Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Pa. Student Suspended For Wearing Santa Suit - Irresistible Headlines News Story - WHIO Dayton

Michael Hance says he told his principal that he planned to wear the suit to Strath Haven High School in Wallingford and hand out candy canes. The 18-year-old senior says the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction. But he wore the suit anyway, with regular clothes underneath.

This one sounds reasonable.

The principle said no.
The student did it any way,
suspension.
I am sure the student only saw the Santa suit as the offense, but when the Principle said no, that made another rule broken.
IMO several days of detention is better then one day off.
Never understood, how its a punishment to make a kid stay home???
You did wrong. So your punishment is you will stay home in your nice warm bed and not come to school for one day, and do what ever you want while you are being punished.
if that is punishment, Chain me to the wall.

He's a senior, hoepfully he didn't ruin a chance to go to a great college.

Simple comprimise:
Allow the student to wear the costume only during lunch, and can not go near any class rooms.(ie hand out cc to people at lunch.)

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction,Never seen the word No,So don't see why he got suspended.I really don't see any reason the principle would even care,Unless it was proven to be a distraction.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I read the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction,Never seen the word No,So don't see why he got suspended.I really don't see any reason the principle would even care,Unless it was proven to be a distraction.

High school senior running around school in a Santa suit not a distraction? Common sense would say otherwise.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think the Principal overreacted, even if he did explicitly say "no" (which it appears he never actually said in the articles I've seen). I see something more along the line of sending the kid home to change and any classes he misses are unexcused with possibly some type of detention as more appropriate for the "crime".

Essentially this was a dress code violation and should be treated as such -- and any dress code violation would seem to be just as much not respecting the school's authority.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Pa. Student Suspended For Wearing Santa Suit - Irresistible Headlines News Story - WHIO Dayton

This one sounds reasonable.

The principle said no.
The student did it any way,
suspension.
I am sure the student only saw the Santa suit as the offense, but when the Principle said no, that made another rule broken.
IMO several days of detention is better then one day off.
Never understood, how its a punishment to make a kid stay home???
You did wrong. So your punishment is you will stay home in your nice warm bed and not come to school for one day, and do what ever you want while you are being punished.
if that is punishment, Chain me to the wall.

He's a senior, hoepfully he didn't ruin a chance to go to a great college.

Simple comprimise:
Allow the student to wear the costume only during lunch, and can not go near any class rooms.(ie hand out cc to people at lunch.)

From the bit of it I read:

Principal said no to: Wearing Santa Suit AND handing out candy canes.
So, he choose to: Wear Santa Suit.

It seems like he did not defy the principal. Also, it seems like the principal said it sounded like a bad idea. A bad idea is a far shot from a prohibition. Since it is firework season, I can think of a number of bad ideas which are not prohibited.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
High school senior running around school in a Santa suit not a distraction? Common sense would say otherwise.
Probably not much more than usual,For that time of year.Anyways I don't think being suspended for the rest of the days,Is a big deal,Also I don't think,It's a big deal about the Santa costume,So no big deal to me eitherway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is so discouraging to see so many people working in education who don't have any sense of humor.

Are there rules banning red pants and jackets at school? Are students not allowed to share candy at this school?

When asked, the principal did not say "If you do that, I'll have to send you home." he said he didn't think it was a god idea. Not exactly the same thing. Certainly not near clear enough for a high school student.

Or, the principal could simply have asked the student to remove the costume if he thought this was a dress code infraction. Or he could have waited to see if the costume and candy were a distraction from all the important work gong on in school that last day before vacation - y'all remember how much work was done on those days?

As a former high school teacher, I see this as a bit of whimsy that can easily be managed.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is so discouraging to see so many people working in education who don't have any sense of humor.

Are there rules banning red pants and jackets at school? Are students not allowed to share candy at this school?

When asked, the principal did not say "If you do that, I'll have to send you home." he said he didn't think it was a god idea. Not exactly the same thing. Certainly not near clear enough for a high school student.

Or, the principal could simply have asked the student to remove the costume if he thought this was a dress code infraction. Or he could have waited to see if the costume and candy were a distraction from all the important work gong on in school that last day before vacation - y'all remember how much work was done on those days?

As a former high school teacher, I see this as a bit of whimsy that can easily be managed.
Bingo.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Would it make a difference if, instead of wearing a Santa suit, the kid had wanted to wear a cross pendant?
this isn't a good comparison. Comparison would be come to school dressed like Jesus or the pope.
A cross pendant is not a distraction...well unless it is 3ft tall.

Lets turn it into the work place. Mr Senior decides to dress up as santa, and pass out candy canes. Boss says "not a good idea." what punishment would the boss give Mr Senior if he dresses as he said he would?

Kids today, have to think for themselves. Seniors should know by then, that when someone says not a good idea, means don't do it.
Because the boss at work, won't give someone a definate "no", but will fire the person if they do something they said wasn't "a good idea."
Ecspecially, if higher ups jump on the boss for "allowing it".

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
this isn't a good comparison. Comparison would be come to school dressed like Jesus or the pope.

Lets turn it into the work place. Mr Senior decides to dress up as santa, and pass out candy canes. Boss says "not a good idea." what punishment would the boss give Mr Senior if he dresses as he said he would?

Kids today, have to think for themselves. Seniors should know by then, that when someone says not a good idea, means don't do it.
Because the boss at work, won't give someone a definate "no", but will fire the person if they do something they said wasn't "a good idea."

Actually a Crucifix is used as a gang sign in many areas and this has resulted in large (no where near 3 feet, more like 6") being banned at many inner city schools.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, because the boss is saying "not a good idea" to adults who volunterly work under him, not a minor who is required by law to be at school. Why is it so difficult for the principal (the adult) to clearly speak his mind?

Upvote 0