[OPEN]What is the biggest ethical issue facing the world today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
stumpjumper said:
Well, like the title says...

And what can we do together to help counteract this ethical dilemma(s)?

Same as it's always been...sin, the only real ethical issue. Every relative 'ethical issue' is simply a manifestation of sin in one form or another.

The way to counteract this 'ethical dilemma' is to live holy lives as the Body of Christ, since this is our true calling as believers.

Simonline.

Upvote 0
D

Dungbeetle

stumpjumper said:
Well, like the title says...

And what can we do together to help counteract this ethical dilemma(s)?

The biggest ethical issue facing the world today....

There are several and they all stem from the sin of selfishness.

Abortion
Murder
Killing
Starvation
War

Anything which causes death, destruction and suffering. These are the main ethical issues and they all stem from selfishness and human greed.

What can we do about it? I really don't know.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dungbeetle said:
The biggest ethical issue facing the world today....

There are several and they all stem from the sin of selfishness.

Oh, I quite agree... You might like an OP I wrote about a couple weeks ago:
http://www.christianforums.com/t3235216-selfishness-as-the-source-of-sin-and-evil.html

I thought it was pretty good ;)

Anything which causes death, destruction and suffering. These are the main ethical issues and they all stem from selfishness and human greed.

What can we do about it? I really don't know.

Absolutely. I would certainly find it true that world poverty is a direct result of the selfishness of those that have what they do not need.*

*Finding myself in that corner too many times...:(

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NewGuy101 said:
The biggest plauge in the church right now I would say is homosexuality and it's acceptance of the worlds teachings...not biblical teachings.

Really?

You don't think that world hunger, abortion, rank consumerism, divorce and the aftermath that it causes for the children are more damaging on the lives of others (to name a few sins)?

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
stumpjumper said:
Really?

You don't think that world hunger, abortion, rank consumerism, divorce and the aftermath that it causes for the children are more damaging on the lives of others (to name a few sins)?
I'm more conserned with issues regarding the church. If we have a mess in the inside how can we possible help the world through all other issues such as hunger, abortion..ect

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NewGuy101 said:
I'm more conserned with issues regarding the church. If we have a mess in the inside how can we possible help the world through all other issues such as hunger, abortion..ect

Yes, but those other things are also issues within the Church and also create quite a mess.

Additionally, most denominations recognize that homoerotocism is a sin (at least mine does) so since we have that down we should focus on world hunger and reducing the abortion rate... No?

Upvote 0

Maccie

Jul 3, 2004
NW England, UK
✟1,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about injustice? It is injustice that breeds poverty, exploitation, and these in their turn breed crime of all descriptions.

Throwing money at a problem is not necessarily the right thing to do. A more equitable distribution of that money, world-wide would be. Where everyone gets a fair wage for a fair day's work, where the big corporations don't freeze out the smaller guys. Where the worth of a man or woman is not in what they earn, but in what they give. Where values are not skewed, so that "celebrities" are paid far more than the farmer who works to feed, or over feed them.

We can't do everything. Pick just one thing, fair trade, educating women, enabling children to go to school, good medical care for everyone, and then campaign, contribute, preach, whatever.

Love your neighbour as you love yourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
stumpjumper said:
Yes, but those other things are also issues within the Church and also create quite a mess.

Additionally, most denominations recognize that homoerotocism is a sin (at least mine does) so since we have that down we should focus on world hunger and reducing the abortion rate... No?
The problem is that we WE DON'T have that down. Not to mention the number of actual christians in church are extremely low not to mention everyday the church (as a whole) seems to be acception homosexuality and the worlds teachings.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NewGuy101 said:
The problem is that we WE DON'T have that down. Not to mention the number of actual christians in church are extremely low not to mention everyday the church (as a whole) seems to be acception homosexuality and the worlds teachings.

What are the "world's teachings"?

I don't know about you but I have been attending Lutheran and Catholic Churches most of my life and I find the teachings pretty scriptural and liturgical.

Lutherans don't elevate one sin and make it much nastier than others generally, either...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
stumpjumper said:
What are the "world's teachings"?

I don't know about you but I have been attending Lutheran and Catholic Churches most of my life and I find the teachings pretty scriptural and liturgical.

Lutherans don't elevate one sin and make it much nastier than others generally, either...
For one I don't agree with a lot of catholic doctrine; Lutheran doctrine is fine for most of the part. Look at other denominations and their teachings, more humanism and relativism is creeping in.

And no one is making another sin more nastier than others, just stating how some members of churchers are accepting more that sin as to be "normal."

Upvote 0
D

Dungbeetle

NewGuy101 said:
For one I don't agree with a lot of catholic doctrine; Lutheran doctrine is fine for most of the part. Look at other denominations and their teachings, more humanism and relativism is creeping in.

Ad no one is making another sin more nastier than others, just stating how some members of churchers are accepting more that sin as to be "normal."

IMO homosexuality is a much lesser sin than abortion. At least with homosexuality no-one gets killed. It is almost a protection from abortion. There is no way that two gays are going to need an abortion.

Christian homosexuality is more to do with people living moral lives i.e. trying to live a moral life and striving towards monogamy as an ideal, with the avoidance of promiscuity at all costs.

Reactions: stumpjumper
Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Dungbeetle said:
IMO homosexuality is a much lesser sin than abortion. At least with homosexuality no-one gets killed. It is almost a protection from abortion. There is no way that two gays are going to need an abortion.

Christian homosexuality is more to do with people living moral lives i.e. trying to live a moral life and striving towards monogamy as an ideal, with the avoidance of promiscuity at all costs.
That's exactly my point that's why I said homosexuality and more worldy teachings creeping into the church. I was reffering more to homosexuality right since the recent debates here that so many homo advocates seem to discuss.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dungbeetle said:

:)

I agree. Having four kids and seeing God's love displayed in them makes me see abortion as much worse and something that needs to be addressed as the abotion rate only rises each passing year...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.