Jan 12, 2007
✟134,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting responses... keep them coming!

And for the curious, I am here to learn. I like to discuss theology, it is fun and I could do it all day. Well, maybe not ALL day, but a fairly lengthy span of time. I do not always know what people from various backgrounds and traditions may think or believe with regard to certain issues and topics that are (obviously) related to theology. Call me a learner if you will.

And currently I am trying to learn what motivates people to post in this area. :p

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,373.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I'm here conducting a social science experiment: To see how long an intelligent man will bang his head against the wall until inwardly motivated to stop.

Definitely longer than 4 years.
Your experiment seems to be flawed. It is unlikely that an intelligent man (person, lets not forget our female members) would engage in an illogical activity that would probably result in a head injury that would inevitably result in that person being less intelligent. :doh:

PS... Can you guess why I'm here... lol

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,373.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
But seriously, I'm here for all three...

(1) I'm here to learn.

(2) I'm here for a fight, as one learns much from getting punched out.

(3) I'm here for other. To put my points of view forward for the reactions and comments of others.

I guess the main thing is that one learns whatever their reasons may be for being here.

And yes, I do bang my head on the metaphorical wall now and again!

Upvote 0

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why are you here in GT?

Are you here to learn?

Or

Are you here to fight and/or bash?

Or

Other?

The poll will close in seven days and is being done with out of mine own curiosity and study. I am doing this to see any possible connection between the motives of posters and the amount of civility (or lack thereof).

I voted "Other". My intent is just to share and talk. But I do admit that when unfair allegations are posted about my Church I will also defend.

I never start a fight, but I don't run away from them either

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I voted "Other". My intent is just to share and talk. But I do admit that when unfair allegations are posted about my Church I will also defend.

I never start a fight, but I don't run away from them either
Don't we all........:angel:

1 Peter 3:15 Lord yet the God/*Christ hallow ye! in the hearts of ye, ready yet ever toward a defense to every the one asking ye account/word concerning the in ye hope, with meekness and fear

Textus Rec.) 1 Peter 3:15 kurion de ton qeon agiasate en taiV kardiaiV umwn etoimoi de aei proV apologian panti tw aitounti umaV logon peri thV en umin elpidoV **** meta prauthtoV kai fobou

627. apologia ap-ol-og-ee'-ah from the same as 626; a plea ("apology"):--answer (for self), clearing of self, defence.
626. apologeomai ap-ol-og-eh'-om-ahee middle voice from a compound of 575 and 3056; to give an account (legal plea) of oneself, i.e. exculpate (self):--answer (for self), make defence, excuse (self), speak for self

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Go write a sermon!
Melethiel is only 18, but yes she could write a sermon all of us could learn from.
Myself, I'm 66, so I voted "Other" as I feel I am qualified to teach. However I relate to all the responses of all the posters here, especially about learning (still). I'm ready to fight, as well, but only if it's worth the trouble. I may exit a fight gracefully making the Sign of the Cross.
Korah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm here with similar reasons as CaliforniaJosiah explained in his well-written post. I know and use plenty of academic sources for learning different views. However GT provides the opportunity to interact with "living" sources - real people. This often can lead to knowledge that goes beyond book learning.

LDG

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would say I've learned very few things here compared with the amount of time spent - very poor ROI if I tried to rationalize it that way.

I think I'm here mainly to interact and fellowship in that polemic kind of way that just never seems to happen face to face:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

B1inHim

LOVE one another
Nov 27, 2004
Cucamonga, Ca
✟10,781.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Who is E.C.?

Learning what others have to say about things that in my mind are already set in stone...
IT is amazing how so many people can have so many different understandings pertaining to one single subject.

When I read the Word, I get illumination:idea: to the understanding and wellah. I think that it has alot to do with the way I read the word or receive it. Like a child in expectation and then ... OH this is a poll for what again...?
To share what wonderful things that GOD has given to us and what He has in store for us as well... was that an option?

LOL(LotsOfLove)
Brother Jerry

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why am I in GT Today? Because I dont want to miss anything.
;)
And look what happens when you and I show up.....threads get locked down !! :D

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian