Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bravo to you! Any man not willing to wait is not worth it anyway, so you are better off. I know this sounds cliche, but when the right man comes, he will wait -
I second the "bravo!" It's very hard to be abstinent in this society and culture, and it's even worse than when I was dating back in the early to mid 1990's. May God continue to give you the strength and endurance, Mariya.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And since I'm on the topic of waiting, I've been reading posts by our own Halupki Monster who has admittedly been struggling with same sex attraction and has decided to be abstinent. I have much respect for his decision and feel he an I are somewhat in the same place - abstaining from something that is not allowed even if it means being alone, period.
Yes, he is amazing, I think. I commend you both.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And since I'm on the topic of waiting, I've been reading posts by our own Halupki Monster who has admittedly been struggling with same sex attraction and has decided to be abstinent. I have much respect for his decision and feel he an I are somewhat in the same place - abstaining from something that is not allowed even if it means being alone, period.

I gotta throw in that I agree. it takes a lot of guts to hold out when the passions and the devil and the world are all telling you that what ain't okay is okay. many props to both you and Halupki.

and I say this as someone who was just married, is 31, and waited until my wedding night and so did my wife. it was worth it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hunted: Shocking Channel 4 documentary reveals full horror of persecution in Russia where "gay people are hunted like animals" - Mirror Online

Sad, sickening stuff. That's why I don't believe things are being exaggerated over there - so few gays reportedly live openly, and things are still this bad. I'm not sure who this "Father Sergei" is - maybe Rus will know. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not even kosher, but he's going to be on this doco saying this drivel. Many are going to see it, and it looks oh so bad :(.

At the risk of repeating myself again y'all ought to be concerned. The Russian church is shooting itself in the foot with this behaviour and even if it's not actually the Russian church, the Russian church sure aren't doing anything about their very wayward adherents it seems. They don't have to agree with homosexuality to say 'leave them alone. You're making us look bad to the rest of the world'. Good grief!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At the risk of repeating ourselves over and over again. Anyone with half a brain (and I don't mean this as an insult) can read the Gospels for themselves and there they will see the commandments of Christ to love God and neighbor, to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us, that to say you love God but hate your neighbor makes you a liar, and they will see the very example of the life of Christ Himself, who went around doing good, and when falsely accused and sentenced to crucifixion, did not strike back at his enemies but went to the Cross for our salvation, forgiving those who were crucifying Him.

When they do the above, and read the lives of the ones the Church regards as saints, they will see that the actions you mentioned above are an deviation from the clear commandments of Christ and His Life.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and for how they chose to respond to any information they come across in their life. We are not at the mercy of whatever falls into our laps, we must always be seeking, learning, asking questions, comparing, reading, etc.

I'm sure others have told these people that they are making us look bad, but we have free will, and telling that to people isn't going to stop them from doing what they want to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
At the risk of repeating ourselves over and over again. Anyone with half a brain (and I don't mean this as an insult) can read the Gospels for themselves and there they will see the commandments of Christ to love God and neighbor, to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us, that to say you love God but hate your neighbor makes you a liar, and they will see the very example of the life of Christ Himself, who went around doing good, and when falsely accused and sentenced to crucifixion, did not strike back at his enemies but went to the Cross for our salvation, forgiving those who were crucifying Him.

When they do the above, and read the lives of the ones the Church regards as saints, they will see that the actions you mentioned above are an deviation from the clear commandments of Christ and His Life.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and for how they chose to respond to any information they come across in their life. We are not at the mercy of whatever falls into our laps, we must always be seeking, learning, asking questions, comparing, reading, etc.

I'm sure others have told these people that they are making us look bad, but we have free will, and telling that to people isn't going to stop them from doing what they want to do.
Fair enough ;). I think I've said all I need to say now lol.

Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
At the risk of repeating myself again y'all ought to be concerned. The Russian church is shooting itself in the foot with this behaviour and even if it's not actually the Russian church, the Russian church sure aren't doing anything about their very wayward adherents it seems.
I'm an ROC faithful, so what do you want me personally to do about it? I am already at a point where I stay away from ALL Russian news. I have lived in Russia for the first 15 years of my life and my memories are 80% horrible. Russia is where I was sexually assaulted by a pedophile and only by the grace of God did not lose my life. Russia is where I was bullied at school. Russia is where I at times went hungry and cold. Russia is where teachers insulted kids at school, where sales people insulted people in stores, where average people insulted each other on a daily basis. The church was actually a bright point in my life there. I'm whooping and hollering for joy that I'm in the U. S. now. When I came to the U. S. and for the first time in my life a teacher at school talked to me like I was a human being, I was shocked and speechless. Russia is a place where I'm never ever setting foot again.

Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mariya, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles there, but thank God you have stuck with your faith. I am sure it has helped you to be a stronger person in some way.
Thanks. A lot of times it seems that God simply wants me in church and has made it very clear to me throughout my entire life even though I have made plenty of opposing choices. It feels like He simply grabs me by the collar and brings me back. I'm realizing now at my age that there's simply no getting away from it, so I might as well make the rest of my choices accordingly.:)

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread and make it about me. Leaving the thread.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hunted: Shocking Channel 4 documentary reveals full horror of persecution in Russia where "gay people are hunted like animals" - Mirror Online

Sad, sickening stuff. That's why I don't believe things are being exaggerated over there - so few gays reportedly live openly, and things are still this bad. I'm not sure who this "Father Sergei" is - maybe Rus will know. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not even kosher, but he's going to be on this doco saying this drivel. Many are going to see it, and it looks oh so bad :(.

At the risk of repeating myself again y'all ought to be concerned. The Russian church is shooting itself in the foot with this behaviour and even if it's not actually the Russian church, the Russian church sure aren't doing anything about their very wayward adherents it seems. They don't have to agree with homosexuality to say 'leave them alone. You're making us look bad to the rest of the world'. Good grief!

AJ, I have to ask whether you apply critical thinking skills when you read this stuff.
Has it ever occurred to you that a news source might be owned by people who WANT to defame the Church? What can we possibly do about that, except try to live the Gospel and show by our lives that these things are not true about us?

When I read the article, I find that no genuine Church representative is cited. This "Fr Sergei" looks like someone I've seen with groups of self-described Orthodox activists" who seem unable or unwilling to name their bishops or identify their affiliation, church and Diocese. They're basically provocateurs who I don't think are Orthodox at all, and any journalist worth his salt could quickly figure that out, especially over here, where they KNOW about the Patriarchate, it's press liaison and so on. The sponsor of that article wants to smear the Church, and it is all too evident when they identify this "Father Sergei" as a "leader of the Orthodox Church".

You mustn't believe everything you read, and you should pay attention to what the source's general bias toward a topic is. Odds are twenty to one that the Mirror has never published a positive word -or even the Church's own position - on same-sex sexual relations. If you are reading sources that are consistently and openly hostile to the Church and traditional Christian faith, then you must expect them to be forming your views into what they want you to believe.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0