Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many: as you know, people often say things like "it was exciting to do X because X is forbidden". In such statements, unhealthy passions are energized by virtue of their being forbidden. It seems to be a dark fact of human nature - we want to do what we are forbidden from doing.

The sentence in Romans 7 is what it is - you (and others) may not like it, but it says what it says: Paul's sinful passions were aroused by the Law. And it's not like this is the only statement about this dark effect of the law - similar claims saturate Romans 7 and also appear implicitly in Romans 9: What do you think the "stumbling stone" that God placed in Zion is (end of chapter 9)? Given chapter 7, and the whole tenor of 9 through 11, it is very likely the Law of Moses. What do you think it is?

This is Paul claiming to be a follower of Christ, claiming to speak for God, telling others to put to death the old man, telling others he has crucified his flesh, telling others to flee sexual immorality, to flee idolatry, to flee youthful lust, and telling others to follow him. I am sorry, but this is the ultimate example of hypocrisy.

Here are Paul's own words -

Romans 6:12
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. (Why is Paul letting sin reign in his mortal body that he should obey its lusts? And this is right before his dissertation in chapter 7.)

Romans 13:13
Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. (Why is Paul aroused with sinful passions?)

Romans 13:14
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts. (Has Paul really put on the Lord Jesus Christ if he is making provisions for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts?)

1 Corinthians 10:6
Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. (Yet, Paul is doing that very thing, that is, lusting after evil things.)

Galatians 5:16
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. (How can Paul be walking in the Spirit, when he is fulfilling the lust of the flesh?)

Ephesians 2
2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
(Paul is conducting himself in the lusts of his flesh, fulfilling the desires of his flesh and mind. This spirit works in the sons of disobedience.)

1 Thessalonians 4
4 that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God;
(Does Paul know how to posses his own vessel? Not according to Romans 7. He acts like those who do not know God)

Titus 2
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,
(Is Paul living under grace, or just pretending to? Why is he not denying worldly lust if he is living under grace?)

Paul condemns himself! If Paul actually gave in to his sinful passion, as he says he does, then all men should see Paul as he is, run and secure their doctrine elsewhere. And to think, Paul blamed his ungodly lust on the Law!

I pointed out to the other poster that it is simply conceptually incoherent to say that passions can have awareness as she (or he) implicitly claims. Can lust or desire or envy have awareness? No. Persons or minds have awareness, not attributes like lust and desire.

At the end of the day I suggest that (and I know you won't like this) the fundamental difference is this: I do not bend the meaning of words and sentences and I take Paul seriously. Paul says that his sinful passions were aroused by the Law, not that the Law "aroused him to awareness of his passions". You do not believe him. I really think it is as simple as that.

I gave you why I do not take Paul seriously. If believing a man who claims to speak for God, but who lives in the aroused passion of his lust, is your delight, stick with Paul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus gave commandments but they are simply not part of the Law of Moses! No scholar would hold such a view, although I suspect you will mount some kind of argument that Jesus's commandments somehow "count" as part of the Law of Moses. No Biblical scholar believes this, I am quite confident.

This is why I don't follow scholars. Where do you get the Ten Commandments are not part of the law? Hold on, I'll prove it is.

Luke 10
25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”
27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and‘your neighbor as yourself.’”
28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.

Did you notice what Jesus asked the man, 'What is written in the LAW?'. After the man answered the first two commandments, Jesus told him he answered RIGHTLY.

Even Paul said the Ten Commandments were of the Law.

Romans 13
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.
9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Perhaps you haven't read Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5.

Here is Deuteronomy 4:44 which precedes chapter 5 -
Now this is the LAW WHICH MOSES set before the children of Israel.
45 These are the testimonies, the statutes, and the judgments which Moses spoke to the children of Israel after they came out of Egypt,

Now, what does chapter 5 contain? Let's see -

6 ‘I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
7 ‘You shall have no other gods before Me.
8 ‘You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
10 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
11 ‘You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
12 ‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
15 And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
16 ‘Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
17 ‘You shall not murder.
18 ‘You shall not commit adultery.
19 ‘You shall not steal.
20 ‘You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
21 ‘You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife; and you shall not desire your neighbor’s house, his field, his male servant, his female servant, his ox, his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.

How is it you say that are not part of the law of Moses? I'm scratching my head on this one.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is why I don't follow scholars. Where do you get the Ten Commandments are not part of the law? Hold on, I'll prove it is.
I never said the 10 commandments were not part of the law.

Wait, see post 165.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is Paul claiming to be a follower of Christ, claiming to speak for God, telling others to put to death the old man, telling others he has crucified his flesh, telling others to flee sexual immorality, to flee idolatry, to flee youthful lust, and telling others to follow him. I am sorry, but this is the ultimate example of hypocrisy.
No, this is Paul saying what he says!

For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death

You may not like it, but it is what it is - clear, direct, and unambiguous statement the Law caused sinful passions to be aroused.

Here are Paul's own words -
No kidding. Why would you imagine that I, of all people, do not take Paul seriously. In chapter 6 he says all these things.

But that does not give you licence to ignore Chapter 7, nor does it give the other poster the licence to reword chapter 7 to make it say what she wants it to say.

Romans 6:12
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. (Why is Paul letting sin reign in his mortal body that he should obey its lusts? And this is right before his dissertation in chapter 7.)
Paul obviously does not want people to give into their lusts. But that does not change the fact that he says (in Romans 7) that the Law causes those lusts to be strengthened. There is no logical contradiction here whatsoever.

Likewise with all the other texts: There is no contradiction between exhorting people to not give in to their sinful passions, on the one hand, and acknowledging this strange effect that the Law has in terms of amplifying these passions, on the other.

I gave you why I do not take Paul seriously. If believing a man who claims to speak for God, but who lives in the aroused passion of his lust, is your delight, stick with Paul.
Well, I am glad you are being forthright that you do not believe Paul writes inspired scripture - that puts you in a very tiny minority here, but that's fine.

I have not told you everything that I need to say. Yes, Paul says what he says!!! The Law does indeed arouse sinful passions. You cannot deny this, of course, since the words are plain and clear so you have done the honourable thing and chosen to reject Paul as a spokesman for God. Fine, although that is a really odd view to hold if you profess to be a Christian.

Romans 7 is Paul's reflection on the non-believing Jew living under the Law. So it is in Paul's past. Now go ahead and ask me to explain why he uses the present tense at certain points. I am more than happy to answer that....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never said the 10 commandments were not part of the law.
Oh boy, now I know what you are thinking, but I still never said that the 10 commandments were not part of the Law of Moses.

Yes, Jesus gives commandments that are in the Law of Moses, but that does not mean He cannot believe that the Law of Moses is on the way out.

Here is why (it's a little tricky, but I am confident the reasoning is sound:

I as a Canadian will advise you "Do not commit murder as it says in your law".
You as an American live under a system of law that says "do not commit murder".

When I say "do not commit murder as it says in your American law", I could be citing a universal moral principle, and merely noting that this principle happens to instantiated American law. The fact that "do not murder" is part of American law does not, repeat does not, mean that anyone who says "do not murder" is invoking, citing, or otherwise appealing to American law as the "authority" for this prohibition against murder.

So when Jesus says "love God as it says in your Law of Moses", this statement could, repeat could, be understood as not necessarily endorsing the continuing authority of the Law.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where does this idea come from? I suggest you are not accounting for the details of Scriptures. Yes, there is some truth in what you say, but the Bible teaches that the Jews are not the same as the rest of us in at least one important sense - God chose them to be the people through whom creation would be set back on track. And, strange though it may seem, Paul is arguing that God hardened them to accomplish this. Have you read my post number 82?
Let me go through the issues with your post 82:

In Romans, Paul is deeply concerned with arguing that God has indeed been faithful to this promise - that God has indeed used Israel to bless the nations (Romans 9 and 11 are especially focused on this);

Paul makes a statement and does not question God being faithful to His promises, which is not the question being addressed in Ro. 9-11. In fully keep with the teaching method Paul has been virtually exclusively using, Paul gives before the question and after the question (Is God unjust?) logical support for a positive answer to that question like the support Paul gives in Ro. 9: 4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; 5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever.

Paul in Romans 9-11 is showing how God is fair and just even though it would appear to the Gentiles: God is treating the Jews unfairly graciously compared the them.
However, as per Romans 3, Paul recognizes that the way Israel will bless the nations cannot be through "showing them how wonderful the Law of Moses is". In Romans 3, he is pretty clear – the Law of Moses cannot be a blessing to the world in this way.
“Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.”

The Law is a blessing, but not a blessing to save people through works, since that was never its intent since no one could keep it. Jews from the beginning needed to trust (faith) God’s mercy forgiveness.

The Law could and should bring those under the Law to trusting in God’s mercy, because it is not something you can follow 100%.

The Law tells everyone and us even today, a ton of wonderful stuff about God, God’s Love, God’s holiness, God’s concerns, sin, forgiveness, atonement, fellowship, relationship, God’s power, and God’s discipline so we can know we are truly His children. So how can you say: “…the Law of Moses cannot be a blessing to the world in this way”?

To put a finer point on this, Paul sees that the Jew, like the Gentile, is in Adam. So while the Law of Moses is good, it is operating on a Jew who is as fallen as the Gentile.
Do not blame Adam and the fact the Jews cannot keep the Law has nothing to do with Adam. Where do you find the blaming of Adam for the people sinning in scripture? Adam did bring about death, but death is not bad in and of itself since that is the way the saved get to go home.

How then can God use the Jew to bless the world and be faithful to his promise?
Answer: God uses Law of Moses to make Israel draw the sin of the world onto itself. As per a line of reasoning you get in Romans 5, 7, ,9, and 11, Paul argues, cryptically perhaps, that God is using the Law of Moses as a kind of "sponge" to soak of the sins of the world into the nation of Israel..

You’re making no sense at all. Without the Law the nation of Israel would have become like all the other nations around them and would have fallen away like all the other nations before them. The Northern Jewish kingdom did not last because they left the law: “Love your neighbor as yourself”.

The law includes: “loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and energy and Loving your neighbor as yourself”, which is not part of rules found outside of the God’s Law.

No, the elect (good) Jews prepared the way for the Messiah.

1. Why would God do this? Answer: to collect sin together into "one place" (national Israel) so that this sin can then be focussed down into one person - Jesus. And then, sin is condemned on the cross (Romans 8:3).

“Focused Down” sounds like God need some mechanical means to deal with an intangible like sin. Where does the Bible suggest all the sins of the gentiles where collected in the Jews and why that would be needed?

What happened with the cross takes tons of explaining which is another topic.

1. By using Israel as this "sponge for sin", God has indeed been faithful to the Abrahamic promise. Law of Moses has, strangely, been used in this "dark" manner - making Israel more sinful, not less - for the ultimate benefit of us all..

Wow, God needs a sponge to clean with? How was Israel “more sinful” than the nations around them?

The Law of Moses includes “Love your neighbor as yourself”, so how is that “dark”?

1. Since the purpose of Law of Moses was to "lure sin into Israel" and then into Jesus, the condemnation of sin on the cross brings the task of Law of Moses to a close
That is not scriptural, the law as I have shown with scripture:

Ro. 11: 11 Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all!...

The recovery is what God is looking for, since it requires accepting God’s charity.

Ro. 11: 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. 32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience, so that he may have mercy on them all.

The Law makes the disobedience all the more, but that is “in order”.

Ro. 3: 20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin.

Being made conscious of our sins is good not bad.

Ro. 3: 21 …the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.

Again the law helped the Jews “know” God’s righteousness.

Ro. 8: 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh,

It is not the Law that is the problem, but the flesh (physical humanity).

Gal. 3 :19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

The Law was not given to make the people transgress, but because the people transgress.

Gal. 3: 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.

Is a guardian ever bad?

Gal. 5: 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

This was true from the beginning, but the Jews were overlooking it.

1 Tim. 1: 8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.

So how could it be bad in any way since any bad would eliminate the good?

Heb. 10:1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves.

Is the Law a bad shadow?

10. Since its task has been completed, the Law of Moses is then retired with honour.
Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Well, this is certainly not what Paul argues in Romans 7 (at least) where he argues that the Law brought death.

You are not looking at all of Romans 7: 13 Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! Nevertheless, in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it used what is good to bring about my death, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

Coming to the realization that you are a big time sinner and not worthy of anything, is a killer to your pride and self-esteem. You are incapable of giving yourself life, but if you turn to God you can live.

I never said the Law was to blame for anything although I concede it is easy for you and others to assume this. I have recently explained that while the Law is indeed "good", when it acts on fallen human beings (Jews, of course, since only Jews were under the Law), it produces this dark outcome where sin is increased.

Again, Paul's words, not mine.

We both through around the term: “sin is increased”, but what does that mean?

One unforgiven sin can cause you to go to hell, so does it matter how much you sin beyond your first unforgiven sin?

A non-Jewish gentile prior to Christ for at least a while was burden by decisions they had made that hurt others in the past (they had a conscience for at least a while). The Jew, on the other hand, had the Law which spelled out how significant and severe sins are and placed them against God Himself, so in that respect the same sin was increased.

You seem to be saying: “the quantity of sins was much greater for the Jews than the gentiles”, which I do not see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you not know ALL the LAW and PROPHETS hang on two commandments?
Hello EmSw.

Given that the law and the prophets hang on the two commandments that
Jesus quoted. How many commandments in total would you say there are?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was bad in terms of the effect it produced on fallen humanity, even though the Law is good of itself. This is not me speaking, this is Paul:

For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death.

for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.

Paul is arguing that there is force, or power, loose in the world. Call it sin, evil, Satan, whatever. That power gains strength through the Law. So, yes, the Law does create problems for the Jew. But Paul is careful to point the finger at sin, not the Law, as the real culprit:

Therefore did that which is good (***the Law by obvious context) become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful

Paul's argument is complex and counter-intuitive. Yet it is carefully argued to the point that we should get his message, if we are open to it.

You are making it; “complex and counter-intuitive”.

Paul is saying the sinfulness (our selfishness/coveting our being in the “flesh”) already within everyone both Jew or gentile is brought out by the Law for the Jews. Paul does not suggest it is the “Law” that makes us fleshly, but it is our being fleshly that gives us “our sinful passions”, so it is the Law that exposes or arouses our sinful passions.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are making it; “complex and counter-intuitive”.

Paul is saying the sinfulness (our selfishness/coveting our being in the “flesh”) already within everyone both Jew or gentile is brought out by the Law for the Jews. Paul does not suggest it is the “Law” that makes us fleshly, but it is our being fleshly that gives us “our sinful passions”, so it is the Law that exposes or arouses our sinful passions.
I heartily agree, but with one very important caveat. Two points

1. I agree that I may not have been clear as I should have been that it is the "fleshly" nature within everyone that is the seat, or source, of our sinful passions. If I gave the impression that the Law created these passions, that was a big mistake on my part.

2. However, I would stick with Paul on the distinction between "arouse" and "reveal". This is my caveat to what you say since I am not sure whether you see "arouse" as meaning the same thing as "expose". These two concepts are quite different and while Paul certainly thinks the Law "exposes" our sin (makes us aware of it), he also believes the Law strengthens and arouses our sinful passions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello EmSw.

Given that the law and the prophets hang on the two commandments that
Jesus quoted. How many commandments in total would you say there are?

Jesus said ALL, so it covers as many as you can find. I think I've read somewhere it's around 650 or so.
And it covers ALL the prophets also.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh boy, now I know what you are thinking, but I still never said that the 10 commandments were not part of the Law of Moses.

Yes, Jesus gives commandments that are in the Law of Moses, but that does not mean He cannot believe that the Law of Moses is on the way out.

Here is why (it's a little tricky, but I am confident the reasoning is sound:

I as a Canadian will advise you "Do not commit murder as it says in your law".
You as an American live under a system of law that says "do not commit murder".

When I say "do not commit murder as it says in your American law", I could be citing a universal moral principle, and merely noting that this principle happens to instantiated American law. The fact that "do not murder" is part of American law does not, repeat does not, mean that anyone who says "do not murder" is invoking, citing, or otherwise appealing to American law as the "authority" for this prohibition against murder.

So when Jesus says "love God as it says in your Law of Moses", this statement could, repeat could, be understood as not necessarily endorsing the continuing authority of the Law.

Why are you citing, 'do not commit murder' to me? Don't you know that will arouse my sinful passion to commit murder?

See how silly your premise is?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, this is Paul saying what he says!

For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death

You may not like it, but it is what it is - clear, direct, and unambiguous statement the Law caused sinful passions to be aroused.

I still say you are equating the Law with inappropriate contentography.

So, what arouses sinful passions in believers today? What do they have, on which they can blame these passions?

One more thing, why would Paul say the Law is abolished, then make this statement?

Romans 7
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Why is he serving that which was abolished?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,114.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Paul makes a statement and does not question God being faithful to His promises, which is not the question being addressed in Ro. 9-11.
I am not sure how you can say this given the introduction:

1I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, 2that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh, 4who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, 5whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.
6But it is not as though the word of God has failed.

While Paul does not directly say "here in this chapter, I will explain that God has indeed been faithful to His promises", I think that the above forces us to infer this. Why? Israel is presently in a bad state and yet she was given all the covenant promises. That is what verse 1 - 5 tell us. They are about the state of Israel to whom so many promises were made -adoption as sons, glory. In fact Paul explicitly identifies promises:

4who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises,

Give the sad state of Israel, and these promises that God made to her, what promises do you think are on Paul's mind when he writes this?:

6But it is not as though the word of God has failed.

Are you going to deny that the "word of God" is not a way of saying "the promises God has made". When I say "I keep my word", that is equivalent to "I keep my promises".

How can Paul not be saying that God has kept His promises to Israel and I am about to explain why?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said ALL, so it covers as many as you can find. I think I've read somewhere it's around 650 or so.
And it covers ALL the prophets also.
Hello EmSw.

Thanks for the reply.

You also stated the following.
Is there a law concerning murder, adultery, fornication, theft, and false
witnesses? Do we abolish them? Are these laws not to be kept any longer?
Good questions EmSw.

Jesus stated the following.

Matthew 5:18
For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or
stroke shall pass from the Law
until all is accomplished.

Not one of these laws will be obsolete until all is accomplished.

So may I ask you the following question EmSw.

If not one of the laws can be obsolete, then it follows of course, that
circumcision is still in force.

Leviticus 12:3
On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

So why does Paul then say the following.

1 Corinthians 7:18
Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become
uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be
circumcised.

Why EmSw, does Paul regard the law of circumcision as obsolete, given that
not the smallest letter of the law shall pass?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello EmSw.

Thanks for the reply.

You also stated the following.

Good questions EmSw.

Hello klutedavid.

Jesus stated the following.

Matthew 5:18
For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Not one of these laws will be obsolete until all is accomplished.

It is my belief all the physical laws are now accomplished spiritually. Many of the laws point to Jesus fulfilling them spiritually. Many will not see the spiritual side of the law, because they are stuck in the physical. If their eyes don't see it, they don't believe it.

So may I ask you the following question EmSw.

If not one of the laws can be obsolete, then it follows of course, that circumcision is still in force.

Leviticus 12:3
On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

So why does Paul then say the following.

1 Corinthians 7:18
Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised.

Why EmSw, does Paul regard the law of circumcision as obsolete, given that not the smallest letter of the law shall pass?

Yes, circumcision is still in force; however, it is in force spiritually. Those who see with natural eyes, do not see circumcision spiritually. They can only see cutting of the flesh. However, spiritual circumcision was mentioned in the Law of Moses, but many fail to see it. You gave Leviticus 12:3, which mentions the physical circumcision. I will provide two passages from the Law which mention spiritual circumcision.

Deuteronomy 10:16
Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer.

Deuteronomy 30:6
And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

It is the circumcision of the heart which leads to life. It is also this circumcision which allows one to love the Lord with all his heart and soul.

Even Jeremiah mentions the spiritual circumcision in chapter 4, verse 4 -

Circumcise yourselves to the Lord, and take away the foreskins of your hearts, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, lest My fury come forth like fire, and burn so that no one can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

Do I know the spiritual side of every law and commandment? No, I do not, but walking in His Light, He will lead me where I need to go.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

This is how we worship God today, for God is Spirit and we must worship Him in Spirit and truth. I hope this helps to explain my beliefs.

Upvote 0