Massachusetts
✟339,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In another words the same as brain damage.
Sure it's brain damage. The point, though, is that the two halves of the brain become independent, functioning units, each capable of thinking and remembering for itself. Which is the "real" person?

What about the little girl who had the left side of her brain completely removed yet her memory (except the motor and speech skills which had to be relearned) and personality was fully intact.
What about it? She lost capabilities specific to that side of the brain. The brain has considerable plasticity and redundancy, especially in the young. (She probably already cognitive deficits, by the way -- most patients who undergo hemispherectomy do).

While not all loss of brain tissue changes personality, quite often it does, and changes to particular parts of the brain cause characteristic losses. Frontotermporal dementia often causes changes to moral behavior.

As for the case I'm referring to it was on a TV ... maybe on Nova but not sure. It's been a few years ago.
I can't find any record of such a case. The closest seems to be these girls, who are sometimes inaccurately described as sharing a brain; in reality, they may share a neural connection between their two separate brains.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sure it's brain damage. The point, though, is that the two halves of the brain become independent, functioning units, each capable of thinking and remembering for itself. Which is the "real" person?
which is what both halves of our brain does all the time. We do a lot of things daily automatically without thinking about it. I drove to work this morning with very little thought personally. This is like asking when someone is on drugs which is the real person?
What about it? She lost capabilities specific to that side of the brain. The brain has considerable plasticity and redundancy, especially in the young. (She probably already cognitive deficits, by the way -- most patients who undergo hemispherectomy do).

While not all loss of brain tissue changes personality, quite often it does, and changes to particular parts of the brain cause characteristic losses. Frontotermporal dementia often causes changes to moral behavior.
so does drugs. The girl I'm referring to was 12 years old which was a lot older than most children having this surgery.

I can't find any record of such a case. The closest seems to be these girls, who are sometimes inaccurately described as sharing a brain; in reality, they may share a neural connection between their two separate brains.
I have a feeling they're probably dead by now but they were much older. They noted that in most cases they don't live long because the weaker twin will eventually overburden the stronger one.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Our personality is shown as a type of brain function. So, I imagine that the physical loss of a part of brain will "eliminate" a part of the personality, but not to "change" the personality of the person. Could we do this kind of experiment by using large animals (they have larger brain)?

From DNA to brain, are we narrowing down, or broadening up the source of personality?

Upvote 0
Is the personality of a person cultured or born with?

From examples of identical twins, I tend to think it is something we born to have. If so, what is the origin of it? It should not be (or is more than) a biological inheritance (controlled by some DNAs. Do identical twins have identical DNA?).

I wonder what have we known about it through science.

The particular spirit that dwells within the person is what determines his/her personality with assistance from the parents. Many things in each life may be determining factors such as life experiences. Where do we draw the line?

I think that it's simple enough to say that it's spiritual and there are only two spirits to choose from, God's or satan's, and then the individual character traits are honed and perfected by the driving spirit. There will be either and both the offspring of God and that of satan, only.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The particular spirit that dwells within the person is what determines his/her personality with assistance from the parents. Many things in each life may be determining factors such as life experiences. Where do we draw the line?

I think that it's simple enough to say that it's spiritual and there are only two spirits to choose from, God's or satan's, and then the individual character traits are honed and perfected by the driving spirit. There will be either and both the offspring of God and that of satan, only.

The line is at the personality of a new-born baby. Everything comes to the baby at later time is additional (added-on). The added-on part is important. But that does not belong to the origin problem.

There has to be a spirit in addition to God's and satan's. That special spirit distinguish this baby from that baby at birth. In fact, I think neither God's spirit nor satan's spirit is with the baby at the birth.

If you have an idea about satan's spirit, why can't you expand it to include spirit of other angels? God and satan are sort-of two extremes. There are many many angels in between them. Is it possible for a baby born with the spirit of a particular angel and it gives the "initial" personality to the baby?

Upvote 0