1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Christian views of Freemasonry?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Sphinx777, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sphinx777

Sphinx777 New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    What is the general Eastern Orthodox Christian teaching concerning Freemasonry?

Are Eastern Orthodox Christian clergy and laity allowed to become Masons?

Here is a similar thread I posted in Christian Philosophy and Ethics...

Can a Christian be a Freemason???

:angel:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. Kreikkalainen

Kreikkalainen You can't spell or pronounce me

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    It's clearly a religion on its own although it's trying to deny being so. As such, it can't be reconciled with Christianity.

No.

Note, before somebody jumps on me & says such and such Orthodox Christian priest bishop whatever is (usually was, after death, so we can't ask ;)) a freemason: I'm sure there are baptised Orthodox Christians who join freemasonry, just as I'm sure there are baptised Orthodox Christians who are thieves adulterers etc. That doesn't make freemasonry OK (nor adultery nor theft for that matter).

3. Vasileios

Vasileios Eastern Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Yup, what he said.

It is viewed as totally not compatible with Orthodoxy at best, a satan-worshipping cult to conspiracy theories about the Antichrist at worst.

4. Kolya

Kolya Guest

Well said, and I raise my hand to second that!!!

5. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I third it.

6. Blue Olive

Blue Olive Member

Faith:
    Other-Religion
    I don't really know very much about it. I would rather find out for myself from the source than rely on the broken telephone game that passes as the spreading of knowledge today. Is there Masonic text that indicates they worship Satan or the anti-Christ? Are their practices or actions illegal or unethical?

I would be interested to know what my priest thinks about it though.

7. Kolya

Kolya Guest

Very good idea! Then he might inform you a bit more about the Synagogue of Satan.

Who do you think lies behind 99% of Human induced evil today? They are NOT the Boy Scouts!

8. cassc

cassc Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I was wondering that same thing? I've heard (although I don't know personally) that a few generations ago a lot of recent immigrants including Orthodox ones joined to help them establish businesses. I have been to a history museum sponsored by them and everything I learned there made be agree with you guys- it's a religion not a "club" but Kolya, do you really think they are that powerful?? They seems like a bunch of old men with dwindling influence on anything...

9. Kreikkalainen

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    There are masonic texts that indicate freemasons worship something called "the great architect of the universe". Christian don't worship that. Christians worship the Holy Trinity.

But sure, talk to your priest. Way to go.

10. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Freemasonery is incompatible with Orthodoxy. They have no belief in the Trinity, but a belief in a generic God ,which is the same for every culture including polytheistic cultures such as hinduism.

They also believe that there symbol of freemasonry, a white leather apron called 'The Lambskin', is the greatest badge of a freemason superior to every other order confered upon man.

In fact the creed of the freemason upon reception of this apron is this:

"The Lambskin or white leather apron is an emblem of innocence, and the badge of a mason, more ancient than the golden fleece or the Roman eagle, more honorable than the star or the garter, or any other order that can be confered, at this, or any future period, whether by king, prince or potentate , or any person, except he be a Mason. And which i trust, you will wear with equal pleasure to youself and honor the fraternity."

The above declaration has been incorporated into the freemason funeral for those of Orthodox adherence (i have seen the text). Only that the rest of the declaration after the phrase "more honorable than the star or the garter", has been cleverly shortened and re-worded as to not raise suspicions.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  11. nikolayalexandroff

nikolayalexandroff Senior Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06166a.htm
    Here you may find more information about persecution of the RCC in France by the free-masonic III Republic. Scroll down to "The Third Republic and the Church in France".

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  12. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Has anyone encountered other episcopal letters condemning masonry?

A hieromonk of blessed memory told me about the time when he accompanied the Metropolitan during visits to American parishes. They visited a dying parish where the Liturgy was cold. The pastor of that parish wore a masonic ring. Shortly after that visit, the following encyclical was written:

http://www.orthodox.net/ecumenism/1960-metropolia-letter.html

13. Kolya

Kolya Guest

What do you think the Pyramid with the all-seeing eye on the dollar bill is all about? What organisation does every American President, and most other presidents around the world belong to?

The most powerful leaders in the world are ALL 33 degree Masons!
    The lower rungs (Which include the Round Table and Rotary Clubs ) all seem benign, but the higher they progress, the more evil they perpertrate.

When he eventually reveals himself, the Anti-christ will be one too, you can bet on that.

MariaRegina likes this.
  14. Kreikkalainen

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    There is at least one synodal decision in the Church of Greece condemning masonry. I'm sorry I can't provide links & I'll have to leave this information as somewhat anecdotal, but not everything can be found online! I think point (b) of the document in the link that you provide probably points at that decision precisely.

15. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Another curious thing is that some of the Internet links to the masons are no longer operating. It is as if they are hiding something. Oh, yeah, they are a secret organization. :doh:

Now why would an organization need secrecy? :scratch:

How can an honest person join a group about which he has no knowledge until he is initiated into this secrecy? :sorry:

Does anyone here know how to spell conspiracy? :crosseo:

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  16. MariaRegina

MariaRegina New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Amen. This is weird. I had the same problem. So, I posted Amen, and then edited. No problem.

Please do the same Kreikkalainen, and your post will appear. Otherwise it appears to be lost in a deep secret hole somewhere within cyberspace.

17. Sothron

Sothron Humble Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    It is considered a mortal sin if you will to be a Freemason as an Orthodox Christian. Ask any Orthodox priest or bishop.

18. Xpycoctomos

Xpycoctomos New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    Most Orthodox priests and bishops won't use the term "mortal sin" and don't pretend to know what that means for the afterlife even if there are (although I do like the terms for directing my own personal life)... but yes, they will almost all tell you that it is a very serious issue. Except for those who are members.

19. Xpycoctomos

Xpycoctomos New Member

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I fourth it.

20. Sothron

Sothron Humble Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    That's why I said "if you will". ;) Every priest I've spoken or read about concerning Freemasonry list it as a very serious sin and you are expressly forbidden to be a Freemason as an Orthodox Christian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.