Orthodoxy and contemporary hymns

H

HalupkiMonster

I am involved in the Roman Catholic club on campus. I have seen masses on EWTN, and they were beautiful. I'm finding these services to be very different.

Among others, this is a favorite hymn of the group when they host mass..You Never Let Go by Matt Redman - YouTube

Not my favorite.

Would Orthodoxy ever implement contemporary hymns in its services? I would think not, but I really didn't see this coming from the RCC, so I'm just curious.

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Would Orthodoxy ever implement contemporary hymns in its services? I would think not, but I really didn't see this coming from the RCC, so I'm just curious.
Seems like the only place in the liturgy where new hymns can "cycle in" easily is the communion hymns.

Or during the post-liturgical part of feasts.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am involved in the Roman Catholic club on campus. I have seen masses on EWTN, and they were beautiful. I'm finding these services to be very different.

Among others, this is a favorite hymn of the group when they host mass..

Not my favorite.

I like it. I should get this for iPad to fuel my morning jogs.

At least he uses proper English ("whom then shall I fear), which is more than I can say about my Little Red Antiochian Prayer Book.

No, I don't want this at DL. Ever.

But I can't see anything wrong with modern praise songs in other contexts--concerts or evangelistic talks in church. We do concerts of Russian choral music--why not modern English?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem is often not one of contemporary vs. old, but quality vs. garbage.

The vast majority of "contemporary" Christian music consists of poorly-executed imitations of dated secular music.

Agreed. I'm sure that Orthodoxy have a boatload of hymns that just never survived the ages as well.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The problem is often not one of contemporary vs. old, but quality vs. garbage.

The vast majority of "contemporary" Christian music consists of poorly-executed imitations of dated secular music.

ain't that the truth. Fr Justin Matthews has a song called Lovers of Truth which I must say, is pretty sweet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A thousand AMEN's!!!!!!!

Boy, how foolishly we get hung up on what we see as "orthodox", "traditional" or "holy".

yeah but ours are still traidtional, Orthodox, and holy. if they weren't, they would not be our hymns

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

A thousand AMEN's!!!!!!!

Boy, how foolishly we get hung up on what we see as "orthodox", "traditional" or "holy".

This is one way of looking at it.

But another way is to recognize that hymns maintain and teach correct doctrine; as doctrine doesn't change, there is no need to change the hymns.

The "music" also has a function; it is catechetical, and indeed is meant to assist one to pray, worship, and focus oneself towards God.

There is nothing to keep any Orthodox from also composing, singing, and enjoying Christian songs; in fact this does happen.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Halupkimonster, if you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school?

I don't feel comfortable getting into specifics so as to maintain my anonymity. I go to a small regional university with in the Colorado State University system. We have a few Orthodox, but they mostly don't practice their faith. I'm trying hard to get others to come to Church, and I'm finding the ones who are already Orthodox to be the most difficult to drag to Church!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't feel comfortable getting into specifics so as to maintain my anonymity. I go to a small regional university with in the Colorado State University system. We have a few Orthodox, but they mostly don't practice their faith. I'm trying hard to get others to come to Church, and I'm finding the ones who are already Orthodox to be the most difficult to drag to Church!!!

I saw on the OCF page that Colorado State has an OCF. maybe going to that could spice things up a tad?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
H

HalupkiMonster

I saw on the OCF page that Colorado State has an OCF. maybe going to that could spice things up a tad?

Yes, they have a very active OCF, as do a couple of other schools here in CO. I would drive there for events, but for this poor college student it's too much gas being used at once. The priests in our diocese put together fun young adult activities where I meet people form the OCF chapters around CO, so that's fun!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they have a very active OCF, as do a couple of other schools here in CO. I would drive there for events, but for this poor college student it's too much gas being used at once. The priests in our diocese put together fun young adult activities where I meet people form the OCF chapters around CO, so that's fun!

what about trying to start one at your school? it might be a good way to get some of the other Orthodox involved.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

what about trying to start one at your school? it might be a good way to get some of the other Orthodox involved.

I would love to, however my campus being a regional university and the demographics that leads to makes things like this complicated. My school doesn't have a whole lot of ethnic and religious diversity, in that there could be dozens of baptized Orthodox, but no one seems to practice it. The only Orthodox I've met was a very kind girl, but she couldn't stop telling me about her priest back in California who was at the forefront of a movement for gay marriage and female priesthood in the Church. But I suppose I can work with what I have!

Father wants to serve vespers on campus. Knowing of the politics of the student activities office, we will have to host this through the Catholic club, but it's a definite possibility.

I will also be helping Father with a booth at the student activities fair next semester. We'd like to advertise our Church, and I'd love to get an OCF in the works.

It's just difficult, because I don't know how much interest there'll be. I've met people who are from Eastern Europe and Greece, but they tell me Church is not something they're into. It's kind of a pain, as the ones I've got the most negative reaction from are the already Orthodox on campus, who don't seem to want to go to Church. The Catholics love the idea.

But I will try.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would love to, however my campus being a regional university and the demographics that leads to makes things like this complicated. My school doesn't have a whole lot of ethnic and religious diversity, in that there could be dozens of baptized Orthodox, but no one seems to practice it. The only Orthodox I've met was a very kind girl, but she couldn't stop telling me about her priest back in California who was at the forefront of a movement for gay marriage and female priesthood in the Church. But I suppose I can work with what I have!

Father wants to serve vespers on campus. Knowing of the politics of the student activities office, we will have to host this through the Catholic club, but it's a definite possibility.

I will also be helping Father with a booth at the student activities fair next semester. We'd like to advertise our Church, and I'd love to get an OCF in the works.

It's just difficult, because I don't know how much interest there'll be. I've met people who are from Eastern Europe and Greece, but they tell me Church is not something they're into. It's kind of a pain, as the ones I've got the most negative reaction from are the already Orthodox on campus, who don't seem to want to go to Church. The Catholics love the idea.

But I will try.

haha, I hear you. I am the lay rep for a fledgling OCF in TN that only began last year. but folks it seems once they hear are interested, so we'll see!

Upvote 0