Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never knew that, pro, very very interesting!

I wonder how they developed that attitude? Latin only has one quarter the vocabulary of Greek (another reason why Rome's theology has diverged from the East's)

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

Unfortunately many of then would have learned the Erasmus pronunciation rather than the organic modern Greek, so they would have trouble recognising the words they were hearing.

Does anybody read Latin this way? Why on earth have academics embraced an artificial reconstruction of how they think Greek used to be pronounced, yet don't do the same for Latin?
Because of racism and wanting to "Westernize" the Ancient Greeks.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never knew that, pro, very very interesting!
Something else you might appreciate.
In the Jewish Talmud it states the following:
“Four languages are of value: Greek for song, Latin for war, Aramaic for dirges, and Hebrew for speaking”​

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ is Risen!

anevins,
for what it is worth we have a subforum where debate is allowed, but in this area you may only post in fellowship or to ask questions. When you signed up with Christian Forums you agreed to abide by the rules which your above posts violate in spades. Thus you have been duly reported.

Do have a lovely day

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,092.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ is Risen!

anevins,
for what it is worth we have a subforum where debate is allowed, but in this area you may only post in fellowship or to ask questions. When you signed up with Christian Forums you agreed to abide by the rules which your above posts violate in spades. Thus you have been duly reported.

Do have a lovely day

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the troll may be on some proto-Julian calendar because that kind of crazy only shows up during Lent. Certainly that troll has an ax to grind, but is nowhere near as cool as the Freemont Troll. Anywho,

That sounds like a great idea. Here in Baltimore, we should do a steam crab and Maryland fried chicken feast after agape vespers.
Don't forget the pit beef and Natty Boh ;)

Agape Vespers is perfect. It's a Sunday, usually an hour long, huge food fest afterward and not as overwhelming for first-timers as the midnight liturgy.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Regardless of where the troll comes from, everyone please ignore him. He is well known on other Orthodox forums as well.

Jesse is right, prayer is the best response.

An interesting note about Latin. Scholars in the past actually tried to impose Latin grammatical structures onto English. so Greek isn't the only victim of that latinization.

I love Latin though, and I love the Romance languages. I've heard a little of Byzantine chant done in Spanish, and it sounds pretty good. Spanish isn't Latin per se, but it's a Romance Language.

This is going really off topic. I'd like to go back to the original topic and talk more about the OP's question, because I think it is a good one.

Christus Resurrexit!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Regarding small American towns and Orthodoxy - my husband and I were interested in looking at potentially moving eventually to Maine where we went on our honeymoon (we love it there, and we have some location issues we still have to figure out). Our thoughts of doing that were quickly stopped once we realized that there are only 3 Orthodox Churches in Maine (I think)! The closest one to the area we were looking at was 3 hours away. Meanwhile, where we live now, there are 5 Orthodox Churches within 5-45 minutes away from us! I'm so thankful for our situation here, but I wish that we could do something to make it more accessible in non-Orthodox populated areas!

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

Regardless of where the troll comes from, everyone please ignore him. He is well known on other Orthodox forums as well.

Jesse is right, prayer is the best response.

An interesting note about Latin. Scholars in the past actually tried to impose Latin grammatical structures onto English. so Greek isn't the only victim of that latinization.

I love Latin though, and I love the Romance languages. I've heard a little of Byzantine chant done in Spanish, and it sounds pretty good. Spanish isn't Latin per se, but it's a Romance Language.

This is going really off topic. I'd like to go back to the original topic and talk more about the OP's question, because I think it is a good one.

Christus Resurrexit!

Great points!

Also are we talking about Koine Greek or Attic Greek vs Vulgar Latin or Old Latin or Classical Latin.

Then there is the point that many Romans used both Latin and Greek as upper class Romans went to Greek universities.

Then you have modern Greek vs modern Latin(romance languages).

Anyways to say which is "better" gets complicated quickly.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

If Orthodox churches offered Biblical Greek and church history classes to the public you might see some more people get interested in Orthodoxy.

:)

we don't yet offer Biblical Greek, but have numerous non-Greeks taking modern Greek (Ellinomatheia) at our parish.

My first parish did have Koine Greek classes - and this was great. But I do hope that if such programs expand, the deeper meaning of the Koine Greek is included - which would make the classes take much longer - but the proficiency level would be fuller.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If Orthodox churches offered Biblical Greek and church history classes to the public you might see some more people get interested in Orthodoxy.

I am sure there are those out there that offer it

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@LisaMarie, did you read what I wrote? This guy is a troll, please do not respond directly to him

Hi G.C.! i didn't even pay attention to him or what he wrote as I know it's false.

I would love to see more Orthodox Churches here in the Western hemipshere
my theory has been that since it was mainly Spanish(and French and Portuguese) European Catholics who came to South and Central America
and Anglo(English) Protestants who came to North America (excepting Russia)that's why we see certain Christian churches predominate here and
why so few Orthodox Churches as of right now.
I use the Southeastern U.S. As an example up until recently mainly Protestant very few Catholic or even Lutheran churches as for some reason few Lutherans and Catholics settled there. Lots of Lutherans and Catholics where I live now in the upper midwest in fact they predominate mainly German and Scandanavian Lutherans!
Hopefully that can be changed, and we will see more Orthodox churches in the 21st century in the Western Hemisphere.
I'm certainly far from an expert on Orthodoxy but I'm encouraged to see a church in a small city 80 miles south of me and in another small city 150 miles south of me. I don't believe either of those existed over 50 years ago.(Mainly Lutherans and Catholics) Maybe like the deep(US) south we will see a change over the next century baring the Lord's return.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I never said nor implied that if one is a farmer, he/she cannot grasp things intellectually, only that what little evangelism we do, seems to be presented in a very intellectual manner and is geared mostly to that crowd, (intellectually leaning, urban people), therefore, only reaching a small number of people, therefore, a possible reason why we don't see many Orthodox in rural/small town America, therefore, answering the OP's question.

BTW, I am from a small town in upstate NY, so is most of my family, I do know something about what living in a small town is like and the dynamics of small town living.

And again my comments are not implying anything about Archbishop Dmitri and what he did in the Diocese of the South of the OCA.

I'm sorry for overreacting to your post, Greg. Please forgive me. I do still disagree with your point about how Orthodoxy is being presented. I don't see it that way, but we can agree to disagree about that.

Mary

Upvote 0