Nephi

May 15, 2010
Ohio
✟15,515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Looks like I'll be moving to and attending the University of Dayton this Fall and needless to say I'm a bit nervous - it'll be the first time as an adult that I live outside this town.

So does anyone live in or around Dayton, Ohio? If so, any recommendations on good places to live and so on? I plan on going to the St. Paul OCA parish - does anyone go there?

Thanks!

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
can't say since I never been there, but Lord have mercy on you! I remember when I left for Penn State....and for Basic Training. you'll be fine. did you contact that local parish? because I am sure that they could be used to college kids coming and going, and could help hook you up.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Looks like I'll be moving to and attending the University of Dayton this Fall and needless to say I'm a bit nervous - it'll be the first time as an adult that I live outside this town.

So does anyone live in or around Dayton, Ohio? If so, any recommendations on good places to live and so on? I plan on going to the St. Paul OCA parish - does anyone go there?

Thanks!

Don't do it! UD is a crazy school and St. Paul's is full of overzealous converts! :p

Actually, I'm a two-time UD alum and a member of this very parish. There are several UD students who attend when they're in town, and one of our priests (recently ordained) is a professor of theology at UD. My wife and I both went to UD, we met at UD, and I still work at UD. And I love our Parish. Fr. Ted rocks :thumbsup:

So GO FLYERS, and I really do hope to meet you in the fall!

Please PM me if you'd like to discuss anything more. I'm happy to give you the scoop on Dayton. It won't take too long...not that much really happens around here...

Upvote 0

Nephi

May 15, 2010
Ohio
✟15,515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't do it! UD is a crazy school and St. Paul's is full of overzealous converts! :p

Actually, I'm a two-time UD alum and a member of this very parish. There are several UD students who attend when they're in town, and one of our priests (recently ordained) is a professor of theology at UD. My wife and I both went to UD, we met at UD, and I still work at UD. And I love our Parish. Fr. Ted rocks :thumbsup:

So GO FLYERS, and I really do hope to meet you in the fall!

Please PM me if you'd like to discuss anything more. I'm happy to give you the scoop on Dayton. It won't take too long...not that much really happens around here...

I'll take you up on that. I'll PM you soon. :)

My wife and I will be moving there for two years - I'll be going into the MA Theology program, and she'll be going into Education at either UD or Wright. Do you know if that priest teaches undergraduate or graduate?

It definitely helps to hear good things. I'm sure more happens there than it does here in southern Ohio. We don't have much other than druggies, Walmart, and fast food.

Upvote 0

Nephi

May 15, 2010
Ohio
✟15,515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
can't say since I never been there, but Lord have mercy on you! I remember when I left for Penn State....and for Basic Training. you'll be fine. did you contact that local parish? because I am sure that they could be used to college kids coming and going, and could help hook you up.

Looks like I just did, somewhat. :cool:

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thanks!
Well, it's probably changed since we were stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB back in 1998-2000, but when we lived off base, Fairborn was a cute, cozy town with pretty, Victorian-style houses. We rented a home in the Rona Hills neighborhood. I am trying to remember how far we were from Dayton...maybe 20 or so? We used to go to the big Greek Orthodox Church there near the awesome art museum.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's probably changed since we were stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB back in 1998-2000, but when we lived off base, Fairborn was a cute, cozy town with pretty, Victorian-style houses. We rented a home in the Rona Hills neighborhood. I am trying to remember how far we were from Dayton...maybe 20 or so? We used to go to the big Greek Orthodox Church there near the awesome art museum.

Hasn't changed as much as you might expect. Didn't know you were ever here! Come back, the art museum is still there and so is the Greek church :-D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Say hello to Lootens at St. Pauls as well as the Raabs for me (the Fink Family). Valentina is my youngest son's Godmother and Mary is my oldest sons godmother. We might be coming back to visit family this summer.

The Lootens are also my sponsors!!!

Truly a small world :wave:

Upvote 0

Nephi

May 15, 2010
Ohio
✟15,515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0