A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Regardless of what the Bible says," -- hmmm, interesting, reminds me of the attitude of my teenagers. They know everything too.
I was in hopes mine would move out while they knew it all but after they did they forgot and became parents lololol

Upvote 0

ShermanN

Feb 18, 2007
White House, TN
✟16,853.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, Jesus having more than one "bride" would go against our embedded (gut-level) theology.

Of course though, the church being the Bride of Christ is a metaphor, and one uses metaphors to illustrate truth, not to establish truth. The point of the church being the Bride of Christ is to illustrate the organic familial husbandly (leadership, provision, and love) relationship that Jesus has with the church. It's not meant to address the doctrine of either polygamy or monogamy.

On the other hand, in Jer.3.6-14 God is calling Judah back to faithfulness and threatens to divorce her like he did Israel if she doesn't repent and then goes on to say that if Israel repented he would take her back. So apparently He is or was married to both Israel and Judah, two sisters. So in this passage, not only is God a divorce' too, but apparently also a polygamist. hmmm- interesting.

But of course, we shouldn't use metaphors, analogies, or parables to establish truth; but they are used to illustrate truth.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Good point, but for clarification, the 10 virgins were bridesmaids, not the brides.
JBIDe,
From my study of the parable of the 10 virgins, bridesmaids is an interpretation, if I remember right the Greek is just virgin. Its been 3 years since I read anything in detail on this passage.
Tho I did read the New International Reader's version recently, they have "bridesmaids" and thought, "WOW, they just put their interpretaion into their translation!"

dayhiker

Upvote 0

ShermanN

Feb 18, 2007
White House, TN
✟16,853.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JBIDe,
From my study of the parable of the 10 virgins, bridesmaids is an interpretation, if I remember right the Greek is just virgin. Its been 3 years since I read anything in detail on this passage.
Tho I did read the New International Reader's version recently, they have "bridesmaids" and thought, "WOW, they just put their interpretaion into their translation!"

dayhiker
I believe that "bridesmaids" is pretty good translation in this passage. Though polygamy was part of their culture, I know of no evidence, biblical or extra-biblical, of men marrying multiple women simultaneously, much less some of the wives-to-be not being allowed into their own wedding party because they were late.

This is another example of using parables and metaphors incorrectly. The parable is about being watchful for the coming of the Lord, and possibly about being ready at a moments notice for Him to radically reveal Himself in your life; it's not about marriage and does not give any weight to the argument con- or pro-monogamy/polygamy.

Upvote 0

TheFathersDaughter

The Revolution has Started
Mar 3, 2007
✟9,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I all members of the party consent and don't mind, fine. However I doubt you'll manage to find a polygamous relationship where the two wives don't feel jealousy of one another. That's the biggest problem with polygamous relationships. Frankly, I find it selfish. Why? Because you're choosing to put your desire above your spouse or spouses. You'd rather marry three girls and fulfill your "love" for them, but you'll ignore the feelings of said girls who all feel like they're having to share you. That doesn't make for a good relationship.

Upvote 0

ShermanN

Feb 18, 2007
White House, TN
✟16,853.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
FathersDaughter,

When you say "you", who are you referring to? I'm happily married to one woman and have no plans or desire for that to change. Furthermore, in my wedding vows I pledged my love uniquely to my wife. Not only that, but if I even seriously thought about personally trying to become polygamous some way, she'd kill me! lol

Seriously though, it's important to passionately study the Word so as to distill the truths and principles that apply to all cultures. Biblically speaking, it's evident to me that God endorses monogamy, but He does not forbid either polygamy or polyandry. God is much more gracious than we are realizing that we're all a mess, no matter what culture we live in. We all fall short of the glory of God and are totally dependent upon His grace, the undeserved favor that He has on us for life, both temporal and eternal.

I note that you're only 16 and I pray that you have as good of and even a better marriage than my wife and I have!:clap:

Sincerely,
Sherman

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
There's a heck of a lot more biblical precedent for polygamy than there is for same sex marriage. Personally I think it would just be a hassle and a waste of time and energy.

Can you tell me about polygamy in nations and states which have legalized same sex marriage?

edit: there's another name for that argument, it's called slippery slope.

Actually when our country introduced same sex marriage laws, they took steps to ensure that polygamy/bigamy couldnt happen

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I all members of the party consent and don't mind, fine. However I doubt you'll manage to find a polygamous relationship where the two wives don't feel jealousy of one another. That's the biggest problem with polygamous relationships. Frankly, I find it selfish. Why? Because you're choosing to put your desire above your spouse or spouses. You'd rather marry three girls and fulfill your "love" for them, but you'll ignore the feelings of said girls who all feel like they're having to share you. That doesn't make for a good relationship.
I agree with you father'sdaughter, only if all parties consent.
The Bible view of polygamy is partriarchal. I don't see that working for most women in America. The poly people that I've meet don't follow that model. They are working on new models where the women are getting what they desire out of the relationship as well as the men. Its not a very easy thing.

As far as jealousy is concern ... its interesting that jealousy is in some of the lists of sins in the Bible.
Poly people use jealousy feelings to say I've got some issues I need to work on. They then invite their partner(s) to decuss the situation that is causing the jealousy and see if they can learn the cause. I find that very healthy.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I believe that "bridesmaids" is pretty good translation in this passage. Though polygamy was part of their culture, I know of no evidence, biblical or extra-biblical, of men marrying multiple women simultaneously, much less some of the wives-to-be not being allowed into their own wedding party because they were late.

This is another example of using parables and metaphors incorrectly. The parable is about being watchful for the coming of the Lord, and possibly about being ready at a moments notice for Him to radically reveal Himself in your life; it's not about marriage and does not give any weight to the argument con- or pro-monogamy/polygamy.
HI Sherman ...
I agree with what you said.
But it does seem to me that Jesus is comfortable using a polygamy type description in the parable to speak to the importance of being ready.
The other thing I've not come across is a comment that handmaids would be virgins. I've not read in any of the cultural books I've read a comment if handmadens were require to be virgins, or if they could be married such as is common today.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dayhiker,

I don't think the parable is saying "bridesmaids must be virgins".

"Virgin" back then was a common term for "young girl" as well (doesn't necessarily apply today, does it?)

The alternative would be to believe (as Sherman said...)
1. The Bridegroom was marrying many women at once.
2. Simply not having oil and falling asleep would be reason to lock the bride out of her own wedding feast.

The former seems more plausible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually when our country introduced same sex marriage laws, they took steps to ensure that polygamy/bigamy couldnt happen
How and why?

If one thinks the traditional marriage definition is wrong and restrictive, what makes this restriction any better?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.