Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I'm not really interested in the "Orthodox" part, I'm just curious about some of your opinions on global warming, the science of it, not the politics of it, though I'll throw in a couple religious questions just to make things appropriate for this forum.

Do you believe in global warming (that is, do you believe the planet has been getting warmer over the last several decades)?

If so, do you believe that human activity is one of the causes of this warming? Do you believe it is one of the major causes?

If you believe in global warming, do you believe it is a large, significant problem or a small, insignificant problem? Or something else.

Are you changing your lifestyle because of global warming?

I don't really want this to get into politics or even a debate about the science.

Anyway, uh, some kind of religious question: have the Ecumenical Patriarch's views on the environment influenced your take on these questions in any way?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My answers are that, yes, I believe in the current scientific consensus that global temperature has been increasing at ~.1 C per decade and that human activity is responsible for a large proportion of that, and that it is a significant problem. I have made changes to my lifestyle because of it. The Ecumenical Patriarch's views have been comforting and given me hope, but I was convinced on the scientific merits alone.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes
Large
No
No

We accept current science without giving it too much currency. We should live with a reasonable degree of thrift and frugality; we did not make this panet or mankind and cannot save it for or from everybody else and not let concerns about the future blind us to the hope of our Faith.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At the end of the day, it doesn't make that much difference. Climate indeed is changing, climates always change. That is a given. Another thing that is a given is that whether or not global warming is in fact occuring, our vocation to be stewards of creation remains to be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your response, though I would note that, if human activity is responsible for the current change, it is relevant, because being a steward of creation would require different behavior than if human activity were irrelevant. So it does make a difference.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I dunno. I know there was a hysteria by the same folks a while back that thought we were gonna usher in a new Ice Age, and nothing happened. it seems more of a fad that guys like George Clooney and Al Gore latch onto for a spell.

that being said, the fewer pollutants we throw in the air and water the better, and we have done damage to our planet because of it, I just don't think it's as dire as many would have us believe.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not really because the vocation remains the same. We might have to take some specific actions based on advice or direction from experts in the the various scientific fields that study such phenomenon, but the fact that we are to care for creation and to sanctify and give back to God in thanksgiving His creation remains the same.
Also, how we are to live, in modesty, simplicity, seeing the resources God has given to us as gifts rather then plunder, and using the gifts to benefit all, in love rather than greed and selfishness. This is how we are called to live, regardless of whether or not global warming is taking place.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe in global warming (that is, do you believe the planet has been getting warmer over the last several decades)?

Yes, I think that has been adequately documented.

If so, do you believe that human activity is one of the causes of this warming? Do you believe it is one of the major causes?

I dont know. I have an intelligent friend in the meteorology business who holds the opinion that it is largely natural. I do not doubt that we can and do affect the world around us; whether or not we are the major cause, I am unsure.

If you believe in global warming, do you believe it is a large, significant problem or a small, insignificant problem?

I think it's a problem worth seeing where we can affect it and taking steps to do so. Unsure whether it's a large problem or a small problem simply because of the feasibility of solving the problem. If it's a large, unsolvable problem, is it worth worrying over?

I am always looking for ways to minimize our impact on the environment. I think that most effective change will have to come at a national or global level.

Anyway, uh, some kind of religious question: have the Ecumenical Patriarch's views on the environment influenced your take on these questions in any way? Nope!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I'm not really interested in the "Orthodox" part, I'm just curious about some of your opinions on global warming, the science of it, not the politics of it, though I'll throw in a couple religious questions just to make things appropriate for this forum.

Yes. Well, I believe it has times when it heats and times when it cools. But it's happening, I do believe.

Yes. Is it a major cause? I have two beliefs on this. If I tend to look at the changes in the earth over the what many of years its existed, then I would say the human cause is not as large, but I tend to believe our sins cause the disasters on the earth. I've come to believe this in the last couple years. Just some things I read from some Elders, and I think it makes sense. I do believe people have caused pollution on the planet with toxic stuff produced.

If you believe in global warming, do you believe it is a large, significant problem or a small, insignificant problem? Or something else.
I think it's a pretty significant problem.

Well, to the extent we recycle, use some flourescent light bulbs (the curly looking ones), and have a energy-efficient furnace.

Anyway, uh, some kind of religious question: have the Ecumenical Patriarch's views on the environment influenced your take on these questions in any way?
No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

Per the evidence, yes.

It cannot not be involved; to the degree it is, I don't know.
I'm not sure, and almost think the matter of degree is secondary - our responsibility as stewards, and the spiritual dimensions of the human life, are greater ...

Not because of global warming - but as a matter of stewardship (to God and neighbor) we have tried to be as low impact as possible for some time now (actually, always). Also, because we have a large family I felt especially responsible to live in a low impact manner.

No, but I find his position heartening - felt less "out to lunch" if you will :D

The earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof ...

Upvote 0

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When we think about sin our first thoughts tend to be about our immediate actions that visibly and quickly affect ourselves and our neighbor; however, I think things even as grand as global warming and even some illnesses can be a product of the choices we make. Perhaps climate change, some cancers, etc. are results of free will.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that earth's temperatures fluctuate naturally. We've been in periods that were colder than today, and we've been in periods that were warmer than today, and that was before the Industrial Revolution and its effects.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When we think about sin our first thoughts tend to be about our immediate actions that visibly and quickly affect ourselves and our neighbor; however, I think things even as grand as global warming and even some illnesses can be a product of the choices we make. Perhaps climate change, some cancers, etc. are results of free will.

good way of putting it. and unless I am mistaken, good to see you back here truth. place just ain't the same without you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

The plight of the world's fish supply due to overfishing is already clear. Now fish stocks face another pressure. Fish will shrink up to a quarter by 2050 as a result of climate change, according to a new study.
The findings, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, were based on a computer projection "to see how fish would react to lower levels of oxygen in the water," Matt McGrath at BBC News writes.

Read more: Climate Change Will Shrink Fish Size - Business Insider

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The plight of the world's fish supply due to overfishing is already clear. Now fish stocks face another pressure. Fish will shrink up to a quarter by 2050 as a result of climate change, according to a new study.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, were based on a computer projection "to see how fish would react to lower levels of oxygen in the water," Matt McGrath at BBC News writes.

Read more: Climate Change Will Shrink Fish Size - Business Insider

Setting the stage for man to kill himself in multiple ways (death by a thousand cuts) when it comes to being wasteful with the environment.

What's being done to the fish is horrible...

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Global Warming: Yes, but not from human activity. Geothermal warming is warming the seas as underground volcanic activity increases. If it were human activity, then please explain why the ice in Antarctica is increasing while that in the Arctic is decreasing?

I have been looking at various scientific websites, like the government weather sites, and have found that there is a whole string of new volcanic islands being generated.
When new volcanoes form on the ocean bottom, there is an increase in gases produced, which not only warms the oceans, but also the atmosphere. The increase in severe weather is also caused by an increase in the volume of water in our atmosphere. With a shift in the jet stream, we have areas that are being flooded and areas that are suffering drought.

Back to our situation living in the South: We are burning up, all my tomatoes and potatoes died due to the intense solar radiation. I have never seen this before.

We are in a SOLAR MAXIMUM during 2012-2014. We have experienced X-FLARES from the sun. With the solar flares coming at us from the active sunspots, yes, we are being affected and so is our vegetation. All around me, I see plants dying, not from lack of water, but from their leaves being singed by the solar radiation.

Hello, Gore is wet behind his ears.

Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0