• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Out of hospital...

rtodd5011

Member since 2012
May 5, 2012
Arkansas
Visit site
✟24,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I got out of inpatient hospital Wednesday afternoon. My wife and I have patched things up, and will stay together. She came to see me in the hospital. I feel very sober and some sadness, I just dont feel like myself. The doctor put me on Effexor. Hopefully I will cheer up and back to my old self, it is just going to take some time and take small steps. I would appreciate any words of encouragement.

Richard

Last edited:

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi rtodd. I'm kind of new to schizophrenia, or should I say I've had it for 5 years now, but still have trouble with denial, despite staying on my medicine for the past two years. Being in the inpatient program really helps, but just when you get out of the hospital, it starts getting hard as you settle back down into reality, perhaps one that is newer to you than the one you thought was real when you left for the hospital in the first place. I'm so glad you patched things up with your wife. Life is hard, but at least you have a home to go home to and someone you love that loves you too.

Upvote 0

Star Adept

Feb 8, 2015
✟541.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome home, Richard!

I'm glad to hear you and your wife are doing well, I know that was a big point of contention among all that you were dealing with.

I wish you luck with the meds. Antidepressants never did anything for me because I was simply intolerant of my condition and not emotionally sad about it. Just know that there are other things out there than antidepressants and if they are not working for you, keep your doctor up-to-date. Orangeness has the right idea, you have a support system at home with your wife.

I had to get used to a whole new kind of life, one I had not known for 20 years, if ever. It was very jarring at first but it evens out after a while. I think it took a good 4-5 months to adjust and I'm still not sure I'm fully adjusted 7 months later. I can't say I want to go back though and that keeps me moving forward through the adjustments. I confide in my doctor several times between appointments and it is so helpful to have something like that.

I've been told several times by several doctors that I've had one of the most severe cases of schizophrenia they've ever seen, borderline dementia. The meds help but I honestly believe the power to change comes from inside and I promise you if I can do it, you can too. In fact, I've seen you do it.

Keep strong, Richard, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Beyond your doctor and your wife, I always offer myself for support.

Upvote 0