into the hands of the God who loves her so much He did not spare His Son. in that, I would take comfort. I think something to keep in mind is that God will be merciful to her, we must pray that she accepts the mercy He offers.

Lord have mercy on her!

Upvote 0