✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
LogicChristian said:
Who knows? I find it fairly unlikely that Osama can pick up a nuke that easily though.

Why? Explain why you find this unlikely. I would like to know your reasoning.

LogicChristian said:
He's tried and failed to buy one already, and got quite a bit of money stolen in the process.

How do you know this? I've heard the same thing, I just want to know where you got this bit of information from. So where?

Upvote 0

welchman

Jul 12, 2004
✟652.00
Faith
Protestant
I have heard it said that it is impossible for bin Laden to have a nuke in his possesion. I have also heard that al qaeda can't pull of another attack as big as 911. I find both of these conclusions to be fatally in error. It only took 19 men to turn the world on it's head and I doubt it will even take that many for the next attack. We are fooling ourselves if we think the worst is over in my opinion. The boarder is WIDE open at spots. I just gonna take a guess and say al qaeda knows this. We are talking about smart people who are very patient. I think we americans underestimate our enemy and we have forgotten how cunning and deadly they are.

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
LucasGoltz said:
Why? Explain why you find this unlikely. I would like to know your reasoning.

Russia doesn't have as many working nuclear weapons as many news sources would scare you into believing. A nuke doesn't have an infinite shelf life. and the newest suitcase nuke available is almost 20 years old by now.

LucasGoltz said:
How do you know this? I've heard the same thing, I just want to know where you got this bit of information from. So where?

http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/reports/binladen.htm

August 16, 1998
Israeli military intelligence sources reported that Bin Laden paid over 2 million pounds sterling to a middle-man in Kazakhstan, who promised to deliver a “suitcase” bomb to Bin Laden within two years. In an attempt to prevent Bin Laden from obtaining such weapons from Kazakhstan, Israel sent a cabinet minister to the republic to persuade the Kazakh government to prevent such exchanges from occurring.(7)

Upvote 0

welchman

Jul 12, 2004
✟652.00
Faith
Protestant
you know, I have heard both sides on the subject and as many "experts" there are out there that cast doubt on the possibility there are two times as many who are of the oposite opinion. To pull off another 911 it does take great amount of planning, money, and resources but don't get it twisted, something greater could happen with less men and less money. Timothy Mcviegh is a great example. As far as nuclear wepons in the hands of terrorists, I don't care what they tell you I can promise you OUR own goverment thinks it's not only possible but probable. Im sure you remember the story shortly after 911. THE CIA and THE FBI had reported that al qaeda had successfuly smuggled a nuclear suitcase into New York. Of course it didn't happen but why do you think they had a knee jerk reaction like that? Do you think they were listening to all the "I doubt it'' experts. In other words they do believe there is a high likelyhood they either do have one or are almost in possession of one.

Upvote 0

Loukuss

Senior Veteran
Mar 7, 2005
BC
✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
LogicChristian said:
Russia doesn't have as many working nuclear weapons as many news sources would scare you into believing.

Who said it had to come from Russia?

LogicChristian said:
A nuke doesn't have an infinite shelf life. and the newest suitcase nuke available is almost 20 years old by now.

No one ever claimed they did. But since you brought up the subject, would you care to enlighten us on how long its shelf life is?
Is 20 years the expiration date on a nuclear device? I fail to see why a 20 year old model wouldnt blow up any more. Is it rusty? Please explain.

LogicChristian said:

I read some of it. Interesting.
Do you believe the other views these writers discuss?
Do you believe that Al Queida doesnt exist?

quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
LucasGoltz said:
Who said it had to come from Russia?

That's the most popular place to assume they would get them, and there's really no other logical source other than an Islamic coup in Pakistan or Iran, but both of those are in the future.
LucasGoltz said:
No one ever claimed they did. But since you brought up the subject, would you care to enlighten us on how long its shelf life is?
Is 20 years the expiration date on a nuclear device? I fail to see why a 20 year old model wouldnt blow up any more. Is it rusty? Please explain.

The fissile material in the bomb decays, it's radioactive, remember?

There's many other factors as well, this should be enlightening.

http://www.lanl.gov/quarterly/q_w03/shelf_life.shtml

LucasGoltz said:
I read some of it. Interesting.
Do you believe the other views these writers discuss?
Do you believe that Al Queida doesnt exist?

Where does the article deny the existance of Al-Qaeda?

Here's a question for you, how will the UAE owning a port make it easier for Al-Qaeda to get in a nuke? The deal won't make our ports any more insecure than they already were.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have no doubt the US will get hit w/ WMD and while it will be sad to see the loss of life, I will hold Americans in the 2nd degree of responsibility behind those who actually commit the acts. 9/11 should have made us realize we are not living in Disney World and we need to hold our government/corporations responsible for their actions at home and abroad.

Instead, we have chosen to bicker endlessly over partisanship diatribes. Maybe it's because that is easier than ACTUALLY doing something? I don't know. What I do know is God allows all pendulums to swing back, and when ours does, there should be no crying because we could have helped to prevent it. Sadly, we chose to help make sure it will happen.

Reactions: Loukuss
Upvote 0

Loukuss

Senior Veteran
Mar 7, 2005
BC
✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
LogicChristian said:
That's the most popular place to assume they would get them, and there's really no other logical source other than an Islamic coup in Pakistan or Iran, but both of those are in the future.

Russia is a wild card, as along as Putin is in power. I'm not saying that he's necessarily sell Al Queda a nuke, but I dont think anyone can say for certain that the thought hasnt crossed him mind a few times.
NO other logical source? If the crazy Kim in S. Korea can get his hands on one, Osama can certainly do so as well.

LogicChristian said:
The fissile material in the bomb decays, it's radioactive, remember?

I was waiting for you to say that. I realize that its not the actually bomb structure that erodes, but the nuclear chemical that IS the bomb. However, this material can be separate from the bomb. You can acquire them separately.

LogicChristian said:
There's many other factors as well, this should be enlightening.

Not really. Hope they were for you.

LogicChristian said:
Where does the article deny the existance of Al-Qaeda?

No where. However, I did a background check on th writers of this article, and they tend to write about Al Qaieda not really existing. I was wondering if you believe everything they write or just some of it.

LogicChristian said:
Here's a question for you, how will the UAE owning a port make it easier for Al-Qaeda to get in a nuke? The deal won't make our ports any more insecure than they already were.

Cause the Coast Guard does such a great job.:doh:
If the UAE-based company was ever compromised, and Al Qaieda has already talked about this, then there could be serious problems.
Essentially, the US is giving another country control over their ports. In an era of terrorism and uncertainty, this just doesnt seem like a prudent move.
But I'm not American, so what do I care?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
LucasGoltz said:
Russia is a wild card, as along as Putin is in power. I'm not saying that he's necessarily sell Al Queda a nuke, but I dont think anyone can say for certain that the thought hasnt crossed him mind a few times.

I can say for pretty certain he hasn't. Al-Qaida has associations with a major thorn in Putin's side, the Chechans.
LucasGoltz said:
NO other logical source? If the crazy Kim in S. Korea can get his hands on one, Osama can certainly do so as well.
You mean North Korea right? Well Kim has his own Uranium enrichment program and scientific base, something Osama doesn't have. And it's not like anyone can just walk into Pyongyang and ask for nuclear arms.

LucasGoltz said:
I was waiting for you to say that. I realize that its not the actually bomb structure that erodes, but the nuclear chemical that IS the bomb. However, this material can be separate from the bomb. You can acquire them separately.

Not really. Hope they were for you.
I'm sorry you didn't find the link interesting, because you missed the complete point, and only attacked half my argument. It's not just the fissile material that decays, but other pieces in the bomb too.

Also, if you're Al-Qaida, the fissile core of the bomb is the hardest part to get.

LucasGoltz said:
No where. However, I did a background check on th writers of this article, and they tend to write about Al Qaieda not really existing. I was wondering if you believe everything they write or just some of it.

The article itself certainly didn't indicate anything of the sort.

LucasGoltz said:
Cause the Coast Guard does such a great job.:doh:
If the UAE-based company was ever compromised, and Al Qaieda has already talked about this, then there could be serious problems.
Essentially, the US is giving another country control over their ports. In an era of terrorism and uncertainty, this just doesnt seem like a prudent move.
But I'm not American, so what do I care?

How is the company being compromised going to undermine port security measures if port security is handled by the federal government and military and all the longshoremen are American.

Upvote 0

Loukuss

Senior Veteran
Mar 7, 2005
BC
✟4,040.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
LogicChristian said:
I can say for pretty certain he hasn't.

So you have close ties with Putin now eh?

LogicChristian said:
Al-Qaida has associations with a major thorn in Putin's side, the Chechans.

Even if you can draw a connection between Osama and the Chechians, this doesnt mean that Osama couldnt acquire nukes from Russia. All you really need is to buy a scientist. Or kidnap one.

LogicChristian said:
You mean North Korea right?
I suppose I did.

LogicChristian said:
Well Kim has his own Uranium enrichment program and scientific base, something Osama doesn't have. And it's not like anyone can just walk into Pyongyang and ask for nuclear arms.

Who is Kim's enemy? The US. Who is Osama's enemy? The US. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I can see Kim and Osama agreeing a very nice deal under mutually exclusive goals.

LogicChristian said:
I'm sorry you didn't find the link interesting, because you missed the complete point, and only attacked half my argument. It's not just the fissile material that decays, but other pieces in the bomb too.

I understand that. Its just as big of a problem as the shelf life of the plutunium.

LogicChristian said:
Also, if you're Al-Qaida, the fissile core of the bomb is the hardest part to get.

Why is that? Please explain.

LogicChristian said:
The article itself certainly didn't indicate anything of the sort.

I already said that. Read closer. I said that the writers of this piece have written lots of other articles that Al Quaeda doesnt exist. I was asking if you believed that.

LogicChristian said:
How is the company being compromised going to undermine port security measures if port security is handled by the federal government and military and all the longshoremen are American.
Because I dont think that the US can handle security in 22 ports and wage wars in Iraq and Iran (soon enough). You dont have the man power, nor are you organized enough. Your homeland security is a joke.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
JPPT1974 said:
Osama is good at hiding out
I will admit to that
But it took about thirteen years after the first Gulf War
To get Saddam!

We could have taken Saddam in 91' and I know because I was there. We didn't because it would have alienated Kuwait/SA and any other Islamic ally we had.

Upvote 0

LogicChristian

Aug 28, 2005
Saint Louis
✟19,002.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Others
LucasGoltz said:
So you have close ties with Putin now eh?

Even if you can draw a connection between Osama and the Chechians, this doesnt mean that Osama couldnt acquire nukes from Russia. All you really need is to buy a scientist. Or kidnap one.

Buying or kidnapping a scientist won't produce the fissile material you need to make a bomb. He can't shape it into the sphere or ovoid you'd need for the bomb, and can't precisely place the explosive lenses you'd need for the bomb.

Making a nuke isn't as easy as stealing a scientist, it takes quite a few very advanced, very precise, very heavy, and very expensive machine tools.

LucasGoltz said:
Who is Kim's enemy? The US. Who is Osama's enemy? The US. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I can see Kim and Osama agreeing a very nice deal under mutually exclusive goals.

You completely missed the point. North Korea is a very close society, and Kim is pretty paranoid about outsiders. Why is he going to let Osama Bin Laden just waltz into the nation and buy a bomb? What contacts does Osama have that could get him in touch with Kim? When has North Korea ever associated itself with Islamic terror.

Your scenario is a pretty far stretch, even for something that is merely speculative.

LucasGoltz said:
Why is that? Please explain.

You have to either have a working core in the bomb, buy the material, steal it, or make it. HEU isn't just laying around anywhere in the world.

LucasGoltz said:
I already said that. Read closer. I said that the writers of this piece have written lots of other articles that Al Quaeda doesnt exist. I was asking if you believed that.

I already cleared this up. The article doesn't say that they don't believe Al-Qaeda exists, because it mentions the existance of the group Al-Qaida many times.

Considering that we've been talking about Al-Qaeda quite a bit now, I think common sense would indicate to you that I believe in it.

LucasGoltz said:
Because I dont think that the US can handle security in 22 ports and wage wars in Iraq and Iran (soon enough). You dont have the man power, nor are you organized enough. Your homeland security is a joke.

This argument is the most absurd I've seen thus far. The Army, and National Guard are the services that are tied down in Iraq. The Coast Guard and the Department of Homeland Security aren't touched by the military's deployments in Iraq, and are seperate agencies.

Handling security in (way more than) 22 ports isn't touched by the fact we have to wage a war in Iraq.

Upvote 0