Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Studying the Bible, specifically in line with the reflection of the Passover from the OT and the NT.

Exodus 12 and Matthew 26:17-30

This year will be the first time for me to be annually celebrating this. To be really honest, I am not sure how to go about it. So, I am asking what you do during that time of the year? :angel:

• Agree
Reactions: Toro

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
:wave:

Hi Swan, Right now we are in the Feast week of Sukkot which is the celebration of the harvest and it represents the time coming soon of the wedding week of the Lamb and his bride.

Passover is the beginning of months so now is a good time to study up and prepare.

The main thing is a dietary change for one week. It is a lesson in other ways, mainly getting your house cleaned of leaven, both where you live and within you, that house (Jesus called a persons inner being a house in Matthew 12:44). So it represents getting the sin out. This was done for the Children of Israel upon leaving Egypt, to start the cleansing of that place and their idol pagan ways. It also represents that time and when G-d took us out of slavery (to sin) and brought us to the promised land.

I start preparing about a month before, around Purim with my kitchen, going through my foodstuffs and separating things out that can't be eaten at that time of Passover. This gives me a month to eat them up so there is none left by Erev Pasach.

It is best for the actual Passover Seder to find a place where you can keep the Passover with others. Many Christian Churches have some that come in to share about the Passover so you can start looking around to see what you can find. Most Messianic congregations hold a Community Seder and you can buy a ticket in advance for it.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The following link is a download of our congregations slide presentation for the Pesach Seder. It should contain all the information you are seeking. A Messianic Jewish Haggadah for Pesach

Curious, why are you focusing on Pesach now during the time of Sukkot?

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Curious, why are you focusing on Pesach now during the time of Sukkot?

I'm not Messianic but I am very much interested in the thing Jesus had done. Throughout the Bible it is shown that God never changes, so I want to practise the thing that Jesus has... if that makes sense. :angel:

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not Messianic but I am very much interested in the thing Jesus had done. Throughout the Bible it is shown that God never changes, so I want to practise the thing that Jesus has... if that makes sense. :angel:
I wasn't so much questioning your heart motive and draw to Torah, just confused why someone would be focusing on the spring feasts as the fall feasts are occurring. Sorta like, why are you thinking of Christmas in the middle of summer? Maybe you have decided to observe/honor Pesach next years cycle, and your starting your studies now. Cool. The link I provided will help you understand the Passover seder as followed by a Messianic Jewish synagogue.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't so much questioning your heart motive and draw to Torah, just confused why someone would be focusing on the spring feasts as the fall feasts are occurring. Sorta like, why are you thinking of Christmas in the middle of summer? Maybe you have decided to observe/honor Pesach next years cycle, and your starting your studies now. Cool. The link I provided will help you understand the Passover seder as followed by a Messianic Jewish synagogue.

Ah, I see now :)

The only events I've grown up with were Easter - both unbiblical and was told that it was about Christ's death and resurrection.

And Christmas celebration.

I haven't practised anything else in rememberance, unfortunately. I guess I'm just trying to be less of the world and try as best I can to walk as Jesus did.

Oh and thanks for the link!

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi! I notice your thread is getting resurrected now that we are all getting resurrected for Pesach.

SPRING CLEANING -- getting rid of residue yeast

I started cleaning my house from top to bottom last week. Every item is pulled off every shelf, dusted, wiped off (and organized as long as I'm at it). All the blinds are wiped down and the mouldings too. The floors are given an extra good scrubbing all the way to the teeny tiny corners. The refrigerator is cleaned inside and out. Even dresser and desk drawers are emptied and wiped down.

GETTING RID OF CHAMETZ (Yeast foods)

I am presently making it a point to eat all my stored up breads, crackers, and other yeast products (anything with corn syrup is considered chametz). A couple days before Pesach, I put all the yeast products I couldn't get rid of into the same cabinet, and shut it, and block it off with foil. I "sell it" to my next door neighbor for a quarter. Really. If she wanted to, she could come and take it. But she doesn't. She knows I'm doing this for Passover. You can sell your chametz online here: Sell Your Chametz Online - Use this online form to sell your chametz for Passover. I also symbolically burn a cracker, just to keep in touch with with all the ways of doing thing.

The night before Passover I do a ritualized Final Search for Chametz. I take a candle for lighting, a feather to sweep the chametz, a spoon to remove it, and a paper back to put it in, and I search the entire house one last time. Usually I find nothing. But occasionally I'll find something I've overlooked. Like one year I found a bottle of cough syrup that had corn syrup in it.

MATZAH AND KASHRUT

Through the whole week of Passover, I don't eat any Chametz, but instead I eat matzah. Matzah is unleavened bread. It's like a thick cracker with no salt. The matzah and other foods have to be labeled "kosher for passover" if they are processed or be things like fresh fruits and veggies or milk.

SEDER MEALS

I participate in three Seder meals. The first night is at my home, which I do with a special gentleman friend from Synagogue. The second night I'll be attending a Seder meal at my Synagogue -- it will last until after midnight. The third night of Passover, my Catholic parish is also having a Seder. I am on the planning committee as the Jewish advisor, and I will be singing the brachot (blessings) during the meal.

The Seder Meal is a highly ritualized meal, in which different food represent different things from the Exodus story. For example, the bitter herbs represent the bitterness of slavery. Although it is a memorial, it is more than that -- it is worded in the present tense because one is supposed to be experiencing the Exodus for one's self as if one is actually there, a Jew, a slave, being freed by God's power and might.

If you want to participate in a Seder Meal and have never attended one yourself, I strongly strongly suggest that you find one to attend at a synagogue or church. They can be overwhelming even if you know what you are doing.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

dfw69

Pre-Tribulation Pre- False Messianic Age
Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Questions I have for the timeline of Passover and feast of unleavened bread

Day 1 of Passover Nissan 10 the lamb chosen (is this also the time to yeast clean?)

Day 4 of Passover Nissan 14 the lamb eaten with
Unleavened bread (is this not the first day of the feast of unleavened bread?) (are the unleavened bread made on this day as well?)

Day 7 of Passover Nissan 17 (firstfruits?..and 3rd day of unleavened bread? And first day of counting of Omer?)

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Day 1 of Passover Nissan 10 the lamb chosen (is this also the time to yeast clean?)

Unleavened bread (is this not the first day of the feast of unleavened bread?) (are the unleavened bread made on this day as well?)

Day 7 of Passover Nissan 17 (firstfruits?..and 3rd day of unleavened bread? And first day of counting of Omer?)
The Passover lambs were killed on the afternoon of Abib 14 (Nisan 14). The next day (Abib 15) is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The Jews consider Abib 15 Day 1 of Passover and Abib 21 as Day 7 of Passover. They include a short time on Abib 14 shortly before sundown as well. From Abib 15 -21, no leaven is to be eaten. Many stop eating leaven by noon on Abib 14.

• Informative
Reactions: dfw69
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
GETTING RID OF CHAMETZ (Yeast foods)

I am presently making it a point to eat all my stored up breads, crackers, and other yeast products (anything with corn syrup is considered chametz). A couple days before Pesach, I put all the yeast products I couldn't get rid of into the same cabinet, and shut it, and block it off with foil. I "sell it" to my next door neighbor for a quarter. Really. If she wanted to, she could come and take it. But she doesn't. She knows I'm doing this for Passover. You can sell your chametz online here: Sell Your Chametz Online - Use this online form to sell your chametz for Passover. I also symbolically burn a cracker, just to keep in touch with with all the ways of doing thing.
Exodus 12:15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; howbeit the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses; for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.​

To keep it in your house transgresses the command. What do you mean by "I couldn't get rid of"? That's like saying, "Sins I don't want to give up".

Selling your chametz to a non-Jew is absolutely absurd. Not only does that tradition cause you to transgress the Almighty's command (Matthew 15:3), but it is like passing your sins on to another and then taking those same sins back.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you want to participate in a Seder Meal and have never attended one yourself, I strongly strongly suggest that you find one to attend at a synagogue or church. They can be overwhelming even if you know what you are doing.

Blessings.
I totally agree.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Studying the Bible, specifically in line with the reflection of the Passover from the OT and the NT.

Exodus 12 and Matthew 26:17-30

This year will be the first time for me to be annually celebrating this. To be really honest, I am not sure how to go about it. So, I am asking what you do during that time of the year? :angel:
I suggest you attend a Seder hosted by a congregation of believers. It will be much more applicable to you than one hosted by a non-Messianic Synagogue simply because they will not tie in Messiah Yeshua to the Seder. For example, they won't tell you that Yeshua fulfills the Passover lamb killed on Abib 14 or that he died at the exact times the lambs were commanded to be killed. If you don't know of a Seder near you, perhaps we can help if you tell us the name of a nearby city.

I also suggest you clean the leaven out of your house and throw it away. That does not need to be done according to Jewish tradition (feather, etc.), but it does need to get done to symbolize your desire to rid sin, hypocrisy, false doctrine, etc., out of your life. The first day and last day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread are holy days in which no work is permitted except what you must eat. Spend that time studying about Passover and the FOUB and what it means to you and how you can apply it to your life.

May you have a truly blessed Passover season.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

Day 5 Unleavened bread (the first day of the feast of unleavened bread) It is a Sabbath [feast Sabbath].

Day ??[depending on year, as the day after weekly sabbath can fall on any day count] (firstfruits is first day of counting of Omer?)
I hope this helps

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Well, Yom HaBikkurim (day of the firstfruits, the day Yeshua raised from the dead) is ALWAYS on a Sunday (unless you want to follow Rabbinic Judaism). The counting of the Omer starts there and ends on Shavuot (Pentecost) that is also ALWAYS on a Sunday. Leviticus 23:15–16

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dfw69

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Passover lambs were killed on the afternoon of Abib 14 (Nisan 14). The next day (Abib 15) is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The Jews consider Abib 15 Day 1 of Passover and Abib 21 as Day 7 of Passover. They include a short time on Abib 14 shortly before sundown as well. From Abib 15 -21, no leaven is to be eaten. Many stop eating leaven by noon on Abib 14.

Ok so before sunset is when lambs are slain ...sunset would be Nissan 15 ... they ate unleavened bread during the Passover meal ... in which the angel of death at midnight passed over each house with blood on post

At what time on Nissan 15 was the commandment given to leave Egypt?

And what events took place on the 7 th day of Passover which is also the (firstfruits) the first day of the counting of Omer and the 3rd day of unleavened bread consumption? Where the Jews camped at the Red Sea on this day? Did they cross over that day?

And what events took place on the 7th day of unleavened bread?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dfw69

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, Yom HaBikkurim (day of the firstfruits, the day Yeshua raised from the dead) is ALWAYS on a Sunday (unless you want to follow Rabbinic Judaism). The counting of the Omer starts there and ends on Shavuot (Pentecost) that is also ALWAYS on a Sunday. Leviticus 23:15–16

I understand a sabbath is the day of rest in which the holy day falls on the calendar.... is there a calendar in which Firstfruits always falls after the sabbath?

If the 7th day of Passover is a sabbath then that means the 8th day is firstfruits which is the 4th day of unleavened bread?

What events took place during the exodus on this day?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok so before sunset is when lambs are slain ...sunset would be Nissan 15 ... they ate unleavened bread during the Passover meal ... in which the angel of death at midnight passed over each house with blood on post

At what time on Nissan 15 was the commandment given to leave Egypt?
We are not told. Sometime between midnight and dawn.

And what events took place on the 7 th day of Passover which is also the (firstfruits) the first day of the counting of Omer and the 3rd day of unleavened bread consumption?
The 7th day of Passover is the 7th day of the FOUB. Firsfruits is not on the 7th day of Passover. The Pharisees believed firstfruits was on Abib 16. The Sadducees believed it was always on a Sunday during the FOUB.

Where the Jews camped at the Red Sea on this day? Did they cross over that day?
No.

And what events took place on the 7th day of unleavened bread?
It is not clear, but I believe they came to Marah on the last day of the FOUB. The next day they came to Elim.

Numbers 33:9 And they removed from Marah, and came unto Elim: and in Elim were twelve fountains of water, and threescore and ten palm trees; and they pitched there.
Elim seems to be a picture of the blessings of the Millennial Kingdom.

Upvote 0

dfw69

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not told. Sometime between midnight and dawn.

The 7th day of Passover is the 7th day of the FOUB. Firsfruits is not on the 7th day of Passover. The Pharisees believed firstfruits was on Abib 16. The Sadducees believed it was always on a Sunday during the FOUB.

No.

It is not clear, but I believe they came to Marah on the last day of the FOUB. The next day they came to Elim.

Numbers 33:9 And they removed from Marah, and came unto Elim: and in Elim were twelve fountains of water, and threescore and ten palm trees; and they pitched there.
Elim seems to be a picture of the blessings of the Millennial Kingdom.

what day was it when they were camp by the sea and the Egyptians appeared?

And what day did they cross over?

Upvote 0