inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Any other gardeners on here? What do you grow?

I got mine tilled, raked and furrowed yesterday. It's not big, only about 20'x30' but I have 6 mounds and 3 good rows. I'm planning 2 mounds each for cantaloupe, watermelon and cucumber. I'm still up in the air about the rest but plan for some black eye peas, snow peas, beefsteak tomatoes and banana peppers.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tomatoes and peppers for sure. Bought strawberries today.

I may have missed potatoes and onions.

Hoping for watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkin. Probably try some new beans. Garlic and herbs.

I haven't decided what else. I have a small area, and this is a new climate for me (but a good one for many things I think). I'm very anxious to get started. Winter held on MUCH longer than normal.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We just put in the summer garden. A tomato plant, basil to add to our thyme, sage, dill, chives, and the oregano that is attempting to take over the world, some bell peppers, romaine, and some various flowers. Oh and chamomile and mint. The mint was wisely constrained to a pot away from everything else, but I was unaware of oreganos attempt to be ground cover when it went into the bed.

In an apartment with a long, narrow backyard at a very bad angle to receive sunlight we're sometimes lucky to get much of anything. Over winter we got some carrots and radishes, but very few, and our peas didn't produce until we'd given up on them. We didn't discover they'd produced until we were tearing them out to put in the summer garden. With them out of the way the lavender and rosemary might have a chance though. Gotta let that rosemary grow - some nice big bunches for the Pascha lamb sounds great!

Upvote 0

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want to build a trellis for my cucumbers out of wire so they will hang from the bottom so I can pick them easier. I let them run last year and missed many that got too big before I found them. I want jars and jars of pickles and relish for the winter.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a half-dozen herbs ready - trying to decide if they probably need to be in pots, since I'm not sure if it rains too much here. Some might need better drainage and the mint would probably take over if I don't.

Found some habanero peppers since that's what hubby likes, and some super-sweet cherry tomatoes. All that is ready to go, then I'll put in the "real" tomatoes, and some bell peppers.

I think sweet potatoes do well here, so I may be putting them in soon too.

And my husband bought me a dahlia too. I love dahlias! I think I'm going to keep it up on the porch where I can look at it every time I peek outside. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inconsequential

Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want some more cherry tomatoes this year but its so hard keeping my son out of them. I'm thankful he loves veggies so much.

As of this morning I have one tomato seedling peeking and one cantaloupe. I hope to see more this week. I got the snow peas and black eyes planted as well as corn and cucumbers. Now to get some lettuce out there.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want some more cherry tomatoes this year but its so hard keeping my son out of them. I'm thankful he loves veggies so much.

As of this morning I have one tomato seedling peeking and one cantaloupe. I hope to see more this week. I got the snow peas and black eyes planted as well as corn and cucumbers. Now to get some lettuce out there.

Oh, you must live somewhere very different from me!

I'm far, far too late for snow peas and lettuce, but just coming well into tomato, pepper, and melon time.

I never have that much luck with cherry tomatoes, and I have no idea why, but I'm trying again. I always get some, but nowhere near as many as I should.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I dislike is that spinach grows in cold weather, and tomatoes grow in hot - and I want them both fresh for a salad at the same time.

The tomatoes seem to make the bigger difference though, so I prefer salads in summer.

Maybe in Eden, everything grew year-round. ;)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I are getting started on a garden this year, although we're trying an "unconventional" method. A fella has documented his experiences and techniques with hos gardening system, and there are several families at my parish who are starting to try it out. Back to Eden Film - Watch Back to Eden Film Organic Gardening Documentary for Free I don't know if you can still watch it online for free, but I think it will be worth your time to watch it. He is *very* much an Evangelical, and that comes out strongly in the documentary, but if you can get past that and just focus on his methods, it's pretty neat stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm keen to try my hand at aquaponics. I've watched videos and read quite a bit about it but would probably need a green house to do it here, with the winters we've been having lately.

I've thought seriously about it too.

Do you mean aquaponics including fish in the loop, for fertilizing plants? It becomes more complicated, but more productive as well.

I'm not sure if I will get the chance, but it does seem very efficient. :)

Upvote 0