goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've thought seriously about it too.

Do you mean aquaponics including fish in the loop, for fertilizing plants? It becomes more complicated, but more productive as well.

I'm not sure if I will get the chance, but it does seem very efficient. :)

Yes, though I wouldn't go for the "closed loop" type with artificial soil to conserve water. That would be best for a doomsday scenario but I would just use the bottom water to feed and water the plants in the ground.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, though I wouldn't go for the "closed loop" type with artificial soil to conserve water. That would be best for a doomsday scenario but I would just use the bottom water to feed and water the plants in the ground.

I would anticipate doing the same.

I had a little farm until last year, and found all kinds of ways of using what was there to good effect.

My favorite was to keep a kiddie pool in the pasture near the tomato garden. The llama used to cool herself in the pool. Then I'd let the geese and ducks in to make use of it. After they'd muddied the water, I'd cycle it through the fence to water the tomatoes and peppers. It worked extremely well. :)

I had some barrels, but never got around to setting up fish.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I picked up a Garden Weasel this weekend and am very pleased with it. I highly recommend it, though, I would say spend the extra $10 and get the heavy duty one. I was able to weed my garden quickly and prep a fairly deep row for carrots with it. Handy little tool.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I picked up a Garden Weasel this weekend and am very pleased with it. I highly recommend it, though, I would say spend the extra $10 and get the heavy duty one. I was able to weed my garden quickly and prep a fairly deep row for carrots with it. Handy little tool.

I might have to hope for one of those.

Normally I use a stirrup-hoe, but the garden here was grass not so long ago, and it's proving to be a lot of work to keep weeded.

And I've barely got much planted. What's everyone else got?

I have tomatoes, habaneros, shallots, rosemary, sweet basil, thai basil, mint, lavender, strawberries, and I know a couple more herbs I'm forgetting.

I want to put in some watermelons, cantaloupe, pumpkins, maybe corn, bell peppers, more tomatoes, blueberries, and I'm wondering what kinds of beans grow here. I wish I'd gotten in potatoes, garlic and onions, wondering if it's too late. Potatoes have gotten expensive.

Some fruit trees will grow here, so I'm thinking of them too. Mostly citrus. Not sure it's worth it though, worrying about freezes and keeping them small enough to be able to harvest. I miss my peach trees. (Probably not cold long enough here.)

Speaking of which, is it everywhere that grocery stores are getting a bit sparse? Not like there's no food - there's plenty. But Wal-Mart's produce section was half empty yesterday, and for the last two times I've gone grocery shopping, they were completely out of a number of things on my list (in any brand), and it's really odd that Wal-mart is ever completely out of anything. Maybe it's just our Wal-Mart. I live kind of country-ish.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Miracle-Gro shake n feed for vegetables works wonders in the green thumb dept. Just break up the soil good and sprinkle some on.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when we go to get some pots and soil. :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't personally garden, but I'm living with my parents so I get to reap the benefits of my dad's garden. Dude has a green thumb like nothing I've ever seen, last summer his tomato plants grew from seedlings to about four feet high in a couple of weeks. They nearly took over the entire garden - but we had tomatoes and cherry tomatoes for days.

I think his secret is chicken manure, that stuff could turn a Yorkie into a St. Bernard.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't personally garden, but I'm living with my parents so I get to reap the benefits of my dad's garden. Dude has a green thumb like nothing I've ever seen, last summer his tomato plants grew from seedlings to about four feet high in a couple of weeks. They nearly took over the entire garden - but we had tomatoes and cherry tomatoes for days.

I think his secret is chicken manure, that stuff could turn a Yorkie into a St. Bernard.

Lol!

I am missing my farm animals. I had chicken, goat, llama, and rabbit manure, as well as "goose tea" from their water pool to water the soil with.

And "helpers" to eat the grasshoppers and other insects. Guineas and ducks are the greatest! Never could convince any of them to pick hornworms for me though ...

This year I'm having to BUY compost. Yeesh.

Upvote 0