1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Bluegrass

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by cobweb, May 10, 2011.

1. SyntheticPaper

SyntheticPaper the best mono-thingie guy there ever was

Faith:
    Lutheran
    I'm not Orthodox, so hopefully no one will kick me out, but … I love bluegrass and old time music. :D

seashale76 likes this.
  2. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    We ain't gonna kick you out & your're right much of it is good stuff.

3. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

I ended up listening to the music on that Living H2O website for like two hours last night. :p

4. cobweb

cobweb Cranky octogenarian at heart

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox

I don't know about anything that old. Most of the songs seem to be from the 17th-19th cent (when the communities came over). Stuff like Barbry Allen, Mary of the Wild Moor, Over the River Charlie, In the Pines, The Cuckou, Wayfaring Stranger.... etc.

Anything is possible though.

The old ways are dying out. When I was a teenager there was an effort to teach the the old ballads, stories, and dances in the schools. The kids would rather eat pizza and play video games.

5. SyntheticPaper

SyntheticPaper the best mono-thingie guy there ever was

Faith:
    Lutheran
    This is now my favorite thread on the entire site.

6. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! Angels Team CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Christian
  7. Antony in Tx

Antony in Tx a sinner

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I've got an idea...from now on whenever an ethnic person starts attending an OCA parish, we should say to them, "Now you're a redneck!!!"

^_^

8. choirfiend

choirfiend Senior Veteran Supporter

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    here where I am, it should be "now you're a northerner!" I bet that would get 'em. It would totally offend the ethnics AND the southerners. But hey, what do I know, I just grew up all over the country and in all kinds of parishes, seeing all kinds of stuff happen, experiencing a lot of different flavors of Orthodoxy, from all cradle to all convert. I totally don't get it, and my viewpoint is totally worthless. No more discussion, because it has to be argument. BAH!

9. cobweb

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
  10. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    Appalachian History » The Cherry Tree Carol (abridged)

This is a pretty cool hymn. Maybe this is the one you were hearing of?? I believe a similar story to the one told in this carol is found in a text called the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  11. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    No, not this one although this seems really good & thanks for it. A few years ago I recall listening to a culture news segment on NPR re Appalachia & one of the researchers mentioned about an ancient Christmas carol dating back to the 9th c in Yorkshire that was being sung by an old woman & had been forgotten probably everywhere else. The song was about the manger animals singing praise to the birth of the Lord & only on Christmas eve do they sing like humans. I wish I had more to go on. Undoubtedly the American Appalachians have observed Christmas in their homes that harken back to ancient times & some of the bluegrass music must have this as its seeds.

12. cobweb

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I am familiar with the story of the animals, but I don't know the song. The tradition goes that at midnight on Christmas Eve, the farm animals are granted human speech because of the kindness the animals in the stable showed to the Christ child.

The closest I could find for a song was (definitely NOT a 9th cent melody):

YouTube - The Friendly Beasts