Mar 26, 2016
KY
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
Now I have a question I just recently got saved although I've been raised in a semi Christian family. (Parents where never really involved much with church or anything) So now I'm married and have kids and while I know I'm saved I have a question about people. I'm not very talkative even on a good day to people and not the best at conversation unless I really know the person. Honestly I know it says to love your neighbor as yourself. But when it comes to people I usually either hang with people I know or hang by myself. And I know Christians are usually supposed to glorify God by talking about him with people but that just is not me.

Question: Is this ok in gods eyes. I'm not that great of a speaker even in small conversation unless of course I know who you are. I'm more solitary when it comes to my personality

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord gives us basic faith principles to live by His commands to love God and neighbor. He wants us to be charitable and pray to the Father for our daily needs & for those of our neighbor (see Matthew 6:1-14). He does call us to pray for evangelization (Matthew 9:36-38). St. Paul also reiterates basic commands in Romans 13:8-10.

This is the foundation of salvation by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-10). The Lord has given us what could be an enjoyable way of life to grow in grace by but the frequent evils of this world will test our souls. We must persevere as the Lord says in John 16:33.

I think these are the things most of us need to live in faith by with the understanding that we are all in a sense evangelists but the extra calling (I believe) is something only an individual can realize if it is from God or not.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,
Now I have a question I just recently got saved although I've been raised in a semi Christian family. (Parents where never really involved much with church or anything) So now I'm married and have kids and while I know I'm saved I have a question about people. I'm not very talkative even on a good day to people and not the best at conversation unless I really know the person. Honestly I know it says to love your neighbor as yourself. But when it comes to people I usually either hang with people I know or hang by myself. And I know Christians are usually supposed to glorify God by talking about him with people but that just is not me.

Question: Is this ok in gods eyes. I'm not that great of a speaker even in small conversation unless of course I know who you are. I'm more solitary when it comes to my personality

There is a view in some Christian circles that each and every one of us is supposed to be out on a street corner waving a Bible around arguing people into "getting saved". That isn't, however, the normative view of most Christians and churches. Evangelism is important of course, but evangelism is about announcing the good news, sharing it. For most of us sharing our faith is about living out our vocations in life--as friends, as fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, as doctors, receptionists, ditch diggers, whatever our vocation in life happens to be. If we are asked about our faith, we can share it with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15). Our job isn't to bring people into the Church, that's God's job, our job is to be faithful to Christ, hearing His word, trusting His word, and living out our faith in the world as God's people in whatever place of life we find ourselves.

In fact I think we do good to acknowledge that some people shouldn't be out there preaching, someone who is really new to the faith or who simply isn't equipped to preach probably shouldn't. That doesn't mean, if you're new to the faith, you can't share what you believe with those who ask, but it does mean that you shouldn't feel obligated to be out preaching because that isn't what you are called to do.

The Apostles we read about in Scripture were called to be out there, preaching, that was part of their calling as Apostles. The word "apostle" comes from a Greek word meaning "sent out", so being sent out into the world to preach, establish churches in different cities, etc was part of their distinctive calling. And certainly others have done similar things throughout history, for example St. Patrick is remembered by the honorary title of "Apostle to the Irish" even though he wasn't an Apostle proper, but because of his work reaching out to the pagan Irish he is so remembered.

It's about understanding that in the Church there are many different kinds of callings and works to be done, and we read in 1 Corinthians 12 (among other places) that there are a diversity of gifts given to the Church. Some are pastors, but not everyone is a pastor. Some are evangelists, but not everyone is an evangelist. Some are teachers, but not everyone is a teacher. Some are called to preach, but not all are called to preach. Etc. And if we are not pastors, teachers, evangelists, etc that doesn't mean we don't have a role within the Church's work. What about the little old lady who volunteers to help clean up the bathrooms on the weekends so they are clean come Sunday morning? God knows her and her works, and her work in the Body of Christ is no less than what the pastor who preaches on Sunday morning does, or what the missionary in Africa working to feed and clothe the hungry and naked does. We are all together in the fellowship of the Body of Christ, knit together in the Holy Spirit, under the love of God the Father.

Right now, continue to learn. Continue to grow. Hear the word, trust in Christ, seek to love your neighbor as your are able. When you stumble in your sins, repent, trusting in the forgiveness that is yours in Christ by the grace of God.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Mediaeval
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The relationship one has with the Lord Jesus Christ is everything in faith. Trust Him as your Savior and lord of your life, and stay in communion with Him all through the day and you will do well. If you read your Bible daily and seek always to honor God in all things God will be pleased. In addition, if you desire to witness for the Lord, help others, walk in a Godly way you will be blessed. God says: "...them that honor Me, I will honor" ---referring to one who is a real believer. I suggest that one who wants to know what God intends for His saints and His testimony in the world, should visit the sound site at www.biblecounsel.net and study the ways of God. Look up always!

Upvote 0

Michaelwotbingham

Mar 26, 2016
KY
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. It's really helpful. I do have thoughts of me out there preaching or teaching the word every now and then. Thinking how cool that would be to be on the frontlines lol. Then I come back to down to earth and realize that I'm not knowledgeable enough or a very good speaker and I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. If I'm completely honest with you guys I would say I'm nervous about speaking to others.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. It's really helpful. I do have thoughts of me out there preaching or teaching the word every now and then. Thinking how cool that would be to be on the frontlines lol. Then I come back to down to earth and realize that I'm not knowledgeable enough or a very good speaker and I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. If I'm completely honest with you guys I would say I'm nervous about speaking to others.

This is an excellent question and one you should ask:

1. God is not trying to get something from you (He can take care of Himself), but God is trying to give you unbelievable wonderful gifts.

2. You are not being “told” to do stuff, but are given tons of stuff you can do and are told what pleases God, but remember what pleases God is helping you to grow in Love.

3. Do not feel like you need to sell all you have and head to the mission field right now, but do take what Love you do have and start small, like just out of you Love wash the dishes, turn the TV off and take the kids to the park (meet other dads) there are tons of good stuff you can do and allow the Holy Spirit to be involved with you in doing.

4. There are lots of people right in your community that would really feel the message of Christ is good news and need it. There are also lots of people that do not care about Christ (at least at this point in their life), so ask the Spirit to lead you to those that want to hear “Good News”.
Jesus said this to the 12, but it can apply to all of us:

Matt 10: 16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

This has happened to me and others I have known.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Pray for God to open doors so you can talk to others about him if this is his will. But I'm in about the same boat as you; I'm not a great conversationalist and I have a slight speech impediment. So I pray frequently for him to open doors for me in this way, but so far I really haven't talked to many people about God and definitely don't share with others the good news, hardly ever. I feel guilty about it, and confess my sins every morning to God about thinking about things of the world more than him. However, maybe you can start in small ways talking about him, like mentioning how you were thankful to God for something good that happened in your life (I've done that a few times before).

Reactions: chapmic
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Michael, you can share your testimony in online Christian forums such as this one. There are several of them. I participate 5 of them myself. I am like you are, I am the quite type, but since I have started sharing my testimony online I have found a new boldness that enables me to do so in person more than before.

John

Reactions: chapmic
Upvote 0