Overturn of burkini ban

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Paris, France, Aug 29, 2016 / 11:10 am (CNA).- The lifting of a controversial burkini ban in one beach town along the French Riviera may signal an end to similar policies in the country - but it has not put an end to cultural tensions surrounding it.

The Council of State, France’s highest administrative court, ruled that the burkini ban in the town of Villeneuve-Loubet “seriously and clearly illegally breached fundamental freedoms,” including freedom of belief.

A burkini (also spelled burqini) is a type of full-body swimwear that some Muslim women wear in order to cover their arms, legs and hair. Citing concerns over terrorism and overt displays of religious affiliation, several coastal towns in France have issued bans against such swimwear in the past few weeks. The policies cite the French Republic’s concept of laïcité (roughly, secularism), saying that women need to dress for the beach in a way that respects “good morals and secularism.”

Link: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...n-does-not-end-frances-cultural-debate-48374/

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
The Burqini ban was fairly transparent political point scoring.
Banning it helped no one. But perhaps made those who feel uncomfortable when they can easily see Muslims, or hoped such a ban would reduce the number of Muslims at beaches, feel a little better.
Personally, I don't think such people need, nor should, have their phobias pandered to. For political gain or otherwise.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
how come Muslims are not expected to integrate into the society at all?

in what serious way are they expected to become French?

if people are not interested in being French, maybe they should not live in France?

if you want to wear a "berkini" I am sure Lebanon would be a lovely place to move to

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
how come Muslims are not expected to integrate into the society at all?

in what serious way are they expected to become French?

if people are not interested in being French, maybe they should not live in France?

if you want to wear a "berkini" I am sure Lebanon would be a lovely place to move to

American women used to value modesty at the beach too. It's too bad the the response to Muslim women who still do value modesty is that they should become immodest or leave the country.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
American women used to value modesty at the beach too. It's too bad the the response to Muslim women who still do value modesty is that they should become immodest or leave the country.

I was talking about France not the USA

modesty is good
taking up Islamic customs is bad

if you want a return to modesty, you should press for a return to Christian morals
Islamic morals has stuff like honor killings of people who leave Islam, this is NOT something we should encourage

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I was talking about France not the USA

modesty is good
taking up Islamic customs is bad

if you want a return to modesty, you should press for a return to Christian morals
Islamic morals has stuff like honor killings of people who leave Islam, this is NOT something we should encourage
What's the functional difference between modest Islamic swimwear and modest Christian swimwear? What specifically is problematic, the long sleeves, covering the legs, etc? Would it be immoral to wear a burquini for sun protection or warmth?

I'm no expert, but those I've talked to say that honor killings are more associated with certain cultures than religions.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have mixed thoughts on this. I think modesty is good, and the bikini is bad because it's very immodest and encourages men to have lustful thoughts. On the other hand, the burka (or in this case a "burkini") represents an oppressive, anti-Christian religion that inspires many to be terrorists. But it seems to me that trying to ban the "burkini" isn't a battle worth fighting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What's the functional difference between modest Islamic swimwear and modest Christian swimwear? What specifically is problematic, the long sleeves, covering the legs, etc? Would it be immoral to wear a burquini for sun protection or warmth?

I'm no expert, but those I've talked to say that honor killings are more associated with certain cultures than religions.

there may be tribal areas of Africa where honor killings may happen among some non-Muslim communities?
I am not saying it happens, I am not saying it does not happen

but those places are relatively primitive even to this day

I am talking about countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Morocco
places that are fairly modern..... EXCEPT for stuff like how they treat women, polygamy, honor killing,
stuff like that

the big difference is probably the covered head part
but like I said
it is part of a system that is bigger and more dangerous
like, there is nothing wrong with wearing an arm band with a silly little bent cross on it
that in and of itself is not bad, it is just a decoration
but it shows devotion to the Nazi party that has done horrible stuff

so yes, while the "berkini" is not bad, just like an arm band is not bad
but the ideology behind both is barbaric, violent, and should be discouraged

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Very glad to hear it. I was disgusted by a picture of a grandmother having to take off some of her clothing (to avoid the fine) under supervision of a male cop. To those who don't see the problem, imagine a local Catholic nun who wants to remain modest at the beach being fined or ordered to take off some clothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Nothing against modesty but these burkini outfits look more like snorkel gear and in the water they might look like a seal. Pretty enticing to sharks.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
So simple question then, is it reasonable to force people to wear revealing clothing if they want to enjoy the beach? Should the law stand?
That's the thing though. It was never an issue of revealing vs concealing clothing. I'm unaware of the wording of the laws passed, nor all it's justification(s), but to my knowledge it specifically applied to the burqini in relation to Islamic extremism(I guess they think it indicates extremism?).

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Let me get this straight:

1 - They have basically no border patrol/control
2 - They let hoards of refugees pour over the borders
3 - They're upset because a surge of Muslims aren't suddenly "acting French" on the beach

Brilliant France, just brilliant.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0