Status
Not open for further replies.

lightwait

Aug 7, 2004
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I will only use English. I can however, substantiate my "so far" understanding in Hebrew and Greek. I want to use the Bible only—nothing extra-Biblical.

I hope your comments will be kind and not derogatory. These are thoughts—I am not claiming them to be true. I have found so many variables from which to make my choices that I just want to discuss them. I love Jesus. If you find the need to prove me incorrect, I give you permission to be nice.

"In the beginning..."

Jesus said, "I am the beginning...

Re 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

"In" can mean and the first meaning of "In" is: expressing the situation of something that is or appears to be enclosed or surrounded by something else—inside, within.

In English (I know it is not in the Hebrew or the Greek) the word "the" is the definite article. In the King James english the word "the" was used to mean: "the rock"—God rock, "a rock"—any rock, "the beginning"—God beginning.

We are told in ("in" within) the ("the" God scripture) scripture that we came "by" and "through" Christ Jesus and that we reside in (within) Him. Jesus ascended far above the heavens and the earth where he originally resided. We and the heavens and the earth are in or within Christ Jesus.

“(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)” Ephesians 4:9, 10, KJV.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Col 1:16 For by (the Greek word for "by" is "en" which means "in") him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

“For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.” 1 Corinthians 15:27, KJV.

History began at the time of creation—once created. When we are in eternity—time pales.

So, "In the beginning..." could possibly mean that we were created and our origins are within Christ Jesus who is the beginning. If that were so then the first verse, Gen. 1, would not be an historical phrase—the first verse would reconcile where we are—in Christ—not when we began. History would start after we are where we are.

I spent 15 years studying physics in an academic purview prior to meeting Jesus, so you can see how I wanted to hang on to the arguments pro sand cons concerning all the discussions that get us nowhere. I believe God created the heavens and the earth in Christ and that solves any difficulties I might have had.

Blessings

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, there is much writing, in theology, about finding our origin in Christ. Dietrich Bonhoeffer spends the whole first chapter of Ethics discussing that. His interpretation of Genesis is not opposed to YEC, per se, but it certainly causes one to rethink the purpose of Genesis and why God gave it to us.

This notion of Christ as the origin is what we lost in the Fall, and what we regained in the Incarnation, Death, and Resurrection.

Upvote 0

lightwait

Aug 7, 2004
✟7,711.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Willtor said:
Actually, there is much writing, in theology, about finding our origin in Christ. Dietrich Bonhoeffer spends the whole first chapter of Ethics discussing that. His interpretation of Genesis is not opposed to YEC, per se, but it certainly causes one to rethink the purpose of Genesis and why God gave it to us.

This notion of Christ as the origin is what we lost in the Fall, and what we regained in the Incarnation, Death, and Resurrection.
Thanks for your reply. I read about or some of Bonhoeffer 30 years ago, do you recall if he worked it out in any way that I suggested. I am getting along in years and I don't remember how I got the idea I posted.

OFF TOPIC: I find that I am not allowed to subscribe to any threads. I tried what I think is all of the info on the matter and there is no help. The drop down menue says "No Email Notification", can you tell me why or where I can go to find out why?

If you can, I appreaciate you help.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lightwait said:
Thanks for your reply. I read about or some of Bonhoeffer 30 years ago, do you recall if he worked it out in any way that I suggested. I am getting along in years and I don't remember how I got the idea I posted.

Yeah, he discusses the Fall in terms of Man taking his eyes off God (same as Athanasius). Man takes his eyes off God and "loses his origin." He regains it in the Incarnation of Christ. This is one of the things that makes hypostasis so important to his theology.

lightwait said:
OFF TOPIC: I find that I am not allowed to subscribe to any threads. I tried what I think is all of the info on the matter and there is no help. The drop down menue says "No Email Notification", can you tell me why or where I can go to find out why?

If you can, I appreaciate you help.

Blessings

I don't know why this would be. It might be that you have to exceed a certain number of posts or something. I wouldn't know who to PM, but the FAQs may have the names of the forum administrators.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.