Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It was announced yesterday that all sanctions have been lifted and all of Joes wins are restored. For those who held the faith a great victory, for those who came against a man that was always upstanding and honorable, shame on you. Glad the truth is finally coming out and for Phil Knight, shameon you for abandoning an old friend

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
It was announced yesterday that all sanctions have been lifted and all of Joes wins are restored. For those who held the faith a great victory, for those who came against a man that was always upstanding and honorable, shame on you. Glad the truth is finally coming out and for Phil Knight, shameon you for abandoning an old friend

Joe Paterno hasn't been vindicated (i.e. cleared of wrongdoing), they simply removed the sanctions. I've seen nothing to suggest a change in the facts regarding Paterno's knowledge/cover up of the Sandusky child sex scandal.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What "truth" are you referring to that came out?

And, this is clearly not a vindication of what took place and what appears to have allowed to have taken place with one of his football coaches, it was just a simple restoration of his wins on his record.

I always thought his wins should not have been taken away, because the wins had nothing to do with NCAA player violations.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Joe Paterno hasn't been vindicated (i.e. cleared of wrongdoing), they simply removed the sanctions. I've seen nothing to suggest a change in the facts regarding Paterno's knowledge/cover up of the Sandusky child sex scandal.
Maybe because there was no coverup on his part and he did what he was required to do. It is amazing how people want to heap blame on a man who all his life did good and was honorable. And yes he was vindicated with the restoration of his wins, now I would love to see Mark Emmert resign and Freeh sued for defamation.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe because there was no coverup on his part and he did what he was required to do. It is amazing how people want to heap blame on a man who all his life did good and was honorable. And yes he was vindicated with the restoration of his wins, now I would love to see Mark Emmert resign and Freeh sued for defamation.

We can all review the evidence in regards to the whole Sandusky issue and reach our own conclusions. Some would agree with you and some would not.

I don't see Paterno as some monster, but I do believe the evidence showed me, he wasn't all I thought he was and protecting the football program and reputations, were prime motivators for him.

Again, I don't believe the wins should have ever been taken away from him, because the Sandusky issue had nothing to do with them. Paterno was a terrific football coach and a flawed man, like all of us.

Reactions: HannahT
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paterno hasn't been vindicated, the NCAA caved. The restoration of the wins does nothing to change what occurred right under Paterno's nose, nor his placing the good of the football program above the good of the victims. He knew what was going on.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Paterno hasn't been vindicated, the NCAA caved. The restoration of the wins does nothing to change what occurred right under Paterno's nose, nor his placing the good of the football program above the good of the victims. He knew what was going on.

I think the NCAA finally realized, the wins had nothing to do with the Sandusky situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No actually he didnt and he reported it immeditely so that doesnt wash at all. I assume you know nothing of him or the program or else you would know that he was a man of integrity that always tried to do right

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No actually he didn't and he reported it immediately so that doesn't wash at all. I assume you know nothing of him or the program or else you would know that he was a man of integrity that always tried to do right

It is an unfortunate truth that due to some circumstances of my childhood I know far more about how pedophiles work than the majority of other people. It is a simple truth that Sandusky could not have engaged in the practices he did within the confines of the Penn State Football program without the knowledge of others within the program, others who either gave tacit approval or decided for the good of the program to look the other way.

This notion of Paterno being pure as the driven snow in regard to the Sandusky affair is undemanding philistine fan-boy sycophancy. So one of your icons fell from grace. Deal with it. The victims of Penn State, Paterno, and Sandusky will have a lifetime of emotional horrors to overcome. What makes you so special?

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is an unfortunate truth that due to some circumstances of my childhood I know far more about how pedophiles work than the majority of other people. It is a simple truth that Sandusky could not have engaged in the practices he did within the confines of the Penn State Football program without the knowledge of others within the program, others who either gave tacit approval or decided for the good of the program to look the other way.

This notion of Paterno being pure as the driven snow in regard to the Sandusky affair is undemanding philistine fan-boy sycophancy. So one of your icons fell from grace. Deal with it. The victims of Penn State, Paterno, and Sandusky will have a lifetime of emotional horrors to overcome. What makes you so special?
And what makes you so certain, he went to his bosses with what he knew, they did nothing, the blame doesnt lie on Joe and he is a man I respected because of how he ran the football program and the high standards he held the player s to even when it hurt the team. As I said, you know nothing of the man or the program he ran. Sandusky should have never happened but it wasnt Joe who was to blame. This man gave his heart and soul not only to the players and the program but also to Pnn State as well as millions of dollars.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So when he was told about a kid possibly being rape, he turned it in to the police. If he didn't turned it over to the cops. Then he didn't do what he should of. None of them did what they should have done. But I guess in these cases few do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Yes, the Paterno scandal was quite disturbing, but taking away the team wins and accolades was wrong.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Paterno scandal was quite disturbing, but taking away the team wins and accolades was wrong.

Given I am approaching this from an entirely different perspective, it wouldn't have bothered me if they had bulldozed the entire campus and turned it into an apple orchard.

However I realize there is only one way someone could view this event from such a perspective, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Sandusky will get his.

My position is the NCAA made the decision and should have stuck with it. Instead the message to the victims and their families is hey, never mind, we didn't really mean all that crap we said about caring or wanting to punish the guilty or making amends. Sorry!

As is typical and in keeping with the fine tradition set by Penn State and the Paterno era football program, they took the easy way out.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe because there was no coverup on his part and he did what he was required to do.

Indeed -- he served his punishment, just like a criminal serving out his prison sentence.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
amen. I figured it was a matter of time until that "let's pretend he didn't win games we all know he won" idiocy would go away, though I admit I thought it would take longer. I guess they figure the mob has mostly put away their torches and pitchforks and extracted their pound of flesh so those revolting cowards that "run" the NCAA can get back to sanity now.

Insufficient action by many, including Paterno, still stands; unlike the statue of Paterno.
In time, that will be restored too. :)

:doh:

Which you "know" because........

oooooo, "philistine fan-boy sycophancy," well my my such big words - lol

Paterno was thrown to the wolves and the NCAA and many others are only now just realizing what a joke that was. Sandusky was the monster here, not Paterno. Yes he was flawed but a great coach and great person who will ultimately be remembered for it. You and anyone else still harboring self-righteous indignation can deal with that.

Given I am approaching this from an entirely different perspective, it wouldn't have bothered me if they had bulldozed the entire campus and turned it into an apple orchard.
So punish thousands who had nothing to do with this. Brilliant. Gee no ax to grind here. Pure objective rational insight, yessirree. Pass the pitchfork.

Indeed -- he served his punishment, just like a criminal serving out his prison sentence.
More brilliant analogies.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0