TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So when he was told about a kid possibly being rape, he turned it in to the police. If he didn't turned it over to the cops. Then he didn't do what he should of. None of them did what they should have done. But I guess in these cases few do.
what is supposed to happen and what does happen are two different things often as I'm sure you already know. What is not clear is the reason for that. I found it interesting that when I was doing some study and mandatory reporting was being covered the advice afterwards was don't report abuse allegations. The reasons were good reasons and all about getting more help to the victim. It was also made clear by the teacher that if it came out that we did not report abuse we would be hung out to dry for not following law and what would have been policy of employers. Same as why do people not report dodgy coworkers to their boss? At the end of the day it is usually because they have to face the reality that they work with these people and they will be shunned often if they do which then makes their life difficult and generally results in the whistle blower quitting their job or having a nervous breakdown.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paterno's still dead though, right?

Yeah. And when Sandusky dies the two can enjoy the afterlife together.

I guess they figure the mob has mostly put away their torches and pitchforks and extracted their pound of flesh so those revolting cowards that "run" the NCAA can get back to sanity now.

Tell us Bill, how much recompense or retribution is enough for the victims of child sexual abuse, for the victims of pedophiles and their enablers? Tell us all when the victim of a pedophile should just shut up and go away because the pedophile who abused him happened to have been on the coaching staff at Penn State University? Or because the pedophile worked for Joe Paterno?

Pound of Flesh...you know nothing. The mob in this case consisted of all those who saw the victims of child sexual predators as the actual victims as opposed to the football coach who allowed it to occur right under his nose.

Quote:

"Paterno was fired from his job, which he had held for 46 years, days after Sandusky's arrest in November last year.

Police have said that Paterno fulfilled his minimum legal requirement in alerting the university authorities to an allegation that Sandusky had abused a 10-year-old boy.

But a report earlier this month found that leading figures at Penn State including Paterno had shown a "total disregard" for the safety of Sandusky's victims."

Source: BBC News - Sandusky sex-scandal: Penn State removes Paterno statue

Paterno did only what he was required to do and then stopped. For the next ten years Sandusky still had full VIP access to the Penn State facilities. Paterno, along with the Penn State administration, looked the other way to in an attempt to avoid controversy, for the good of the program. This is the environment in which pedophiles thrive, and it was the environment Paterno created for Sandusky to thrive in.

You may want to wallow in sanctimony over poor Joe Paterno, but my sympathies lie with the kid in the shower of the Penn State football locker room, as well as the other victims.

In time, that will be restored too.

That is such a sad indictment on all who would want it to be restored. You have my pity.

Which you "know" because........

I have already addressed that.

oooooo, "philistine fan-boy sycophancy," well my my such big words.

Forum rules often prevent the use of more pointed terms.

Paterno was thrown to the wolves and the NCAA and many others are only now just realizing what a joke that was.

No, the joke is the NCAA caved to the fatuous and dissolute Paterno loyalist, to those who are far more concerned with a football record then they are about the prevention of child sexual abuse.

At least there was one Penn State student on the right track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOrHNbjkeU

Sandusky was the monster here, not Paterno.

Paterno enabled Sandusky. The nature of who Sandusky was and what he was doing has been called Penn States "well known secret."

Sandusky himself stated that the Paterno "never" approached him about his conduct at the school. If Paterno was so pure in all of this, why would that be? How could Paterno have reported the incident to police and then ignored the incident in his relations with the very guy involved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uctGknsr_c8

Yes he was flawed but a great coach and great person who will ultimately be remembered for it. You and anyone else still harboring self-righteous indignation can deal with that.

Self-righteous indignation? That is how you believe victims of child sexual abuse process, by becoming self-righteous? Seriously, you really need to stop talking about this subject, for you know nothing of it and very obviously have no sympathy for the victims of child sexual abuse.

So punish thousands who had nothing to do with this. Brilliant. Gee no ax to grind here.

Yeah, I have an ax to grind concerning this issue, and with good reason. But you know and care nothing of it so enjoy next season.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah. And when Sandusky dies the two can enjoy the afterlife together.

Tell us Bill, how much recompense or retribution is enough for the victims of child sexual abuse, for the victims of pedophiles and their enablers? Tell us all when the victim of a pedophile should just shut up and go away because the pedophile who abused him happened to have been on the coaching staff at Penn State University? Or because the pedophile worked for Joe Paterno?

Pound of Flesh...you know nothing. The mob in this case consisted of all those who saw the victims of child sexual predators as the actual victims as opposed to the football coach who allowed it to occur right under his nose.

Quote:

"Paterno was fired from his job, which he had held for 46 years, days after Sandusky's arrest in November last year.

Police have said that Paterno fulfilled his minimum legal requirement in alerting the university authorities to an allegation that Sandusky had abused a 10-year-old boy.

But a report earlier this month found that leading figures at Penn State including Paterno had shown a "total disregard" for the safety of Sandusky's victims."

Source: BBC News - Sandusky sex-scandal: Penn State removes Paterno statue

Paterno did only what he was required to do and then stopped. For the next ten years Sandusky still had full VIP access to the Penn State facilities. Paterno, along with the Penn State administration, looked the other way to in an attempt to avoid controversy, for the good of the program. This is the environment in which pedophiles thrive, and it was the environment Paterno created for Sandusky to thrive in.

You may want to wallow in sanctimony over poor Joe Paterno, but my sympathies lie with the kid in the shower of the Penn State football locker room, as well as the other victims.

That is such a sad indictment on all who would want it to be restored. You have my pity.

I have already addressed that.

Forum rules often prevent the use of more pointed terms.

No, the joke is the NCAA caved to the fatuous and dissolute Paterno loyalist, to those who are far more concerned with a football record then they are about the prevention of child sexual abuse.

At least there was one Penn State student on the right track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOrHNbjkeU

Paterno enabled Sandusky. The nature of who Sandusky was and what he was doing has been called Penn States "well known secret."

Sandusky himself stated that the Paterno "never" approached him about his conduct at the school. If Paterno was so pure in all of this, why would that be? How could Paterno have reported the incident to police and then ignored the incident in his relations with the very guy involved?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uctGknsr_c8

Self-righteous indignation? That is how you believe victims of child sexual abuse process, by becoming self-righteous? Seriously, you really need to stop talking about this subject, for you know nothing of it and very obviously have no sympathy for the victims of child sexual abuse.

Yeah, I have an ax to grind concerning this issue, and with good reason. But you know and care nothing of it so enjoy next season.
No, you know nothing and it is showing. Lumping Paterno in with Sandusky is offensive and so not true. If you have been hurt in this way then get help but quit trying to lay blame where it doesnt belong. As for Joe his afterlife will not be with Sandusky, they are going to much different places

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To anyone who actually knew the man and what he did and what he stood for. False accusations got him fired and probably contributed to his death and are just now being corrected. I have no idea if others at Penn State are to blame but for sure it wasnt Joe.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I did what I was legally required to do. Now I will wash my hands of the situation.

I will accept that my employer did little or nothing, and freely see the accused continuing to go unfettered in my branch of the university. .. for many years.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I did what I was legally required to do. Now I will wash my hands of the situation.

I will accept that my employer did little or nothing, and freely see the accused continuing to go unfettered in my branch of the university. .. for many years.
Did you even follow the facts? McQuerys story to Joe was inconclusive, it changed, the board did a knee jerk reaction and hung Joe out to dry. Thank goodness that there is finally some sanity where Joe is concerned. Most people once something is reported to the proper authorites do no more, they are not called to investigate or do anything else, if the ball was dropped it was at a level higher than Joe

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did you even follow the facts? McQuerys story to Joe was inconclusive, it changed, the board did a knee jerk reaction and hung Joe out to dry. Thank goodness that there is finally some sanity where Joe is concerned. Most people once something is reported to the proper authorites do no more, they are not called to investigate or do anything else, if the ball was dropped it was at a level higher than Joe

Yes, I followed the story closely. This is a key example of colleges brushing scandals under the rug. Joe Pa was one of many that did not do what needed to be done. He and the college tops deserved to be removed.

Please don't let your loyalty prompt you to believe that others don't know the details. Emotionalism eliminates a degree of objectivity.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually I am objective and I know that the man could not have done this and apparantly some reason and paying attention to the facts, which by the way is definitely not the Freeh report, finally happened. The NCAA did not cave, they simply had no leg to stand on.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Actually I am objective and I know that the man could not have done this and apparantly some reason and paying attention to the facts, which by the way is definitely not the Freeh report, finally happened. The NCAA did not cave, they simply had no leg to stand on.

Did what?
Did not do what?
The wins are neither here nor there. The man? What man? Paterno?
He did what he did, nothing more or less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Aureus

May 20, 2014
✟9,262.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
So a pedophile enabler that decided to turn a blind eye to what was going on because 'Football!' has people jumping at the bit to try and claim his total innocence, because 'Football!'. What a surprise....

Paterno thankfully has not been vindicated and will continue to go down in history as a good football coach and a terrible person. Outside of course the small community of people blinded by 'Football!.'

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe because there was no coverup on his part and he did what he was required to do. It is amazing how people want to heap blame on a man who all his life did good and was honorable. And yes he was vindicated with the restoration of his wins, now I would love to see Mark Emmert resign and Freeh sued for defamation.

He only reported it to his superiors, not the police. He never followed up. That is woefully insufficient. If I had reason to suspect one of my employees of such a crime, you an be very certain I would keep tabs on what was going on with it.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So a pedophile enabler that decided to turn a blind eye to what was going on because 'Football!' has people jumping at the bit to try and claim his total innocence, because 'Football!'. What a surprise....

Paterno thankfully has not been vindicated and will continue to go down in history as a good football coach and a terrible person. Outside of course the small community of people blinded by 'Football!.'
Check out the scholorships, the library and so many other things that Paterno supported financially other than football, check out the graduation rate for the players, Joe was so much more than football and was an honorable man. I am amazed at how easily people who have no idea what this man did will heap blame on him for something he didnt do. Of course that seems to be the way of people nowadays. makes you wonder whats in their closet that they really diont want anyone to look at so lets heap scorn and blame on the innocent guy

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would not call it vindication. But the punishment was rather extreme as far as people that didn't have accountability. I think the University administration is most culpable.

It's easy to look back and see it more clearly. The level of general ignorance about (child abuse) predators' behavior was pretty bad until fairly recently.

Athletic departments have been so insular that these kinds of reaction (CYA) have been the norm. Holding athletes and coacghes accountable for their off-field behavior is a relatively new phenomenon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not call it vindication. But the punishment was rather extreme as far as people that didn't have accountability. I think the University administration is most culpable. It's easy to look back and see it more clearly. The level of general ignorance about (child abuse) predators' behavior was pretty bad until fairly recently. Athletic departments have been so insular that these kinds of reaction (CYA) have been the norm. Holding athletes and coacghes accountable for their off-field behavior is a relatively new phenomenon.

Yes the punishment was too extreme. My understanding is that Paterno did what he was required to do under the law--he reported Sandusky to his supervisor. Should he have done more? Yes. Should he be punished if he met the requirements of the law? No. The real punishment should go to ex-President Spanier and the others who knew what was going on but did nothing.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The man is dead. He no longer cares about his "wins". He is beyond that.

And no amount of donations to charity or endowment of libraries or graduation rates of players will make up for the fact that, when children were being raped he did the very least he could do to avoid prison.

Upvote 0