Orthodoxy and small town America

C

CelticRebel

I don't know the situation in the U.S. states outside of the South, but here in the very rural South, there is no Orthodox presence to speak of. If I wanted to convert to Orthodoxy, or even visit an Orthodox church, i would have to drive at least 90 miles to the nearest one and over 100 miles to the second nearest one.

Why do you think there are no Orthodox churches in the small towns and rural areas of the South? Is it any different in small towns and rural areas in other parts of the country?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There aren't any because you need a decent amount of Orthodox to support a parish. In areas with historically Orthodox immigration, they do have Orthodox churches in small towns because they have that Orthodox population. cf Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

Why not go once a month? I was in Meridian, MS for a few months and while there the nearest Orthodox church was in Jackson which involved a two hour car drive to get there.

Honestly? My guess would be the fact that there has not been a demand for a mission or the resources to support one. Get some people together, call a nearby priest and he'd probably be willing to visit and do a service once in a while. If you get enough together you'd be able to support a mission. Get more together and you'll have a parish.

Upvote 0

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know the situation in the U.S. states outside of the South, but here in the very rural South, there is no Orthodox presence to speak of. If I wanted to convert to Orthodoxy, or even visit an Orthodox church, i would have to drive at least 90 miles to the nearest one and over 100 miles to the second nearest one.

Why do you think there are no Orthodox churches in the small towns and rural areas of the South? Is it any different in small towns and rural areas in other parts of the country?

Hey man, what area of the south do you live in? I'm from the upstate of South Carolina so I know what you mean by the lack of Orthodox churches (though I'm blessed to live in an area where, though we are small towns, we have a choice of three different Orthodox churches).

I would tell you to NOT give up man, but drive to and visit the Orthodox church whenever you can (even if only once a month). God WILL bless your efforts, and you'll fall in love with Orthodoxy. And form a relationship with the priest!

Oh! I would also tell you to contact the people that run the website Journey To Orthodoxy. They actually have a support system for people in your situation that can't really attend an Orthodox church very often but are interested in Orthodoxy. God bless you greatly in your efforts!!

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Upvote 0

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟118,253.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi Celticrebel

I would also suggest contacting the closest Orthodox Churches and see if there are any parishioners living near you who you could share all or part of the journey with.

Priest and Deacons sometimes travel to other locations to meet with/hold services for Orthodox Christians far away from the home parish. These may not be regular enough to appear on a Church website, so you may only find out about such opportunities by contacting the parish directly.

Hope that helps
Deborah

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,962.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Where abouts in the South are you?

A former member of TAW is the priest at St Nicholas Orthodox Church in Murphy, North Carolina. Another former member was involved in the establishment of St Innocent Orthodox Church in Macon, Georgia. Are they anywhere near you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am really happy and glad that Orthodoxy is growing in America :D May God bless you all, Orthodox brothers from the US, you please Christ in the most beautiful manner!

It grows slowly, but it grows steadily! God willing it continue till Christ comes again!

CHRIST IS RISEN!

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am in Mississippi, about 90 minutes from Memphis, Tennessee.
Near Oxford?

When I was living in Meridian and going to church in Clinton there was a family there whose kids were students at Ole Miss. They would go down on the weekends to visit family and go to church. If you were to email the priest in Clinton than chances are pretty good he'd know someone in your part of the state.

Upvote 0
C

CelticRebel

Near Oxford?

When I was living in Meridian and going to church in Clinton there was a family there whose kids were students at Ole Miss. They would go down on the weekends to visit family and go to church. If you were to email the priest in Clinton than chances are pretty good he'd know someone in your part of the state.

I'm an hour from Oxford, and Tupelo is about 100 miles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would agree that going once a month if you can would be a great way to start, especially if you can let the priest know your situation and the distance, I am pretty sure you can work something out.

I dunno as well if this is closer. it's in Southern TN as well and close to to the MS border: St. Paul Skete | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

it's a monastery with only one nun (who I hear is wonderful).

Upvote 0
C

CelticRebel

I would agree that going once a month if you can would be a great way to start, especially if you can let the priest know your situation and the distance, I am pretty sure you can work something out.

I dunno as well if this is closer. it's in Southern TN as well and close to to the MS border: St. Paul Skete | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

it's a monastery with only one nun (who I hear is wonderful).

This would be about 100 miles, too. Would they hold services here?

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Due to the Southern United States' sad history of intolerance toward immigrants, most Orthodox immigration happened in the northeast. Although Florida and Louisiana saw some Greek immigration.

A high-paying job in a factory or a port is better than a low-paying job in someone's field. That is why. People were simply following the money.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This would be about 100 miles, too. Would they hold services here?

well, it is just one nun so probably not. maybe that parish you found is your best bet, and maybe there's some folks in your area who might have an interest. that can help get something started closer.

but I would go with the closest clergy/parish to you and tell them the distance

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
lack of evangelism and a lack of a church planting program. Also, too much emphasis on the intellectual aspects of Orthodoxy, attracting mainly intellectually leaning people rather than people like farmers, factory workers, coal miners, etc.

Upvote 0