Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
as for sinning with the tongue James urges people to not be doubleminded. You can ask God for wisdom and a bridle on your tongue, well, look what happened to Zacharias he spoke foolishly questioning and doubting the angel then his mouth was stopped for a few months.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
as for sinning with the tongue James urges people to not be doubleminded. You can ask for wisdom and a bridle on your tongue, well, look what happened to Zacharias he spoke foolishly questioning and doubting the angel then his mouth was stopped for a few months.

But didn't that happen before Christ was born?

And didn't James write that years after the crucifixion?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
yes, but God can still do those things. I've known many christians testify they stopped swearing/cursing after they became christian, and not by their own effort, God did a work in them.

Never said they couldn't stop at least for a while.

Either people can bridle their tongues, or the scriptures are wrong, in error.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
James was saying nobody can tame it without the help of God. Gods grace enables us to lead godly lives. see James 4:6

That's the gist of it. If we humble ourselves, we can receive his grace.
also James was using a quite literal thing of a bridle and look also back in chapter 3 verse 2. Can we bridle the whole body?? Well no, but God can.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
James was saying nobody can tame it without the help of God.

I don't see that said in the scripture.

That's the gist of it. If we humble ourselves, we can receive his grace.

Never argued against that.

also James was using a quite literal thing of a bridle and look also back in chapter 3 verse 2. Can we bridle the whole body?? Well no, but God can.

Well, God didn't do a very good job with Peter and Paul.

Neither one could bridle, tame their tongue, even with God's help.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All I can tell you is that James said no one can tame the tongue. Peter and Paul couldn't do it.

Peter, with his tongue, was teaching hypocrisy. (Gal. 2:14)

Paul was guilty of reviling a high priest. (Acts 23:4)

B.B. Warfield wrote on this several times (and I even provided a link) and he even quotes from Paul in 1 Thess. 5, that it isn't possible.

But since you think I'm wrong. so be it.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

NewCreation17

Jan 27, 2015
✟11,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 19:26
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Even in our conversations on this site, let us esteem others better than ourselves, and love one another and seek for peace. Love is more important than who knows the most scripture :)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone, has anyone heard of this gospel? From my understanding it's the teaching that true Christians are free from the power of all sin and that there are no Christians that sin every day. Is anyone familiar with this and are there any baptist who practice this gospel?

Doubtful,

Brandon Smith has written an article of exposition and critique of John Wesley's teaching on Christian perfectionism, that may be helpful for us to understand Wesley's doctrine: John Wesley’s Christian Perfection: Myths, Realities, and Critique (Patheos, March 2 2015).

Oz

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, has anyone heard of this gospel? From my understanding it's the teaching that true Christians are free from the power of all sin and that there are no Christians that sin every day. Is anyone familiar with this and are there any baptist who practice this gospel?
This is a "Holiness" doctrine, but does not correspond to Scripture or reality.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 5:23 KJB).

1. This is a benediction.
2. It indicates that the desire of Paul and God is that the Thessalonian Christians be wholly sanctified, and by extension applies to all Christians.
3. The prayer of Paul is that our whole spirits, souls, and bodies be preserved blameless until the coming of Christ for His saints.

To be blameless is not equivalent to absolute perfection. Absolute perfection will come about, but only when Christ comes for His saints (1 John 3:1-3). In the meantime we are to strive to be pure.

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0