slp40

Mar 4, 2014
✟8,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello

I'm 43 and it's been seven months since my last cycle. I've gone through the hot flashes, fatigue, etc.

I have also gained almost twenty pounds. I exercise 4-5 days a week.

My metabolism has really slowed down and I feel like when I try to lose weight the scale barely moves.

If I cheat, even a little, my stomach bloats up.

Any tips or safe natural supplements to try. Traditional methods, probiotics, enzymes, etc, don't seem as effective as they used to.

faith33

Aug 4, 2016
canada
✟15,213.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you can I would suggest going to a GYN. They can apparently do a blood test to see if you are normal, pre-menopausal, or have entered menopause. Also they can check your thyroid function. From there they might suggest or at least you can research more specifically what it is that could help.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2016
Northern Idaho
✟6,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Menopause, why, Lord? It ain't fair, is it.
I'm 45 and had enough of the hot flashes and irritability, insomnia, etc., so I went to my local holistic drug store/food store. You know the ones. Everything is organic and it smells weird. Anyway, I told the holistic nurse what my symptoms were and she started me on something called DIM-plus, made by Nature's Way. It's not like that ESTROVEN stuff...that didn't do anything for me. With the DIM, I have no more hot flashes, mood swings or bloating at least. I also take a good probiotic...one that costs a lot, but it's worth it. On top of that get something called Cortisol Support made by "Now". I suffer from adrenal fatigue...probably from being pre-menopausal, or who knows what. It gives me a lot of energy and when I forget to take it I can tell.

Lastly, if you're not sleeping, or have anxiety...because being pre-menopausal can do that....research something called Stress Relax, Pharma-GABA. Again...when I don't take this stuff, I do not sleep and I feel like garbage all the next day.
BUT! Research all of these things thoroughly before you try them. As with all meds and supplements, it might not be for you. If you have one of those holistic stores nearby, go check it out. Make sure it's a mom n pop one with someone who knows the products. We have a Natures Way organic food and supplement store here and they don't know squat about their products. If they can't help you with the products, find another one.

I hope you find some relief! This time of our lives is...ugh! Just...ugh!

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've been in perimenopause for about a year. Quite frankly I will be glad when this is over.

I have not gained weight overall as far as fat, but I have not been able to loose either. I do have a lot of fluctuations in weight due to water gain and loss. But it never goes beyond 10 pound range. I can tell it is water because I can gain or loose about 5 pounds in a day or two. When it is that much, it is not fat. It's just excess water.

Bloating is caused by water retention or gas. You can adjust your diet or you can take medications to stop/prevent it. I wouldn't stress over bloating because it is temporary and easily fixed. What concerns me is excess body fat, which is a never ending battle.

Upvote 0

Ladyghosthunter

Sep 26, 2016
Nebraska
✟15,343.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
About 3 months ago I had my gall bladder taken out and I've had nothing but diarreha every single day. Worse yet, i'm in perimenopause and feel like I'm in a fog. I don't know what to do with my weight issues as I'm already large. Help?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The AVERAGE age for menopause in the US is 52. If you are having symptoms that make you believe you are perimenopausal and are in your early to mid 40s, please go to your gynecologist to make sure that you are not having other health issues that need to be addressed because you are really not at the "normal" age yet.

As for the gall bladder issue, the gall bladder's function is to provide enzymes that break down fats. Without bile, the increased amount of undigested fat in your bowel will cause your stool to be loose.

Cholecystectomy diet. http://www.livestrong.com/article/162697-diet-after-a-cholecystectomy/

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The AVERAGE age for menopause in the US is 52.

That might be average for menopause, but perimenopause can begin years earlier. I've heard there is not an average age, but an average age range, something like 45-55. Even menopause can occur during the 30's, even though it is not as common. And average means that there are people who will go through it earlier or later, not that it can't happen except at the average age. I don't think people need to freak out and be told they have to see a doctor for natural phases if they are not having severe symptoms or symptoms that are not in line with what perimenopause/menopause looks like. Anyone who sees their doctor regularly for checkups, has discussions with them about what is going on, and is not experiencing symptoms that don't naturally occur, should not be living in fear that something is wrong just because it isn't at an expected age.

My perimenopause began at the age of 38/39. Now, I did go to the doctor eventually, but that was because my perspiration increased a great deal and it was causing skin irritation. A quick discussion with her about my other symptoms confirmed what I believed, it was perimenopause, and prescriptions for my skin condition were given. It's not a big deal. It's just uncomfortable at times. It's frustrating and sometimes discouraging to deal with. However, it's nothing to freak out over. It doesn't mean that something weird or unhealthy is happening just because someone is not at the normal age.

It's like getting your first period or breast development. We all did it at different ages. It all comes to an end at different ages, too. Our bodies are not computer programed to run functions on a certain time schedule. There are variations. Lets not panic over differences in ages or lengths of time.

• Agree
Reactions: hopesprings
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If you are in the age range where perimenopause can begin, you should be seeing your doctor on at least an annual basis a female checkup. This is when you would address this. I didn't say 'freak out' but our society is not well educated on perimenopause...and most believe it starts years before what is normal. If it is your normal time, then fine. My concern is that people may be having symptom of other gynecological problems and be ignoring them because they think that it is normal perimenopause. Perimenopause in the 30's is not considered "normal" even though it is not harmful but it might mean you need to address other issues. (Precocious puberty isn't normal either...nor dangerous but it does mean the person needs to be watched for other issues.) I am nurse on a gynecological floor and waiting too long to be checked out can make a difference if there is a female cancer...or sometimes a person suffers for years when there actually is a relatively simple "fix" for the issue they are having because it isn't "just perimenopause" after all.

Upvote 0