Paul's Commission - to "gentiles" or lost sheep?

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are two things that stand out in relation to Yeshua's work. While his work/ministry was obviously multi-faceted and addressed many things, the "weight" seems to be on the lost sheep. The first thing that jumped out to me was from Matthew 4:17 which says, "From that time on, Yeshua began to preach saying, 'Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.'" In English, "repent" means to turn away from or change your mind. However, he wasn't speaking English and probably would have used a form of the word shuv, like teshuvah. The concept behind that word does carry the idea of turning away or changing your mind but instead of leaving you where you changed your mind, teshuvah also gives a destination. It is a call BACK, a call to RETURN, which is interesting because one must have had to be where you are being called BACK TO or else it doesn't make sense. So, it appears the statement is to a targeted audience. This then leads to the second verse which stands out, Matthew 15:24 where Yeshua says, "I have not been sent BUT to the lost sheep of the House of Israel." While his work was for ALL, all decay and die and need a Savior, the weight apparently was placed on calling Israel, as prophesied many times, back from the nations.

The problem is, he never made it to the nations. Instead, he pretty much didn't leave that geographical area he was raised in. So, how does he continue this work, accomplish this mission? He starts by sending out his disciples to the same. He tells them in Matthew 10:5b-6, "Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." So no gentiles (pagans in this sense) and not Samaritan cities (the former capital of the Northern Kingdom and no longer occupied by them) but instead, "to the lost sheep of the House of Israel." That leaves Paul...

Paul is said to be the “Apostle to the gentiles.” But this isn’t exactly true… you see, there is probably more to Paul’s calling then we have been previously taught. In Acts 9:15 it says:But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel.” The key here is the two times we see the word “and” and also, perhaps, a different translation for ethnos. Let’s start there… the word “ethnos” is translated most often as gentiles, then nation and nations. Essentially it is any nation not Israel... Israel can be in the ethnos, is in a sense an ethnos, but the word generally is used to differentiate those who are not Israel from Israel. So we see it translated as gentiles which today is defined as "any believer who is not Jewish." However, historically that was not the case. Webster's 1828 defined it first as a pagan, second as a heathen, and third as "anyone who is neither Jewish nor Christian." Thus, historically speaking, a "gentile Christian" was an oxymoron. Anyway, out of the 164 times that the word ethnos appears in the "NT," 64 times it is translated as nation or nations. In fact the Young's Literal translated ethnos as "nations" in Acts 9:15. So allow me the freedom to do the same, it is a valid translation here.

"before the nations, and kings, and the children of Israel

Now let’s focus on the two times the word “And” appears. Paul was sent to “Nations AND Kings AND the Children of Israel.” Two “ands” but also, these are two Different Greek words. The first is kai, which is the word for "and." The second however, is "te," which is the word for both. So now let me read this verse again:

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Nations, and kings, both the children of Israel.

Now I am curious, how many recognize that line, “nations and kings both the children of Israel?” Anyone? Let me share another verse with you:

Genesis 35:11 Also God said to him(Jacob): “I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall proceed from you, and kings shall come from your body.

Nations and kings come from the loins of Israel and Paul was sent to nations and kings who were both the children of Israel/Jacob. Yeshua quoted Jacob’s blessing over Paul thus like Yeshua and like the other disciples, Paul was sent on the same mission, to the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel. The Great Commission, then, did not say, "Go into Judea and chase down the Jews and convert them," it said to go to the nations and make disciples/students... OF WHO? Anyone who turns toward the God of Israel? Of course!!! But specifically, the weight remains on the mission that began with Yeshua, that was passed to the disciples, and even to Paul. The Great Commission is a continuation of that work passed even unto us!

That leaves the Spirit... the final piece of the puzzle and the driving force behind this all. You see, the Spirit was given as a comforter, teacher, corrector, and even as a guide. But it was also given so that we could be about the task of rebuilding a HOUSE, the House of Israel. Sound crazy?

Exodus 35:30 And Moses said unto the children of Israel, See, the LORD has called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; (31) And he has filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship;

God placed His Holy Spirit into the men he desired to build His Tabernacle... the Spirit was given to build a House for God! The precedent is set in Exodus 35 and with Yeshua saying he came for the lost sheep, with him sending his disciples and Paul to the same... then the Spirit was poured out on Shavuot/Pentecost 2000 years ago to build a house, the House of Israel which had been broken into so many pieces that no man could count. And piece by piece (person by person) the House is being rebuilt.

Last edited:
Reactions: visionary

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Reminds me of this...
Eph 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of this...
Eph 2:16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: 17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

His work was clearly for all people, all of creation... but the weight was on the Lost Sheep. He said, "My sheep hear my voice." I heard it, I came in faith, I am one of those sheep and now part of His family, Israel.

Blessings.
Ken :)

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
There are probably Jews, Israelites from the other tribes, and true Gentiles, being called in this age, the group called The Elect. In the Millennium Israel (with the Jews) will be the main focus, and in the age thereafter the Nations will be the main focus. It says the tree of life will give fruit every month and be for the healing of the nations. The tree of life is Torah, which means that proselytes from the nations will cling to Torah every month, and the Torah will heal and transform the nations.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are probably Jews, Israelites from the other tribes, and true Gentiles, being called in this age, the group called The Elect. In the Millennium Israel (with the Jews) will be the main focus, and in the age thereafter the Nations will be the main focus. It says the tree of life will give fruit every month and be for the healing of the nations. The tree of life is Torah, which means that proselytes from the nations will cling to Torah every month, and the Torah will heal and transform the nations.

I tend to agree in that, the Dry Bones of Ezekiel, represent "the Whole House of Israel." But, we are also waking up, if you will, to different things. We (or me) to an identity with Israel, a draw to the land and the Jewish people (the other house) and also to Torah. I didn't wake up "deciding" to study the feasts, I woke up yearning to understand them and be part of them. Both the older and younger brothers, Judah and Ephraim, in the Parable of the Prodigal Son, have seen God from two different perspectives and soon those perspectives will merge.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
As Peter said

Acts 10:34 In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ—He is Lord of all

Upvote 0