National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take it that Protestants are conceding that there is nothing in traditional liturgical readings that support Calvinist, Augustinian, or even classical "Paulist" theology. Strange how little emphasis the Christian Church ever gave to abstruse theology and harsh doctrines. Plus these readings specifically refute "Once saved, always saved".
But I'm not trying to cause controversy. I'm trying to minimize conflict between between Catholic and Protestant. (I'll have something to say against Catholicism in due time.)

Doctrine is the largest divider amongst these church's, its not that they need to all read the same passages Paul made its that they need to open up there Torah and read what G-d's word says so they can see what Paul means.

unkern

National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there focus stayed on the Words of Yeshua over and above that of Paul there would be less controversy. Paul's writtings are hard to understand, even Peter admitted to that. Yeshua spoke in such a way His message is clear.

Im not trying to down what you said, but merely point out that Yeshua's parables were hard to understand.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Im not trying to down what you said, but merely point out that Yeshua's parables were hard to understand.
Perhaps the Jews Jesus was speaking to didn't really know or understand the OT/OC? I wasn't all competed until Jesus ascended after the Resurrection I would think. Jesus was trying to explain to them how He was the Fulfillment of all the OT Scriptures.

2 Corin 3:14 is an interesting verse and is Paul referring to the OT, NT Jews or both in this verse? Thanks

2 Corin 3:14 But was calloused the minds of them.
For until the today *day, the same covering upon the reading of the Old Covenant is remaining, no being up-covered. That In Christ it is being-taken-away

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,339.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Doctrine is the largest divider amongst these church's, its not that they need to all read the same passages Paul made its that they need to open up there Torah and read what G-d's word says so they can see what Paul means.
The only thing that I could see benifiting from that is knowing when Paul was quoting law from the Torah.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by unkern Doctrine is the largest divider amongst these church's, its not that they need to all read the same passages Paul made its that they need to open up there Torah and read what G-d's word says so they can see what Paul means.
What do they consider their Torah? :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Korah said:
I take it that Protestants are conceding that there is nothing in traditional liturgical readings that support Calvinist, Augustinian, or even classical "Paulist" theology. Strange how little emphasis the Christian Church ever gave to abstruse theology and harsh doctrines. Plus these readings specifically refute "Once saved, always saved".
But I'm not trying to cause controversy. I'm trying to minimize conflict between between Catholic and Protestant. (I'll have something to say against Catholicism in due time.)

Actually, I will say that the exact opposite is true.

First of all, the truths and revelations of Scripture should not be tempered by or weighed against traditional liturgical readings whether one is Protestant, Roman Catholic, or Orthodox. Rather, the liturgy should be weighed against Scripture for truth and accuracy.

Secondly, refusing to reckon or grapple with Paul's theology does not consitute some kind of pious rejection of "abstruse theology and harsh doctrines," but instead belies a grave spiritual and moral immaturity in the lives of Christians. Coming to terms with Paul's theology, that is, integrating it into one's own spiritual competence and biblical literacy, is the sign that a Christian has moved on from the milk to the meat.

Hebrews 5:12-14

12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like some Jews had a hard time with Jesus too,they could not understand the scriptures..from old...

John 5:39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If there focus stayed on the Words of Yeshua over and above that of Paul there would be less controversy. Paul's writtings are hard to understand, even Peter admitted to that. Yeshua spoke in such a way His message is clear.

Aren't Pauls words scripture too?

He was God's chosen instrument.The Lord encouraged him on his journey,he did not tell him his preaching was wrong.

Acts 9;15
But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the children of Israel.

Notice how those who twisted the words,were corrupt anyway..;)

2 Peter 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear unkern. My message comes a bit late, and you have moved on now. But I will give ita try. When Jesus was still living amongst us, He was quite serious in pointing out, " why must you Scribes and Pharisees make God` s Message so hard to understand?" When you point out that different doctrines, make some teachings hard to understand. Jesus gave us 2 Commandments, they contain all which God told us in His 10 Commandments. 1) Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. 2) Love our neighbour as we love ourselves. Love is the supreme, and all-powerful message. Jesus came to Earth to show us God, as He really is: our Heavenly Father, who is LOVE. Jesus also died for us, that we might live. He paid the price, which God`s Holy Law demanded, and which we ( humanity) could not pay. No man, or woman was without sin or wrongdoing, ONLY Jesus was. Jesus vanquished Satan and Death on Golgotha, and Jesus reconciled us to God. Love is what God wants from us now, pure and selfless, with no strings attached. We must repent, exchange our selfish and unloving natures, into loving and caring with hearts and hands. God comes first, He made us in His image, and all others, friend or foe, as we love ourselves. Although it sounds easy, we need the help and guidance of our Lord. It can be done, if that is the teaching, and aim of all the churches. What is wrong with that, unkern? I ask it with humility and love, please let me know. Is Paul`s teaching different? Could`nt we all agree on LOVE, and make it our aim?? Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.