Pastor in gay scandal: I'm back from 'wilderness'

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
"Speaking out two years after being embroiled in a gay sex scandal, former evangelical pastor Ted Haggard said Friday his sexual identity is complex and can't be put into "stereotypical boxes," but that his relationship with his wife is stronger than ever.

"I am guilty. I am responsible," Haggard, 52, said Friday in a phone interview. "I got off track, and I am deeply sorry and I repent ... I'm moving along in a positive direction."

"I think sexuality is confusing and complex," Haggard said. "I am totally completely satisfied with the relationship with my wife now, but I went through a wandering in the wilderness time, and I just thank God I'm on the other side of that."

source
Q. If he's "totally completely satisfied with the relationship with my wife now" with a sexual identity so complex it's not stereotypical, which to me would be heterosexuality, or homosexuality, or bisexuality, just what kind of sexual identity could he have?

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
I'm sorry washington, but what does this have to do with Israel being evil war criminals? Didn't you get the memo? All threads in N&CE must start with that premise now.
Yeah, just what is this current boring obsession with the Mideast anyway?

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is just sad listening to the man tap dance around the issues like this. He's obviously in to dudes.
So what. He found a way to reconcile with his wife whom he pledged to love and cherish unto death. Both of them deserve credit for working through this.

It's pretty easy condemning those who face challenges that you will never have to face, isn't it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sad as in I feel bad for him. He's trying really hard to avoid admitting that he's a homosexual.
Again, so what if he is. He made a pledge before God to his wife and now he is fulfilling his pledge. What fault do you find in this?

His wife cut him some slack and forgave him. He admitted his mistake in going against his marriage vows. They both are trying to move forward with life. What is there in this situation to make fun of? Are all the rest of us without fault in everything that we can condemn this man for this?

Thanks for assuming I'm mocking him though.
Perhaps I misunderstood your post. However, most here are mocking him with glee.

Upvote 0

InterestedBystander

Finds anti-Christ supporting Christians appalling
Jan 5, 2009
✟15,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Q. If he's "totally completely satisfied with the relationship with my wife now" with a sexual identity so complex it's not stereotypical, which to me would be heterosexuality, or homosexuality, or bisexuality, just what kind of sexual identity could he have?

confused

It's the wife I'm worried about. I'm trying to picture myself in such a situation, and I'd be saying, "Gee, thanks a lot dear. I love you too." She must be a better woman than I am, for I would have a very difficult time wanting to remain married to him.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
confused

It's the wife I'm worried about. I'm trying to picture myself in such a situation, and I'd be saying, "Gee, thanks a lot dear. I love you too." She must be a better woman than I am, for I would have a very difficult time wanting to remain married to him.
Then again she may have been in on his homo or bisexuality for years, and even played a willingly active part of it.

Upvote 0

InterestedBystander

Finds anti-Christ supporting Christians appalling
Jan 5, 2009
✟15,168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then again she may have been in on his homo or bisexuality for years, and even played a willingly active part of it.

Denial, probably. I knew a couple- both as nice as could be. Poor guy was glaringly homosexual. Both his brother and sister are also homosexual and his parents even thought he was too. Sat both he and his wife down before they were married and straight out said something to the effect of, 'Why don't you all wait? We thought you were gay?' He was adamant that he wasn't and she married him anyway. Went on a business trip with her and others from work and she was constantly calling him, worried that he was hanging out with this other guy we all knew who was 'out', whom he told her he was 'just friends' with. Of course, he was! Anyway, he left her with a Dear Jane Letter about a year later. He once told me that he always wanted to get married because he wanted kids. Tragic what they both put themselves through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Denial, probably. I knew a couple- both as nice as could be. Poor guy was glaringly homosexual. Both his brother and sister are also homosexual and his parents even thought he was too. Sat both he and his wife down before they were married and straight out said something to the effect of, 'Why don't you all wait? We thought you were gay?' He was adamant that he wasn't and she married him anyway. Went on a business trip with her and others from work and she was constantly calling him, worried that he was hanging out with this other guy we all knew who was 'out', whom he told her he was 'just friends' with. Of course, he was! Anyway, he left her with a Dear Jane Letter about a year later. He once told me that he always wanted to get married because he wanted kids. Tragic what they both put themselves through.
Of course, it's possible she's in denial, AND possibly not. We simply don't know, which is why it's unwise to assume either.

Upvote 0

GMRELIC

Jan 30, 2004
texas
✟1,623.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks to society's hatred, another gay/or bisexual man got into a relationship with a woman, denying to himself and everyone what he really was, and hoping he would be cured or his sexuality, shame on society for putting people thru such pressure, look at all the people who got hurt on this issue, wife, kids, himself, church, etc. If society would just
quit trying to make these people feel like unworthy pieces of trash, then alot of this type of pain would never have happened. I really feel for the wife, and him, he was driven to the lies by society, who made him feel ashame of who he is.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Thanks to society's hatred, another gay/or bisexual man got into a relationship with a woman, denying to himself and everyone what he really was, and hoping he would be cured or his sexuality, shame on society for putting people thru such pressure, look at all the people who got hurt on this issue, wife, kids, himself, church, etc. If society would just
quit trying to make these people feel like unworthy pieces of trash, then alot of this type of pain would never have happened. I really feel for the wife, and him, he was driven to the lies by society, who made him feel ashame of who he is.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0