New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Only Human?

A man ought to be able to change a water pump, and I thought I’d done a good job replacing the one in my 1940 Ford. Little did I know the piece of cardboard I’d thrown away was really a gasket. Without it the pump was useless. My wife and I left Conroe, Texas, where I’d just preached a Sunday morning service, and headed toward home, 159 miles away in Waco. Five miles outside of Conroe our car started to steam. “We need a mechanic, “my wife said, “and there’s none to be found on this road.”

Back then, in 1952, there was only one route between Waco and Conroe, Highway 105. For many miles nothing but trees lined the road. Lord, this car won’t hold out much longer.

Just up the way, a tiny gas station came into view. Mechanic on duty, said the handwritten sign out front. “Now when did they put that up?” I wondered.

An old fellow in overalls rigged up a temporary gasket, even though I didn’t have any cash on me to pay him. “Don’t worry about that, “the man said. Back home in Waco, we had a new gasket installed.

On our next trip to Conroe we looked forward to paying the man who’d helped us. “It should be just beyond that cluster of trees, “my wife said several miles outside Conroe. But there was nothing but trees. No matter how many times we made that trip, we never saw that gas station again.

By J. P. McCamey

Submitted by Richard