Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My friend is a Lakers fan--HARDCORE, and he seems to think EVERY single game has refs hell-bent on forcing the Lakers to go down the poop shoot.

I always tell him, "uh, 16 championships, bro! Kobe ain't lackin' rings! How did he do it with those cheating refs?" LOL!

If anything, the calls seem to go the Lakers' way!! I remember watching the Sacramento Kings back in the early 2000's getting every bad call while the Lakers were always innocent!

If its any consolation, whenever my hockey team has one of their plays reviewed at the "war room" in Toronto, I cringe. And when they reverse a call they even give insulting explanations. There favorite is that what we all saw on the replay using different angles is just an "optical illusion".

Now in basketball I definately believe that in certain games theres a conspiracy to favor certain cosmopolitan cities.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely, but we believe in fairness, right? I can't imagine a Christian teaching that cheating and corruption is fine as long as it's a game. It's entertainment, the fans deserve a fair game. I see nothing wrong with that.

This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.
This.

... wait for it ...

This.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank YOU! I hate to say this, but there are a LOT of "I just don't like sports" guys in Orthodoxy. I run into them right and left online! Thankfully in "real life" at my parish most guys like football, baseball, basketball, etc. If I went by the internet alone I'd have to say "man up, people!" :p^_^

Football is more than just a game for us diehards. I'd chop my pinky toe off right now for a Packers SB next year.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Thank YOU! I hate to say this, but there are a LOT of "I just don't like sports" guys in Orthodoxy. I run into them right and left online!

It's not about liking or not liking sports, it's about the priority you give them in your life. It's okay to like them and be entertained by them, but you should never dedicate your life to them or become obsessed.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have yet to meet a fan who has dedicated his life to a sport. I know folks who go up to SF for every single home game. They have season tickets. They bond, tailgate, and hang out. It's a social thing and they find it to be fun and exciting. Some people collect baseball cards and know a heck of a lot about their sport. Even the people with painted faces on TV at the stadiums have jobs and lives. It's just their past time. I don't see the big deal? And I'm not a sports junkie by any means. I rarely watch an entire game of much of anything. I'm a Giants fan who watches 4-5 innings of their games or maybe 1-3 sometimes because I'm a husband, dad, teacher, and I'm busy! ^_^

But my original point in this OT thread is just to point out how BAD the officiating was at that game. With a superbowl on the line, I find it upsetting and absurd as well as highly questionable that there were THAT MANY bad calls. It seems suspicious to me.

It's not about liking or not liking sports, it's about the priority you give them in your life. It's okay to like them and be entertained by them, but you should never dedicate your life to them or become obsessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I have yet to meet a fan who has dedicated his life to a sport. I know folks who go up to SF for every single home game. They have season tickets. They bond, tailgate, and hang out. It's a social thing and they find it to be fun and exciting. Some people collect baseball cards and know a heck of a lot about their sport. Even the people with painted faces on TV at the stadiums have jobs and lives. It's just their past time. I don't see the big deal? And I'm not a sports junkie by any means. I rarely watch an entire game of much of anything. I'm a Giants fan who watches 4-5 innings of their games or maybe 1-3 sometimes because I'm a husband, dad, teacher, and I'm busy! ^_^

Okay I should have used a different word besides "dedicating", "obsessing" is probably better.

This video explains my thoughts pretty well, though you'll probably think it's extreme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtLDNo7o_c

from skitguys.com

And just to be clear, I am not saying that football or even sports are the only things that are idolatrous. Certainly, elements of the music industry are idolatrous as well, as an example. However, it seems to me like sports idolatry is the one that many Christians end up getting deceived by because it seems harmless to them. In some cases it may be harmless, but there are plenty of cases where it is not.

But my original point in this OT thread is just to point out how BAD the officiating was at that game.

yeah, sorry about derailing this thread

With a superbowl on the line, I find it upsetting and absurd as well as highly questionable that there were THAT MANY bad calls. It seems suspicious to me.

I find it somewhat upsetting that you find it so upsetting :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While I like many events in the Olympics, I definitely think the entire thing is idolatrous, literally. Not only do they re-enact pagan elements, which was the very reason it was banned back in 395AD, its just one big orgy in the Olympic village for those that worship themselves. While the Olympic committee members are some of the most corrupt leaches you'll ever meet.

I would be able to tolerate soccer if it weren't for soccer fans. Taking such a silly little boys game so seriously is beyond me. Its amazing how countries on the brink of bankruptcy such as Greece and Spain can have players making millions of euros while the common population cheers them on and idolizes them; while they don't even have heat in their homes is a joke.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Football is more than just a game for us diehards. I'd chop my pinky toe off right now for a Packers SB next year.

dunno if I would go that far, but I have told folks that Browns gear would contaminate me.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
While I like many events in the Olympics, I definitely think the entire thing is idolatrous, literally. Not only do they re-enact pagan elements, which was the very reason it was banned back in 395AD, its just one big orgy in the Olympic village for those that worship themselves. While the Olympic committee members are some of the most corrupt leaches you'll ever meet.

I would be able to tolerate soccer if it weren't for soccer fans. Taking such a silly little boys game so seriously is beyond me. Its amazing how countries on the brink of bankruptcy such as Greece and Spain can have players making millions of euros while the common population cheers them on and idolizes them; while they don't even have heat in their homes is a joke.

preach it :preach:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This video explains my thoughts pretty well, though you'll probably think it's extreme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtLDNo7o_c

from skitguys.com

And just to be clear, I am not saying that football or even sports are the only things that are idolatrous. Certainly, elements of the music industry are idolatrous as well, as an example. However, it seems to me like sports idolatry is the one that many Christians end up getting deceived by because it seems harmless to them. In some cases it may be harmless, but there are plenty of cases where it is not.
Good point, as it concerns idolatry and how it can often seem people go a bit far at times when it comes to the love of sports.

Sometimes, you feel like they really may be on the verge of being so angry they want to murder you due to how upset they get over when you didn't value their team - and Jesus in his words comes to mind (Matthew 5 on anger/not calling a brother a fool)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Coming into contact with Dodgers, Raiders, Cowboys, or Lakers gear gives me boils, a rash, and serious diarrhea! LOL
dunno if I would go that far, but I have told folks that Browns gear would contaminate me.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So you're saying that something unfairly done to someone is perfectly fine seeing as how they're well-compensated? Interesting. So I suppose if a billionaire is robbed, boo-hoo, because the guy is rich?

Some would say that people are "whack jobs" for spending time reviewing something unjust, some would say a whack job is a person who has nothing better to do than post in an Orthodox forum spattering their opinions to and fro, right Kristos? "Whack job" is a pretty relative term one can apply to people have a hobby we don't share. I'm not into skating, but I don't consider skaters whack jobs. I don't collect stamps, but stamp-collectors aren't lunatics. I think a person who has an attention to detail and knows the rules of the sport like that are intelligent. You or I would watch that game and not pick up on it. I only picked up on 4 major flops in that game and yet there are WAY more than that! How we spend our time in hobbies is out own choice, and differences regarding that doesn't make us idiots.

You don't like sports. I get it. Don't post on my thread then. My post is for people that give a crud about the game. You don't like it, then do what I do on the threads that I don't find interesting....I stay off of them!

And P.S. the video wasn't meant to "inspire," but rather to demonstrate a barrage of seemingly endless bad officiating. If you're ok with bad officiating, paying refs to make bad calls that seem arbitrary at best, deliberate cheating at worst, then I don't know what to say....

:bow:

Btw I like sports very much and played division 1 football, academic all-American, national football foundation scholar athlete;)

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My friend is a Lakers fan--HARDCORE, and he seems to think EVERY single game has refs hell-bent on forcing the Lakers to go down the poop shoot.

I always tell him, "uh, 16 championships, bro! Kobe ain't lackin' rings! How did he do it with those cheating refs?" LOL!

If anything, the calls seem to go the Lakers' way!! I remember watching the Sacramento Kings back in the early 2000's getting every bad call while the Lakers were always innocent!

Funny I had the Lakers in mind as being deliberately favored, like that one year that bad officiating done Sacaramento in, even I remember that as does everyone else.

The you had the NY Knicks somehow winning the lottery and picking Ewing as no 1 pick when their chances should have been slim to none. But we can all see on youtube how Ewings envelope was bent in the corner unlike all the others.
Ive also always wondered how the Lakers with Kobe/ Shaq, the current Miami team, The Bulls with Jordan/Pippen and so on how these teams in the large citites that David Stern favors are always under the salary cap even with having 2-3 all star players.

Upvote 0