Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, we have this couple we know. Probably one of the worst couples around, IMHO, insofar as whether or not they belong together. The guy is a bit off his rocker, being one of those 9/11-truther, conspiracy theorist, bitcoin "so the gubbamint doesn't track me" adopter types. The girl is kind of flighty. In a sense they're both well intentioned - but together they're like oil and water.

They don't get along - and they've flirted with the idea of divorce a number of times during the 5-6 years we've known them. He's insulting toward her, calls her names, etc. She instigates. The dynamic is just off - and if they were just dating - it would have been high time to break it off quite some time ago.

So apparently she decides a few months ago that she's an alcoholic and gets into AA (my wife and I are both not really drinkers - and even from that standpoint her pronouncement that she's an alcoholic took us by surprise - as we've hung out with them a lot of times and have never seen any problematic behavior). I guess as she was sobering up - a lot of her issues with her husband must have come out at the meetings...and she started up what I guess could be called the "13th step". She started seeing some dude at the meetings.

She makes the announcement that she's wanting a divorce, and that she's found someone new.

The guy - clearly and understandably upset by all of this - starts taking his grievances to social media/facebook. He's out there posting all of their dirty laundry - finding out every bit of information he can about this other dude - posting his phone number/etc up hoping his friends will harass him. He's finding every article available that talks about what a sham AA is and posting those...and it's been going on for weeks now.

So, she's seeing this dude while still living in their house, while he's making a social media spectacle of the whole thing. Finally - last week - she tells him she's moving out.

...and decides she's going to have new dude help her move all of her stuff out.

Well, you can imagine how well that went...lol Went over like a wet fart. Police reports were filed...busted lips were had...etc etc.

So - after the whole fiasco of moving out - and all of the dirty laundry being aired on social media about infidelity, etc... What do I see this morning? A post made by him of him and the kids hanging out with some new chick this past weekend.

People are drama.

Reactions: GQ Chris

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be a conspiracy nut. BUt after hearing others talk about it all the time. How everything was a conspiracy. Like driving down the road and that train passing by probably had hidden stuff inside from the gov. Or how that guy standing on the corner all the time is part of the FBI. Or how using a cell phone once puts you on a gov list where they will put you in prison once the NWO takes over....etc.... after hearing that for so long I realized how nutty everyone sounded and stayed away from that stuff.

Am I saying all conspiracies are fake? No. I'm guessing maybe 1% of them are real. WHich isn't alot. Problem is because there are so many fake ones, you likely can never tell which one is real now. And really I don't care if the NWO is real or 9/11 was an inside job. Life goes on. It doesn't affect me. Also I think conspiracies are a tool the devil uses to get people are from God. If you think about it, how many conspiracy people seem less focused on God? Most of them. Prepping their shelters, stocking up on guns, posting about conspiracies all day. It makes you so far from God that you don't even realize its become your idol in life.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟112,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think everyone has a little bit of a "conspiracy nut" aspect to them - at least if you define that as simply having the belief that you're not exactly fully informed on stuff by the government. Like most people - I have a few doubts about the Warren Commission and it's account of how Kennedy was killed. I also find a lot of the things about the 9/11 story kinda problematic.

But...where the conspiracy people jump the shark for me is that they start acting like they think that the government (or NWO or whomever it may be) has some interest in them personally. There are 318 million-ish people running around the United States. Even if there is some nefarious "they" who in the most wild case wanted to actually tap your phone - you are one of 318ish million. I don't care how powerful you think *they* are... the logistics of getting an intimate firsthand knowledge of everyone's boring lives is frankly insurmountable. Sure - they probably have data on you - and they probably have decent algorithms that could take that data and build a halfway accurate profile based upon their recorded behaviors. But once again - 318ish million people.

I work with data for a living...and you know what I do with data that seems common? I ignore it. Most of y'all are common. I am common. That's why I don't sit here losing sleep over "Big Brother".

That belief that Government has vested time and energy in *you* and that *you* ought take steps to try and stay out of their gaze - seems wonky to me. You are average data, and average data (while collected) is ignored in favor of something interesting.

...and you're probably not interesting. lol

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm. That makes sense. I come from a community/culture where "government" is viewed skeptically, not because we perceive them as hunting for any specific individuals, but rather because we don't trust government to represent our interests. And that is based more on real logistics and economics, than paranoia, I think. You see, in Alaska there are quite a lot of people who obsess over survivalist-type hobbies. And most would agree that they go overboard in terms of practicality. But the truth is, most of us do have memories of sheltering at a local school or church during a natural disaster, or sharing firewood with neighbors, or rallying together to build a firebreak to protect hunting cabins against impending wildfires, or digging ditches by hand to drain a flooded neighborhood. Because we do not have the infrastructure or resources that more populated areas have, and so there is this mentality that we should all be prepared to take care of ourselves and our neighbors during natural disasters. None of us have starved, but we've all seen the grocery shelves laid bare when weather has cut off supplies and people think they have to buy up everything before it's gone. No one takes government planning seriously in a place that is too remote and underpopulated to manage except at the local level. So yes, spending a night on the gym floor at your elementary school as a kid certainly does inspire a person to grow up and have disaster plans. Probably more so than people who grew up where these things just never happen.

The other side of it is having your family's land and livelihood tossed aside anytime a big corporation has development plans, because they will always have more money and preferential treatment by the agencies and courts that make decisions and issue permits. That is simply a fact, that multi-million and sometimes billion dollar industries will always trump a family tradition, and while most Alaskans benefit when this happens, we've also seen plenty of these companies leave and in their wake is joblessness where there wasn't before, environmental damage where there wasn't before, and no accountability. And sometimes it manifests as irrational fear and hate of "government" as an entity, and branches off into irrelevant lashing out against government or development in general (whilst maintaining a modern lifestyle which both provide). Life experiences can make a person have odd allegiances that might not make sense in any other context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get you. :)

The advent of social media has allowed people to broadcast what used to be tightly held behind closed doors. Some people crave the attention. I categorize them as attention harlots - although, technically, they don't get paid so the term is a bit ill fitting.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I to bought into loose change and other documentaries. But if you study how conspiracies work its usually people taking various aspects of things and trying to chain them together somehow so it looks something suspicious is going on. For example...

EZoolander is a deist. A deist is someone who believes in a god, but also believes said god retired (in essence) after creating everything. And his name only has two letters capitalized. E and Z. Which EZ can be related to the EZ pass we use across the country to get you through tolls easier. Tolls that the government create. His picture is of Derek Zoolander from the Zoolander movie. In which Zoolander is not very smart because he is a model.

So what does this all mean? It means EZoolander is pretending to not be very smart since he uses Zoolander. But he is actually very smart since he understands the concept of god. This is why his letters are EZ. Because he works for the government and uses the accounts and license plates to put people into databases that he can access. Therefor he is part of the illuminati seeking to take over the world with said knowledge. If not look at the fact he has an ex who is chinese. She probably was part of the illuminati and they worked together gathering all these licesense plates, data and so on to further the agenda of the illuminati. And while they are no longer together, its a cover so she can work for the chinese government to gather their data and sell some of ours to them.

See, if you look at this picture from his profile, Dereks nose forms a triangle too for the all seeing eye!
dptjrs.jpg

You now know the truth! Illuminati confirmed!

Conspiracy made! ^_^ BTW obviously I am joking and hopefully EZ doesn't mind. We know hes really cool and not illuminati. :)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
LOL....I know this isn't the main point of your thread, but it's what's gotten traction: I NEVER paid attention to any conspiracy theory (always thought they sounded like what NII just described) or like this one ( :D) :

...but a few years ago I did start to give some credit to the whole 9/11 thing when this author was murdered as he was writing a new book on the topic. Reading the comments of his Amazon reviews tells a whole lot (IMO). This guy wasn't your typical foil hat kind of guy:

http://www.topinfopost.com/2013/10/...-marshall-his-2-kids-found-dead-in-california

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...veASIN=1468094580&linkCode=as2&tag=dcxpost-20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums