Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The humanitarian crisis in Africa is one that we all hold responsibility for. Poverty, hunger and AIDs are the death sentences hanging over these peoples heads and they are being crippled under this burden. One doesn't need to be a billionaire to help-- for example, did you know that there is treatment that can prevent the transmission of the AIDS virus from pregnant women to their babies that costs only $12?! or you merely lend your voice in aiding the cause--These fellow brothers and sisters are dying and suffering needlessly and it is our call as to minister to the least, the last and the lost. I believe in the statement that the 21st century will be remembered for what it did or didn't do with Africa. Please prayfully consider signing this petition at www.theonecampaign.org The petition allows Americans to show our leaders that we want to do more to respond to this crisis. God bless!

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
It's pretty sad when on CF, with boku members, you can get far more responses to a question about the relative sinfulness of dating a non-christian, with raging controversy. Yet something as important a part of the good news as social justice is, gets very little interest.

A sad reflection on where contemporary christian culture is at?

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
rainbowprism said:
The humanitarian crisis in Africa is one that we all hold responsibility for. Poverty, hunger and AIDs are the death sentences hanging over these peoples heads and they are being crippled under this burden. One doesn't need to be a billionaire to help-- for example, did you know that there is treatment that can prevent the transmission of the AIDS virus from pregnant women to their babies that costs only $12?! or you merely lend your voice in aiding the cause--These fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are dying and suffering needlessly and it is our call as Christians to minister to the least, the last and the lost. I believe that the 21st century will be remembered for what it did or didn't do with Africa. Please prayfully consider signing this petition at www.theonecampaign.org The petition allows Americans to show our leaders that we want to do more to respond to this crisis. God bless!
Don't sign this. It is sponsored by groups you should NOT support. I looked up the websites linked from this one and found that groups like the United Church of Christ helped start it. That group tolerates many things actually called sin by the Bible. Many liberals have never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

There are many excellent Bible-based Christian ministries helping the poor and helping fight AIDS in Africa. Support for Focus on the Family or The 700 Club or the National Association of Evangelicals relief funds are good starting places. You can usually tell something is very very wrong with a supposedly "Christian" ministry that has an opening statement on its website like this:
ONE will be promoted with the help of a diverse coalition of faith-based and antipoverty groups, celebrity spokespeople as well as corporate partnerships and local ONE Campaign organizers.
God is NOT interested in diversity. He is interested in unity... based upon the truth of the Bible. Don't trust groups that put diversity above purity and above the Bible.

Lastly there is already a 100% effective preventative measure for AIDS prevention. It has been tried with great success in Uganda. It is the Bible's solution called abstinance! It works every time. In Uganda the abstinance-based plan is so successful that it reduced the new cases of HIV infections by a whopping 80%!

Please I urge you in the Precious Name of Jesus Christ, do not allow yourself to be taken in by liberal or other groups like this one. If you are a Bible-believing Christian, you don't belong in the ONE campaign.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know what? Yeah, abstinence is the number one way to prevent AIDS but I don't believe that the right to be TREATED for AIDS is a privilege that depends on your geography and/or economic status.

And for the record, when it says diverse coalition, it is meaning that it is drawing from multiple sources TO BE unified. Little thing called reading comprehension.

If you don't want to sign it then don't...but I feel fellow members can discern for themselves whether or not they want to. It's pretty frustrating when one is actually trying to do something postive rather than arguing about "the sinfullness of dating a non-christian" on here.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
rainbowprism said:
You know what? Yeah, abstinence is the number one way to prevent AIDS but I don't believe that the right to be TREATED for AIDS is a privilege that depends on your geography and/or economic status.

And for the record, when it says diverse coalition, it is meaning that it is drawing from multiple sources TO BE unified. Little thing called reading comprehension.

If you don't want to sign it then don't...but I feel fellow members can discern for themselves whether or not they want to. It's pretty frustrating when one is actually trying to do something postive rather than arguing about "the sinfullness of dating a non-christian" on here.
You might want to try a little reading comprehension yourself. I never said anything about not dating non-Christians in this particular thread. This thread is about a bogus (in my sincere opinon) group that has no strong commitment to God's Word, the Bible. Christians should avoid groups like that like the plague. If your church does not teach the Bible as the Word of God and as the authority for doctrine and faith and lifestyle, then get out and join a Bible-believing church.

As for AIDS treatment, there is none really. We can keep people alive a few years longer, but most still die young even in the USA. Did you know that the average age of the active homosexual in the USA is about 42 years! Few people know that. That is because the so-called AIDS miracle cures are so much smoke and mirrors. They give false hope. The best way to solve the AIDS crisis is the Bible's way: abstinance from sex outside of marriage.

Please I urge you in the Precious Name of Jesus Christ, do not allow yourself to be taken in by liberal or other groups like this one. If you are a Bible-believing Christian, you don't belong in the ONE campaign.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sharp said:
You might want to try a little reading comprehension yourself. I never said anything about not dating non-Christians in this particular thread. This thread is about a bogus (in my sincere opinon) group that has no strong commitment to God's Word, the Bible. Christians should avoid groups like that like the plague. If your church does not teach the Bible as the Word of God and as the authority for doctrine and faith and lifestyle, then get out and join a Bible-believing church.

As for AIDS treatment, there is none really. We can keep people alive a few years longer, but most still die young even in the USA. Did you know that the average age of the active homosexual in the USA is about 42 years! Few people know that. That is because the so-called AIDS miracle cures are so much smoke and mirrors. They give false hope. The best way to solve the AIDS crisis is the Bible's way: abstinance from sex outside of marriage.

If you had read any of the posts besides the first you would have understood what I meant when I said the comment about dating non-christians.

There is treatment that can prevent mother to child transmission. The medication isn't expensive and yet many thorughout the globe don't have access to it-and that in my mind is a crime. Secondly, AIDS is not a homosexuals-only disease. Yes, the best way to prevent AIDS is abstinence I agree...doesn't help much though for example the young girls in Africa that are raped by AIDS infected men because of the old-wives-tale that a virgin can cure AIDS and they become preganant. Should that child be born with a death sentence over its head because it was born in the wrong country? This petition is for global poverty and AIDS, because I don't think there is much Christianity in turning our backs on people because their problems might make them unappealing to us.

I am a Bible-believing christian and so is my church...please don't insult my faith.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
rainbowprism said:
If you had read any of the posts besides the first you would have understood what I meant when I said the comment about dating non-christians.

There is treatment that can prevent mother to child transmission. The medication isn't expensive and yet many thorughout the globe don't have access to it-and that in my mind is a crime. Secondly, AIDS is not a homosexuals-only disease. Yes, the best way to prevent AIDS is abstinence I agree...doesn't help much though for example the young girls in Africa that are raped by AIDS infected men because of the old-wives-tale that a virgin can cure AIDS and they become preganant. Should that child be born with a death sentence over its head because it was born in the wrong country? This petition is for global poverty and AIDS, because I don't think there is much Christianity in turning our backs on people because their problems might make them unappealing to us.

I am a Bible-believing christian and so is my church...please don't insult my faith.
Yes, I read all your posts before my first one, so I see what you meant about dating. That doesn't apply to me. I am very engaged and concerned.

Tell me more about the mother child transmission drug. That is wonderful. If it is true, then we don't need the coalition to fund it. Why? Because President Bush asked for a multi-billion dollar AIDS package for helping third world countries. Please tell me more about this drug because I support several worthy Christian conservative medical and humanitarian ministries that could bypass the expensive government overhead and red tape and get the drugs to the mothers much faster and without any taxpayers money and without the risk of corrupt governments stealing the drugs. I do care. I guess we agree there is no other cure for AIDS in adults.

AIDS is still a homosexual desease in America but in Africa for the reasons you mentioned it has spread to some non-homosexuals by rape etc. Don't worry, that too can be fought by abstinance and by law enforcement arresting and punishing rapists. That too is Christian social justice.

Please tell me about the drug for mothers. I am interested. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Sharp said:
Don't sign this. It is sponsored by groups you should NOT support. I looked up the websites linked from this one and found that groups like the United Church of Christ helped start it. That group tolerates many things actually called sin by the Bible. Many liberals have never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Sharp, I repeat, STOP slandering liberal Christians, many do have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

When you keep spreading lies and now show more concern for the beliefs of good Christian folk who are trying to help people in need than you are showing for the people in need, you paint a very dim picture of yourself.

You keep trying to cause division in the body of Christ, Sharp. Please stop it.

Something to consider:
And in many countries the situation of people who are HIV positive is made still worse by stigma - the theme of this year's World AIDS Day. Stigma is born out of prejudice and ignorance: people don't know how HIV is transmitted and fear they might catch it themselves. So they shun - cruelly - those they think are positive. Stigma forces people with HIV to keep quiet about it, and as a result of their silence, and the silence of some churches and governments, who deny that HIV is a problem in their countries, HIV continues to spread at an alarming rate...

...Stigma also has to do with perception. It means failing to recognise in other people our shared humanity. It means failing to see in them the face of Christ himself. Yet this is the great mystery of the incarnation. Jesus loved the world so much that he chose to become one of us. Not one of the affluent middle classes, but someone who knew life as a refugee, who was thrown out of his home town, who had nowhere to lay his head, who was wrongly condemned to death.
Those who have love in their hearts - whom Jesus calls his sheep - will have no truck with stigma. To those whom society rejects they will offer food, clothing, or simply their own company. This World AIDS Day may we follow the example of the sheep and not the goats.

''Lord, when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you? ... The king will answer them, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me"' (Matthew 25. 37-8, 40).
For full article go here:http://www.surefish.co.uk/faith/features/141103_worldaidsday03.htm

Karin

P.S.
AIDS is not spread exclusively by homosexual practices. Many heterosexual people contract AIDS, and many are women and children.

K

Reactions: rainbowprism
Upvote 0

fanatiquefou

you know, for kids!
Jun 19, 2004
Indiana
✟3,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sharp said:
AIDS is still a homosexual desease in America but in Africa for the reasons you mentioned it has spread to some non-homosexuals by rape etc.
This is an absolute lie, and you should know it if you know ANYTHING about the current shape of the AIDS crisis. AIDS is certainly not only a homosexual disease in America - huge numbers of heterosexuals are also suffering from it. HIV and AIDS have NEVER, here or anywhere else, been only a disease of homosexuals. Besides, why should the sexuality of someone suffering from such a horrible disease matter? Are heterosexuals somehow more worthy of our care and attention?

Please, Sharp, if you're only going to cast disparagement on Christians actively seeking to alleviate suffering in the world, then start your own thread and leave this one alone.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
It's easy to be outgraged when a lot of people are killed in our backyard, but so easy to forget that at even more die each day from lack of food, clean water and basic medicine when it's happening far away in another country.

As Christians, who have been commanded to love our neighbour as ourselves, we must not forget those "neighbours" in distant corners of our "world village".

Karin

Reactions: fanatiquefou
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hi Sharp,

That group tolerates many things actually called sin by the Bible. Many liberals have never had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Sorry brother but the 'liberal' Christians that you refer to are quite clearly concerned about the plight of the poor and this was a concern of Jesus and therefore a concern to all of us. That the Trade Justice Movement is a secular concern doesn’t stop Christian organisations like Cafod, Christian Aid and Tearfund supporting its basic aim to see more justice in trade. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Treasure the Questions.

I am indeed thinking about, that Christian Aid message. I fully agree that people being ‘shunned’ is opposite to the message of Christ, Jesus reached out to those that were ‘shunned’ but

and the silence of some churches and governments, who deny that HIV is a problem in their countries.
Which churches actually deny HIV is a problem in their country? Even if one person gets HIV it is a problem full stop, because their life is then in danger, so to me HIV is a problem, but what might constitute a problem as an epidemic is another thing.

Not one of the affluent middle classes, but someone who knew life as a refugee, who was thrown out of his home town, who had nowhere to lay his head
I disagree, y
es including the affluent middle classes as well. Jesus came for all. I am not aware that Jesus only knew life as a refugee, but also as a carpenter. The Jews always required work with ones hands, a trade like carpenter was held in high enough esteem in Jewish custom, it was the Greeks that looked down on this and as a carpenter Jesus would not necessarily have been rich but certainly unlikely to have been poor. Also when was Jesus thrown out of his home town except by their unbelief and rejection of His ministry Matt 13:59.

Those who have love in their hearts - whom Jesus calls his sheep - will have no truck with stigma To those whom society rejects they will offer food, clothing, or simply their own company. This World AIDS Day may we follow the example of the sheep and not the goats.
I agree but I don’t think its just those who have love in their hearts who Jesus calls His sheep. Jesus actually calls His sheep those who know and listen to His voice and who believe in Him for eternal life, something regardless of circumstances. Besides Matt 25 is generally a passage that is difficult to pin down either to whether it is about treatment of the messengers of the gospel, all the poor, or the treatment of Israel. I believe it is the treatment of the former because it involves salvation and salvation isnt anywhere else reliant on works.

So I would say if we cant demonstrate our love for those with AIDS then we aren’t following and obeying Jesus and cant be demonstrating our love for God. This Christian Aid way makes it sounds sentimental like if we have love we have Jesus but IMO its the other way round, if we have Jesus in our hearts we have love bcause God is love.:)

Upvote 0
Surely AIDS is spread in ways such as transfering body fluid. That can be by sexual activity by blood, by accident, by conception. IMO poverty, lack of hygene and education about Aids along with sexual immoraily has helped spread this disease. I suggest most have suffered through no fault of their own, except perhaps in the case of sexual immorality where many well have known.

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
ahab said:
Hi Sharp,

Sorry brother but the 'liberal' Christians that you refer to are quite clearly concerned about the plight of the poor and this was a concern of Jesus and therefore a concern to all of us. That the Trade Justice Movement is a secular concern doesn’t stop Christian organisations like Cafod, Christian Aid and Tearfund supporting its basic aim to see more justice in trade. :)
Hi Ahab, apology accepted.

Even atheists and Satanists can be clearly concerned for the poor. Come to think of it, so was Judas and ceratin non-Christian cults. You see just because a group calls itself Christian doesn't mean it actually is. Jesus said there would be many in the judgement day that call Him Lord and state as proof that they did good works in His Name. What is God the Son's reply to them? "Depart from me, I never knew you."

Christians should NOT sign petitions sponsored by a mixture of good and questionable religious groups. Why not? Because history shows these groups have their own agendas... anti-free speech, anti-evangelism, anti-free enterprise, and anti-democracy. I have seen that for decades.

A far better way to help the poor is to join with only clearly evangelical Bible-believing ministries and reject the influence of those with a low view of the authority of Scripture.

Upvote 0
Hi Sharp,

I support Tearfund financially and identify with them. I dont identify with World Trade Justice except to support their aims which coincide with the gospel and the Kingdom. Thats why I am reluctant to sign and wont be attending the demo, but that doesnt mean that I dont support the help given to those in poverty whoever gives it, because poverty isnt of the Kingdom of God, its just that the world has never been able to sort out its problems by trade or politics.

Upvote 0