Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At the risk of being a cynic; I'll believe this when I see it. Considering how the Chinese government treats any religious people outside of the predominately Han country I can't say that I see them allowing their own people to become Orthodox. That being said, I've been wrong before.

My other criticism of the article would be the last few paragraphs about how the Orthodox Church supposedly collaborated with authoritarian regimes while saying the the Roman Catholic Church never did. Have they not heard of the Ustashe? Or Aloysius Stepinac? Or the Borgias? Clearly biased.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, the ordinations and possible opening of Churches would not really affect the Han. The article says the majority of Orthodox in China are of russian descent (meaning they are the russians that have intermarried and their offspring). It will work for ex-pats and those Orthodox who work in China, it may include an ethnic chinese if the person legally married the 'outsider'.

Having a relationship with the chinese authorities is a good thing. In such cultures credibility comes from the top down. A softening even a possible conversion from some important figure can go a long way.

Good news though is from my talk with ethnic chinese Orthodox ( which I admit is not many -can be counted on one hand even if I have a missing finger) there is atleast one Orthodox monk from America who courageously has sneaked into China and has baptised a few ethnic Han.

Last edited:
Upvote 0