✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Mat 24:32

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Mat 24:33

So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Mat 24:34

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Verses 33-34 is absolutely key and telling!

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Kind of Jews that continue till the end, or the Jews at that generation? :confused:

Old Jack

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Kind of Jews that continue till the end, or the Jews at that generation? :confused:

Old Jack

It is better explained in Luke 21:

Luke 21:8-26

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:

For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

In your patience possess ye your souls.

And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It is better explained in Luke 21:

Luke 21:8-26

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:

For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

In your patience possess ye your souls.

And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

I think Lk.21:32, "this generation" = Matt.24:32, "this generation" thus that generation at that time or all future generations? :confused:

Old Jack

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Lk.21:32, "this generation" = Matt.24:32, "this generation" thus that generation at that time or all future generations? :confused:

Old Jack

From Christ's death to 70AD, is a generation.

In fact a lot of people who were living the day Christ died, would still be living in 70AD.

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
From Christ's death to 70AD, is a generation.

In fact a lot of people who were living the day Christ died, would still be living in 70AD.

The succession of signs through the ages while this kind of men continue till today. :idea: Ie, not just that generation for sure. :confused:

Old Jack

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The succession of signs through the ages while this kind of men continue till today. :idea: Ie, not just that generation for sure. :confused:

Old Jack

For more proper context:

In Mark 9:1, what did Jesus mean when He said that those standing here will not taste death until they've seen the kingdom of God come with power?

Was he referring to the Second Coming? No!

He was speaking of Pentecost after Jesus has ascended to His throne. Acts 1:8, 2:17!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
For more proper context:

In Mark 9:1, what did Jesus mean when He said that those standing here will not taste death until they've seen the kingdom of God come with power?

He was speaking of Pentecost after Jesus has ascended to His throne. Acts 1:8, 2:17!

Mk.9:1 Was He referring to the Parousia, including preliminary judgments in particular that visited upon the Jews 70 A.D.? Yes! :idea:

Old Jack

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Mk.9:1 Was He referring to the Parousia, including preliminary judgments in particular that visited upon the Jews 70 A.D.? Yes! :idea:

Old Jack

No I believe Jesus was speaking of Pentecost the key to my defense is the mutual use of the word of "power" in Mark 9:1 & Acts 1:8, then go on to read Acts 2:17 and the fact the Apostles could heal the sick and cast out demons, etc.

Upvote 0

peterlindner

returning from journey
Mar 1, 2013
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
14 generations
14 generations
14 generations

If you count you may find a "discrepancy" off by one for a total of 41

Or you ask why did Jesus get one short of the maximum of lashings?
A 3 braided rope of 14 lashes=42.
One less is 39 or 41.

41x360=14,760 There are 1,476 days in 4 lunar years. Leviticus 19:25 says you can eat the fruit after 4 years!

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
14 generations
14 generations
14 generations

If you count you may find a "discrepancy" off by one for a total of 41

Or you ask why did Jesus get one short of the maximum of lashings?
A 3 braided rope of 14 lashes=42.
One less is 39 or 41.

41x360=14,760 There are 1,476 days in 4 lunar years. Leviticus 19:25 says you can eat the fruit after 4 years!

Matt.1:1, etc. where Matthew himself made the second group of ancestors number 14 by dropping three kings of Israel. He very likely secured the number 14 in the third group in the same way. Ie, a little more than "1" discrepancy? :confused:

Old Jack

Hey, you care where most could care less, ie, great! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
No I believe Jesus was speaking of Pentecost the key to my defense is the mutual use of the word of "power" in Mark 9:1 & Acts 1:8, then go on to read Acts 2:17 and the fact the Apostles could heal the sick and cast out demons, etc.

Mk.9:1, etc. The ordinary workings of the Kingdom of God are invisable of course, but in this judgment upon the Jews (70 A.D.) the royal rule of Jesus "in power" would actually be seen as fulfilling what He now tells His hearers. :idea:

Jesus thus used the word concerning His Coming once and again (Matt.10:23; 16:28) so as to combine the preparatory beginning of the end (Matt.24:8, 32, etc.; Lk.21:28, 31), after the manner of prophetic speech with the supreme point of the final events, His Parousia. :o

Acts1:8, "you shall receive power" as though being witnesses in the sense of IJn.1:1, and thus testify? :confused:

Old weak Jack, ie, old age and lots of mileage on the ol' engine.

Also appreciate you caring. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Matt.1:1, etc. where Matthew himself made the second group of ancestors number 14 by dropping three kings of Israel. He very likely secured the number 14 in the third group in the same way. Ie, a little more than "1" discrepancy? :confused:

Old Jack

Hey, you care where most could care less, ie, great! :thumbsup:

I jump in here with something I've read, but didn't study with great detail...perhaps I will later...but take a look at this site:

Bible Genealogy

Just something I've look at...which I intend to go deeper into at a later time.

"Iron sharpens iron"...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

random person said in post 4:

Indeed, for verses 33-34 refer to the fulfillment of "all these things", all the events of the tribulation and Jesus' 2nd coming and the gathering together (rapture) of the church "immediately after" the tribulation (Matthew 24:29-31; cf. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8; 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17, Revelation 19:2 to 20:6), which events Jesus had just finished describing in Matthew 24:2-31, and which he would later show in great detail in Revelation chapters 6 to 19. Matthew 24:34 didn't mean the tribulation, 2nd coming and rapture would be fulfilled during the temporal generation alive at the time of Jesus' first coming, for none of those things was fulfilled during that temporal generation.

Instead, Matthew 24:34 could mean the temporal generation which would see the 1948 AD reestablishment of Israel, which could be symbolized by the rebudding of the fig tree (Matthew 24:32-34, Hosea 9:10, Joel 1:6-7, Luke 13:6-9, Matthew 21:19,43), won't pass, i.e. won't die off completely, until the future tribulation and 2nd coming of Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 6 to 19 are fulfilled. A temporal generation may not pass until 70 or 80 years (Psalms 90:10), or 120 years (Genesis 6:3).

This doesn't require the 2nd coming will occur right before, like one year before, that generation will pass: i.e. 69, or 79, or 119 years after 1948: in 2017, 2027, or 2067. And if the tribulation which will immediately precede the 2nd coming and rapture (Matthew 24:29-31; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8, Revelation 19:7 to 20:6) will last 7 years (Daniel 9:27), the tribulation's first year didn't have to be in 2011 and won't have to be in 2021 or 2061 but could be in a future year (e.g. 2020) earlier than 2021.

Matthew 24:34 could also include the meaning that the figurative, all-times generation of the elect (Matthew 24:22, Luke 16:8b, Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4) won't pass away from the earth during the future tribulation of Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 6 to 18, but that some of the elect will survive (Matthew 24:22) until Jesus' 2nd coming (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17; 1 Corinthians 15:21-23,51-53) immediately after the tribulation of Matthew 24 and Revelation chapters 6 to 18 (Matthew 24:29-31; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8, Revelation 19:7 to 20:6).

--

The rebudding of the fig tree (Matthew 24:32) can refer to the 1948 reestablishment of Israel, just as Jesus' cursing of the fig tree (Matthew 21:19) was symbolic of his curse on unbelieving, Old Covenant Israel (Matthew 21:43). The Israel that was reestablished in 1948 is the same Old Covenant Israel that Jesus cursed at his first coming. For it still rejects Jesus and still considers itself to be under the Old Covenant. This Israel merely "putting forth leaves" again (Matthew 24:32) in 1948 was nothing more than a restoration to what the fig tree in Matthew 21:19,43 had been before it was cursed forever by Jesus and then destroyed in 70 AD: a tree with leaves, but without any fruit. And the unbelieving, Old Covenant Israel that was reestablished in 1948 may never bear fruit. For it could be destroyed before Jesus' 2nd coming, during a future war, by a Baathist army, just as it had been destroyed in 70 AD by a Roman-empire army.

random person said in post 10:

For more proper context:

That's right, for Mark 9:1, Matthew 16:28 and Luke 9:27 were fulfilled at the subsequent transfiguration (Mark 9:1-9, Matthew 16:28 to 17:9, Luke 9:27-36; 2 Peter 1:16-18).

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Mk.9:1, etc. The ordinary workings of the Kingdom of God are invisable of course, but in this judgment upon the Jews (70 A.D.) the royal rule of Jesus "in power" would actually be seen as fulfilling what He now tells His hearers. :idea:

Jesus thus used the word concerning His Coming once and again (Matt.10:23; 16:28) so as to combine the preparatory beginning of the end (Matt.24:8, 32, etc.; Lk.21:28, 31), after the manner of prophetic speech with the supreme point of the final events, His Parousia. :o

Acts1:8, "you shall receive power" as though being witnesses in the sense of IJn.1:1, and thus testify? :confused:

Old weak Jack, ie, old age and lots of mileage on the ol' engine.

Also appreciate you caring. :thumbsup:

Well the power is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Remember under the Old Covenant only Kings, Priests, and Prophets were anointed by the Holy Spirit. But under the New Covenant everyone in Christ receives the Holy Spirit.

This is the Kingdom of God coming in power for the Kingdom of God is within us and our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 3:2,5

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I jump in here with something I've read, but didn't study with great detail...perhaps I will later...but take a look at this site:

Bible Genealogy

Just something I've look at...which I intend to go deeper into at a later time.

"Iron sharpens iron"...:thumbsup:

Looked at, and helped me get up to speed, ie, also recalled going round and round with others long ago regarding Lk.3:23 resulting in my rendering: "...being a son (as was supposed of Joseph) of Heli,..."

Thank you again,

Old Jack still trying to get the lead out of the iron so our Lord can lead us.

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟10,797.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well the power is the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Remember under the Old Covenant only Kings, Priests, and Prophets were anointed by the Holy Spirit. But under the New Covenant everyone in Christ receives the Holy Spirit.

This is the Kingdom of God coming in power for the Kingdom of God is within us and our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 3:2,5

Only a head's up. The Holy Ghost wrought all spiritual effects throughout the O.T., so He wrought not only in John the Baptist's preaching, but in all the gospel preaching until the day of Pentecost, correct/

Old Jack

Upvote 0