• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Paranoid Schizophrenia and Christianity

rapturesc

Jun 17, 2014
✟7,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,
I developed Schizophrenia about 25ish years ago. I am glad to say that even though I still have the remnants of symptoms, my relationship with Jesus remains intact. I am on med's and my relationship with Jesus has never been better. The one problem I do have is with groups of people. I can handle being around a few people, but I get a little overwhelmed when there are larger numbers of people. I don't know whether you would call this a "thorn in the flesh" as Paul experienced, but I know God's love and I love god despite my symptoms.

The topic of mental health is a difficult one, with regard to how the members of a particular church view it. Some people put it down to demon possession or a particular sin that has been committed, but speaking as a sufferer for many years, I have no doubt that most mental health issues are caused by a dis-function of the brain, and therefore medication is useful in controlling symptoms.

rapture

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually found that medication for me was the worst thing to be on, it caused me so may side effects that I could barely function normally. I would violently shake given the smallest fear or nervous increase , to the point I would drop things, and twist uncontrollably. I even had facial aneurisms (stroke like symptoms). My medication was reduced and reduced, to the point it would statistically do little other than give me good sleep. Then all the panic symptoms went away, and I stopped shaking. No matter how much medication I was on made no difference to the level of voices being heard.

I also believe 100% that voices are demonic in origin, only through faith was I able to overcome voices. One thing that many Christians misunderstand however is that hearing voices is not a sign of demonic possession. It is my opinion that it is quite normal for Christians to hear a voice or two. Only the misinformed think that it is possession. Possession is where a person 100% looses control of their behavior. Even then it is not always possession, demons often attack people giving signs like possession. In fact I have never yet met a person possessed by a demon.

Upvote 0

rapturesc

Jun 17, 2014
✟7,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe voices are demonic in origin, I believe that they are a sign that the brain has gone wrong. I guess if illness has its origins with demons, then it could be said that they are demonic in origin.
Some people are healed of Schizophrenia and some people get better with time.
I agree prayer helps and sometimes tablets are necessary to bring the symptoms under control. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the medication you were on, but mostly it helps people. You could say that the medications people take for cancer shouldn't be taken, because of there side affects, but no one would say this because usually the benefits outweigh the cost. And so it is with psych meds. Mainly people benefit from them.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I don't know that you've really created your response wisely (not accusing you, _____ just saying " "). You are obviously aware, firstly of how the medication has affected you, and secondly where your weaknesses remain, which is (initially _____) wise, but if I am reading it correctly, you then move on to generalizations about mental health, that may or may not mean anything to you or anyone else - which if you had faith (at least, a little _____ _____) you would try to refrain from (you didn't say much, two paragraphs, maybe you are just testing the spirits by testing others (still not a good idea _____) ).

But then, there is quite a problem understanding where to go from the initial label of madness, isn't there? Or the diagnosis, even? If indeed you agree or not (to date, they haven't cared _____ about mine, in Australia _____ as psychiatrists _____) I suppose the wise thing to do, is assume that Jesus has more faith, than you have faith, having faith (because you were mad (not are " " " " _____) - which actually, if you think about it, He had faith to do (_____ _____). Not to say you are crazy if you don't do this, but just speaking as an observer of mental health institutions, not even the nurses want you to elaborate at length, on what madness, the hospital, the medication, the doctors or the law (give or take rejection _____ _____ ____) puts you through. That's just a fact (physicianally speaking _____ " " " " " " _____).

I don't know how things will pan out for you in the coming days, weeks, months - but keep Church attendance up, and you are at least in the right place, at the right time (for Jesus).

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟30,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also benefit from psych meds; I literally can't function cognizantly without them. However, while they do help me better control my thoughts and behaviors, I really wasn't completely *stable* emotionally until I began a relationship with Christ later in life. It's a half-and-half deal: mental illness is a medical condition and needs medicine to treat the physical aspects of the brain, but only Jesus has fulfilled the emotional and spiritual elements which provide me with a stable equilibrium.

Upvote 0

rapturesc

Jun 17, 2014
✟7,668.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know how things will pan out for you in the coming days, weeks, months - but keep Church attendance up, and you are at least in the right place, at the right time (for Jesus).

I'll try to keep going to church, although I'll probably end up crying my eyes out every time.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi there,
I developed Schizophrenia about 25ish years ago. I am glad to say that even though I still have the remnants of symptoms, my relationship with Jesus remains intact. I am on med's and my relationship with Jesus has never been better. The one problem I do have is with groups of people. I can handle being around a few people, but I get a little overwhelmed when there are larger numbers of people. I don't know whether you would call this a "thorn in the flesh" as Paul experienced, but I know God's love and I love god despite my symptoms.

The topic of mental health is a difficult one, with regard to how the members of a particular church view it. Some people put it down to demon possession or a particular sin that has been committed, but speaking as a sufferer for many years, I have no doubt that most mental health issues are caused by a dis-function of the brain, and therefore medication is useful in controlling symptoms.

rapture
I think that is a great point and I wonder if medication is a good way to determine if one has chemical disruption in the brain or if something else is going on say with someone who doesn't respond as well with the meds. I certainly don't think it's fair for someone to automatically assume ones condition is the result of something they did...like punishment or something. That is just wrong.

Reactions: rapturesc
Upvote 0

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
To the OP, I know how you feel about large groups of people. I feel the exact same way. I have autism also stemming from my schizoaffective disorder. I think you are on the right path of taking medications and having a relationship with God. I do believe that our disorder is caused by an dysfunction of the brain and that medication is helpful in controlling our symptoms. I was without medication for awhile and had to be hospitalized 4 times. I finally concluded that I needed to take my medications or else be hospitalized for life. I have been taking my medications for almost three years and have not returned to the hospital since. I also do believe that God has a heart for those who are weak. He has taken care of me when I was not on medications and became homeless and had no job. He was always there for me. I could have been killed when I was on the streets. Afterwards, I went to the local Rescue Mission and was given shelter and food. However, they had a policy of allowing the homeless to stay for only a certain period of days- five days and that was it. I decided even though I was ragingly psychotic to return home to family on the suggestion of a Rescue Mission counselor. It saved my life. The Rescue Mission was a God-send for me. They may force the people who seek shelter to attend sermons by local pastors, but I am grateful for this. They fed me body and soul. God is good to me. I feel blessed. Yes, we both have thorn in our sides, but we are managing and overcoming our weaknesses with the grace of God above.

God bless you too!
Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0