dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following text is not original with me, but I'm not citing the source because I don't want *it* to distract from the point of the thread. I think it's important that we hash out what's right or wrong with the following points so that we can rightly divide the word of truth and not impose interpretations on the Bible that aren't warranted...

On the one hand, there are Christians who understand the days of Genesis as 24-hour, consecutive periods for reasons such as the following: (1) The days of Gen. 1 are consecutively numbered and comprised of an "evening and morning." (2) Exo. 20:8-11 commands a literal week of six days of work and one day of rest based on God's original creation/rest week. The two weeks would seem, then, to be of equal duration. (3) According to Rom. 5:12, "sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin," but OECs would have animal death entering the world before the sin of Adam & Eve.

On the other hand, there are Christians who argue against 24-hour creation days for reasons such as these: (1) The word "yom" is used in different ways in the creation account. For instance, Gen. 1:5 refers yom only to daytime (daylight), not night-time. Also, Gen. 2:4, literally translated, speaks of "the yom that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." (2) God's rest on the seventh "day" has no evening and morning (Gen. 2:2-3), and Heb. 4:3-11 portrays this same Sabbath as continuing to the present time. (3) Adam could not have named all the birds and animals in 24 hours according to Gen. 2.

What does everyone think of these two points of view?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the underwhelming response the OP has gotten, let me put it a different way...

On the one hand, there are Christians who understand the days of Genesis as 24-hour, consecutive periods for reasons such as the following: (1) The days of Gen. 1 are consecutively numbered and comprised of an "evening and morning." (2) Exo. 20:8-11 commands a literal week of six days of work and one day of rest based on God's original creation/rest week. The two weeks would seem, then, to be of equal duration. (3) According to Rom. 5:12, "sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin," but OECs would have animal death entering the world before the sin of Adam & Eve.

OECs, do you accept the logic among these points? Or can they be refuted?

On the other hand, there are Christians who argue against 24-hour creation days for reasons such as these: (1) The word "yom" is used in different ways in the creation account. For instance, Gen. 1:5 refers yom only to daytime (daylight), not night-time. Also, Gen. 2:4, literally translated, speaks of "the yom that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." (2) God's rest on the seventh "day" has no evening and morning (Gen. 2:2-3), and Heb. 4:3-11 portrays this same Sabbath as continuing to the present time. (3) Adam could not have named all the birds and animals in 24 hours according to Gen. 2.

YECs, do you accept the logic among these points? Can they be refuted?

It seems to me that only one paradigm can be correct, and I'd like to discuss what may be wrong with either paradigm in order to come up with the correct understanding of Genesis 1's "days". Thanks.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following text is not original with me, but I'm not citing the source because I don't want *it* to distract from the point of the thread. I think it's important that we hash out what's right or wrong with the following points so that we can rightly divide the word of truth and not impose interpretations on the Bible that aren't warranted...

What does everyone think of these two points of view?

Hi dysert,

Well, I can tell you that I'm on the first hand. Personally, I don't find the second argument compelling. He writes:

The word "yom" is used in different ways in the creation account. For instance, Gen. 1:5 refers yom only to daytime (daylight), not night-time.

I've always allowed that if we only look at the word 'yom' that we cannot make any definitive claim as to the length it denotes. But, when one adds the textual evidence of morning and evening and numbering that he mentions under hand 'one', I find it hard to just ignore that evidence. Evidence is evidence. There are many words in the english language that if you just write the word on a blank piece of paper, others will likely not understand what meaning is intended to be conveyed. 'Yom' in the hebraic language is a similar word and so one must, absolutely must, define it by it's contextual evidence.

So, yes, if one wants to throw out the contextual evidences, then one can make the word itself mean several things. Of course, this then begs the question, how does the writer know, then, that 'yom' in Gen. 1:5 is referring only to daytime? I'll bet he used contextual evidence to determine that. However, I will allow that it probably isn't this writer who made the determination that 'yom' in this case is referring only to daylight. It was probably the translators depending on contextual evidence.

He then writes that for those on hand two:

God's rest on the seventh "day" has no evening and morning.

He is correct, but why that fact would negate the contextual evidence of the previous six days escapes me.

Finally, he writes:

Adam could not have named all the birds and animals in 24 hours according to Gen. 2.

Why not? First, again we must be careful to read what the Scriptures say. I'm not convinced that God's word says that Adam named 'every' animal, but speaks specifically of livestock, birds and 'beasts' of the field. We don't know how these animals arrived before Adam. We don't know if Adam had to go searching for each one or they just appeared as they seem to have done in Noah's day, by the command of their Creator. If, these animals all stood together before Adam, I don't see any problem with Adam naming them all in a day.

In the summer around here the days can be a bit more than twelve hours long. Try sitting on your porch for 12 hours and see how many animals you can name, assuming that they are parading in front of you. I've walked through many zoos, some of them fairly extensive in their collection of animals, in less than a day. And I had to walk! So, I don't think we really have enough information to be able to say that the task is impossible to complete in a day. I rather imagine that if Adam were standing in the garden and all the animals of the garden came parading by him in some fashion as one might imagine the animals came into the ark, that Adam would have had time to even stop and get some coffee over at WaWa's while he completed his task.

Of course, I guess the best piece of Scripture to keep in mind whenever we begin to say that something in God's word seems 'impossible' is: Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

'All things are possible'. Let's repeat until understood. 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible' -- with God.

Now you have my two cents worth that you requested.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi dysert,

Well, I can tell you that I'm on the first hand. Personally, I don't find the second argument compelling. He writes:

The word "yom" is used in different ways in the creation account. For instance, Gen. 1:5 refers yom only to daytime (daylight), not night-time.

I've always allowed that if we only look at the word 'yom' that we cannot make any definitive claim as to the length it denotes. But, when one adds the textual evidence of morning and evening and numbering that he mentions under hand 'one', I find it hard to just ignore that evidence. Evidence is evidence. There are many words in the english language that if you just write the word on a blank piece of paper, others will likely not understand what meaning is intended to be conveyed. 'Yom' in the hebraic language is a similar word and so one must, absolutely must, define it by it's contextual evidence.

So, yes, if one wants to throw out the contextual evidences, then one can make the word itself mean several things. Of course, this then begs the question, how does the writer know, then, that 'yom' in Gen. 1:5 is referring only to daytime? I'll bet he used contextual evidence to determine that. However, I will allow that it probably isn't this writer who made the determination that 'yom' in this case is referring only to daylight. It was probably the translators depending on contextual evidence.

He then writes that for those on hand two:

God's rest on the seventh "day" has no evening and morning.

He is correct, but why that fact would negate the contextual evidence of the previous six days escapes me.

Finally, he writes:

Adam could not have named all the birds and animals in 24 hours according to Gen. 2.

Why not? First, again we must be careful to read what the Scriptures say. I'm not convinced that God's word says that Adam named 'every' animal, but speaks specifically of livestock, birds and 'beasts' of the field. We don't know how these animals arrived before Adam. We don't know if Adam had to go searching for each one or they just appeared as they seem to have done in Noah's day, by the command of their Creator. If, these animals all stood together before Adam, I don't see any problem with Adam naming them all in a day.

In the summer around here the days can be a bit more than twelve hours long. Try sitting on your porch for 12 hours and see how many animals you can name, assuming that they are parading in front of you. I've walked through many zoos, some of them fairly extensive in their collection of animals, in less than a day. And I had to walk! So, I don't think we really have enough information to be able to say that the task is impossible to complete in a day. I rather imagine that if Adam were standing in the garden and all the animals of the garden came parading by him in some fashion as one might imagine the animals came into the ark, that Adam would have had time to even stop and get some coffee over at WaWa's while he completed his task.

Of course, I guess the best piece of Scripture to keep in mind whenever we begin to say that something in God's word seems 'impossible' is: Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

'All things are possible'. Let's repeat until understood. 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible', 'All things are possible' -- with God.

Now you have my two cents worth that you requested.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
Thanks, Ted. So you seem firmly in the YEC camp. I'm not going to be divisive in this thread, but I would like to hear from someone in the OEC camp. Ultimately, I think you'd agree, that the Bible is true, and if it doesn't match reality it's our understanding of the text which is in error, not the Word itself.

Upvote 0